FUNKY L.A. COMP

ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Just copped this last week from dusty groove. never heard of 90% of these tracks -- stuff is pure heat. anybody got this?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    Looks good. I'll order it tomorrow. Who put it together? Is it a legit comp from masters? The only familiar track to me is the nursery rhyme one done by the late sax player from War, Charles Miller.

• I just saw this yesterday, was kind curious of it. What years and styles?

• ArtichokeArtichoke 112 Posts
    styles are kind of all over the place from raw funk to sweet soul.. juno uk has some soundclips here

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    It's kinda random and I don't believe it comes with any real liner notes or has been researched. Anyone know if it's legit?

I heard the soundclips awhile back but was kinda unimpressed, especially for a comp that calls itself "Funky L.A.". I mean, there's just a lot of higher quality stuff to draw from.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Maybe the clearance money spent explains the cover art.

• Doesn't this include somethingby the Caprells, who I'm pretty sure were from Philly? Was this researched by the same people who put the Vibrettes in New Orleans??

• Doesn't this include somethingby the Caprells, who I'm pretty sure were from Philly? Was this researched by the same people who put the Vibrettes in New Orleans??

Minor correction. It looks like the Caprells were from Pittsburgh, PA and recorded in Philly. Still not LA, funky or otherwise...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    only familiar track to me is the nursery rhyme one done by the late sax player from War, Charles Miller.

This track is goo but neither soulful or funky. It's kind of free sounding with a Last Poets style spoken word thing going on.

Can anyone provide a tracklist?

EDIT: I should of checked the link

1. Wardell Howard - Down On My Luck Howard - "Down On My Luck"
    2. Charles Miller - Black Nursey
    3. Marie Adams - Get Up & Do It
    4. Bill Spencer - The Jacksons (Part 1)
    5. Bill Spencer - The Jacksons (Part 2)
    Side 2
    1. Blockbusters - Moody
    2. Soul Primers - Can't Resist (Part 1)
    3. Soul Primers - Can't Resist (Part 2)
    4. Caprells - Close Your Eyes
    5. Baraka - Sower Of Seeds

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts

WORST HALF-ASSED COMPILATION EVER MADE

• WORST HALF-ASSED COMPILATION EVER MADE

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Yep....the Soul Primers is nice, but that's about it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Considering the number of half-assed comps out there, this must be unfathomably bad.