It's already the freaki'n weekend finds

2»

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    A few cool things from the last week or so.

The Blues Magoos are both great albums, Syndicate Of Sound is awesome too. The Lee Morgan is a mid 60s comp of his Vee-Jay stuff, stellar lineup & great tunes. Numero niceness X2.

Took a chance on a couple of odd 45s that I don't know as well as some other common ones. The Spades on Zero I need to research but it seems cool, The Ronnie Self on Amy is dull country ballads not rockabilly, The Doors 'Hello I Love You' & 'Love Her Madly', early local press Sam Cooke 'You Were Made For Me', Johnny Cash 'I Walk The Line', Ivy Peebles 'Since You've Been Gone' is kinda cool in a weird not quite cool way, more Numero Twinights, George McGregor, Mystiques & Nate Evans.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Spades on Zero I need to research but it seems cool

It's a boot (I assume) of Roky Erickson's original band's version
    of his song "You're Gonna Miss Me" that pre-dates his recording of
    the same song with his next band, the 13th Floor Elevators, by at
    least a few months if not almost a year. There are probably 50x more
    bootlegs than originals, although I don't even know if Zero is the OG
    label, it may just be a re-press and not a repro.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Yo - what's the Radio Trax like? Produced here in NZ right? There are some copies flating around... but they're going for coin.

Yeah, the radio tracks album is a NZ thing. I'm under the impression there are a few different ones? This one has exclusive cuts from the 1860 Band and soem group called Cohesion that are really good. I like. Tell me more about this series? Are there other good titles?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

Cool, that saves me some googling. I thought it was just some band covering the Elevators. I pulled it out of a few boxes of other 45s that were mostly all crap.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Cool, that saves me some googling. I thought it was just some band covering the Elevators. I pulled it out of a few boxes of other 45s that were mostly all crap.

The repro/boot and original look identical...the thickness and feel of a '65 vs. late 70's press should make it obvious as to if you have an original or not. OG sells for $10K....repro might bring $100

The flip "We Sell Soul" is also a great cut.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    http://www.gearheadmom.com/images/uploads/reviews/fpsesame.jpg">
    look like a bike ride straight to the once fertile stomping grounds of the past! I think I have a little people bike rack for those.

• finally i found the first Timmion release:
    Ostari Njengi "U-Bo-Te" on 7"

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    London, France, trade finds

but fuck the finds....this was certainly the highlight of the trip

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Congrats on the engagement? Very nice records. Nicer looking ring!!

Plane tickets to Europe: 2000 Euros

Food bought from a streetside vendor: 4 Euros

Rare phonographic records: 700 Euros

Angry girlfriend who's facial expression changes at the
    sight of forever love: Priceless

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    your yard must look like a junkyard!!

• Congrats Maru.

Whats that Alan Shelly 45 like?

Dress

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    thanks to j***** for the jackie orczasky 45!

YAY!

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Yo Maru those are some dope records. Congrats on the engagement.

I copped a lot of records today - Caught up with Sheep (stay away from San Jose!), Shitzr, Jinx and Om (WHERE'S THAT GODZILLA AT?) over at the KUSF show. Major props to Cool Chris for hookin' it up with point blank one of the illest drum breaks I have ever heard (great record too). This dude will play you a record like "yeah...everyone I play this one for buys it within 6 seconds of hearing the break."

I don't usually post in these threads but here we go, copped some basic 45s that I don't see often in the Bay, mostly from Mike V. and Jinx:

Spencer Jackson Family - Bring Back Peace to the World (Scarab, Pharaohs related)
    Syl Johnson - Annie's Got Hot Pants Power (Twinlight)
    Syl Johnson - Is It Because I'm Black (Twinlight)
    Syl Johnson - Try Me (Twilight)
    The Notations - I'm Still Here (Twinlight)
    The Reflections - Poor Man's Soul (Golden World)
    James Brown - Give it Up or Turn It Loose
    Aretha Franklin - Rock Steady
    The Meters - A Message from the Meters
    The Meters - Sophisticated Sissy
    B.W. - Souls - Marvin's Groove
    Johnson, Hawkins, Tatum & Durr - A World Without You (Capsoul)
    Holy Disciples - Trying to Make a Hundred (Song Bird, OV Wright
    related)

A dope and slept on 12-inch from the Groove Merchant:

M.C. Tee & Lord Tasheem - Gangster Nine

And some LPs from San Francisco's illest buddhist DJ, DJ Om (cop that Naan & Curry!)

Roberto Roena y su Apollo Sound 4 (International)
    The Impressions - Three the Hard Way
    Earth Wind and Fire - S/T (replacing multiple VG copies related)

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
    Stuff I dug up yesterday

and some bits from a fair a week or so back

The Morning Sky is a certified killer, and the Ted Vining Trio is better than I thought it would be too.

if you want to get rid of morning sky i'm gripping for that one ever since lambert sent me a rip of it.

• ageage 1,131 Posts
    Man I just missed you (by 5 minutes or so B******)
    oh...
    (stay away from San Jose!)
    Stop the hate.(really..stop.)

Good seeing the folks today!

Congrats Maru and much peace and happiness to you and yours.
    When is the big day going to take place?

• planlessplanless 819 Posts
    London, France, trade finds

what??s the record at the top on the right with the hand in the mincer? looks interesting. how is it?

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Plane tickets to Europe: 2000 Euros

Food bought from a streetside vendor: 4 Euros

Rare phonographic records: 700 Euros

Angry girlfriend who's facial expression changes at the
    sight of forever love: Priceless

Thanks all. My digging time was golden after the proposal. Wedding, probably not until Fall 2009.

Haven't listened to the Allan Shelly yet. He used to play with Manu Dibango so my guess is it's some afro-beat realness. The hand mincer record is Zappatta Shmidt, nice funky rock.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    congrats Maru!
    eat a lot of croissants to celebrate!

• but fuck the finds....this was certainly the highlight of the trip

Conratulations man!

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

The Morning Sky is a certified killer, and the Ted Vining Trio is better than I thought it would be too.

if you want to get rid of morning sky i'm gripping for that one ever since lambert sent me a rip of it.

I am very curious to hear the Morning Sky since I was born in New Hampshire and lived there 18 years.... does anyone have additional info on that LP? better yet... Dave or Lambert.. post to realheadz?? I'll do a new thread there now.

thanks

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Local come-ups -

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    RAMP
    RAMP
    RAMP
    RAMP
    RAMP

WAXIDERMY CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

... just ignore me, thanks.

CONGRATS, MARU! That ring is a beauty!

RAMP IS FOR THE CHILDREN.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    It was so weird looking at the back cover of that RAMP LP. I've seen the front so many times in pictures but I had never actually seen the back of it. Now on to Skull Snaps and Stark Reality and I can complete my 1995 wall of fame!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    It was so weird looking at the back cover of that RAMP LP. I've seen the front so many times in pictures but I had never actually seen the back of it. Now on to Skull Snaps and Stark Reality and I can complete my 1995 wall of fame!

You're forgetting 24 carat black and Syl Johnson (or are you)

wait, I'm jealous.

onto other questions, Did morning Sky get a US release. I have a jazz fusion LP called morning sky somewhere in my junk heap. is this the same album?

• davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts

I am very curious to hear the Morning Sky since I was born in New Hampshire and lived there 18 years.... does anyone have additional info on that LP? better yet... Dave or Lambert.. post to realheadz?? I'll do a new thread there now.

thanks
    i don't have the cd here with me but i'm lambert could do it.

as far as sound this record sounds a little bit like starcrost, which to me is good since i like the starcrost record. sort of hippie funky jazz with vox.

• doughboydoughboy 190 Posts

Crap pic. Interesting rekkid... from Illinois?? Seems to be cut after a band comp in '74. There was a booklet in the sleeve - detailing who was competing etc... judges were saxophnist Nathan Davis and one R. Holmes - maybe Rick?

Most of it's kind of straight ahead but there is a stonking balls out version of Freedom Jazz Dance on there - makes the Woody Herman version sound 'polite' + a nice rhodes workout.

Odd one to pick in this neck of the woods.

Will try to post a clip.

Also picked up a copy of Vibration Society - The Music Of Rahsaan Roland Kirk with a beautiful version of Spirits Up Above on it.

Got both on trade - love getting those crap top 40 CDs through work and flipping them for decent music.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts

those weren't at goodwill were they? i remember passing up on a bunch of those 45s on roncesvalles a while back.

Not goodwill, Im suprised you would see those at the Ronces Goodwill I never ever see anything interesting there. You been to the market lately?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

thanks

i don't have the cd here with me but i'm lambert could do it.

as far as sound this record sounds a little bit like starcrost, which to me is good since i like the starcrost record. sort of hippie funky jazz with vox.
    Hippy jazz funk is a good description. I really like it - sorry dave, but I will grip and not flip this baby.