MAC HELP!!! G5 vs. MACPRO (r)

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Hey dudes, I sold my old studio computer fully intending to buy an 8 core only to realize that they only ship with leopard and Protools doesn't work on leopard!@!!W@#@$@#!RdFWEJFHWUBEHFV" BSDFGJUBSDFGUJBESFUBWE"Muther funker.SO - i ahve to buy an old machine on ebay. should i buy a 2.5 quad G5or a 2.66 quad MacPro,both of which would be running tiger.HELP!

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I haven't tried out Pro Tools on my new Mac but:
    http://digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=48&itemid=29551&langid=100&action=news_details

I've heard you can "clone" a drive to get the new Macs running Tiger if you really want to. An 8 core Macpro is going to shit all over those other two so it would be a shame that you couldn't get one.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Intel. I've seen a quad G5 with and HD1 system get real strained playing back a 12-track project, 24-bit 96k, running about six plugins (compressors and EQs, not instruments).

They are theoretically equal chips that are designed for different applications, and the intel chips work way better for how most personal (i.e. non server) software is coded.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you can always just buy a new machine and install tiger on it. Obviously it doesn't come w/ Tiger, but getting that should be relatively easy.

• you can always just buy a new machine and install tiger on it. Obviously it doesn't come w/ Tiger, but getting that should be relatively easy.

According to everyone i have talked to at Apple, the new intel machines are no longer tiger compatible, and stopped being so three months ago.

Seriously Wtf Apple and Digidesign!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you can always just buy a new machine and install tiger on it. Obviously it doesn't come w/ Tiger, but getting that should be relatively easy.

According to everyone i have talked to at Apple, the new intel machines are no longer tiger compatible, and stopped being so three months ago.

Seriously Wtf Apple and Digidesign!!!
    http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/179252-mac-pro-8-core-tiger.html

• this is confusing bullshit. I hat digidesign and not to say that it may take years for all my legal third party plug ins to gain support, which is why I am looking at older machines running tiger.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    this is confusing bullshit. I hat digidesign and not to say that it may take years for all my legal third party plug ins to gain support, which is why I am looking at older machines running tiger.
    Refurbished Quad on the Apple store might be the move then.

Edit: Fuck, nevermind I'm dumb. Those shits ship with Leopard too. I can see how this is frustrating

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    so from what I can see, you just need a mac pro intel tiger disc.

The reason they say it won't work w/ an imac tiger disc is because Apple ships install discs that are specific to the model line. That way, when someone buys a new imac, they can't lend their new install discs to their friend w/ a macbook that wants to upgrade their os.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Maybe I'm confused here.......

I use pro-tools on my mac with intel at least twice a week with no problems and YES Leopard 10.5.2 is in effect.

Then again my setup is basic M-box and I don't use many plug-ins but the ones I have used seem to work just fine.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's the plugins, and various illegal cracks for plugins, that have people worried when upgrading.

I have a friend that is still on 10.3 because of his fear of losing his illegal plugins.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    I just went through this same ordeal - spent weeks looking for a top of the line used mac running tiger, with no luck - i then talked to an enginner buddy of mine who told me that protools works no problem on leopard - he said it would actually be better for me to go lep. now than buy a tiger-based mac and attempt to upgrade to lep. later. Apparently most if not all of my plug-ins should run just fine as well - from waves shit to virtual instruments. Haven't set it up just yet but im expecting it to all go down sans complications.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    so from what I can see, you just need a mac pro intel tiger disc.

The reason they say it won't work w/ an imac tiger disc is because Apple ships install discs that are specific to the model line. That way, when someone buys a new imac, they can't lend their new install discs to their friend w/ a macbook that wants to upgrade their os.

You would want to use Disk Utility when booted from the Mac Pro Tiger install disc, and use the Restore function to copy a clean system installed on a Tiger Mac Pro HD to the HD of a Leopard Mac Pro. You would probably also want to copy the new graphics card drivers off the Leopard Mac Pro HD before you write over it with the Tiger system, and add them back in later. Could be a little tricky... the new Mac Pros are smoking fast though, I just sold one to a video dude with 6GBs RAM - and he was hooking it up to a 8TB RAID

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Maybe I'm confused here.......

I use pro-tools on my mac with intel at least twice a week with no problems and YES Leopard 10.5.2 is in effect.

Then again my setup is basic M-box and I don't use many plug-ins but the ones I have used seem to work just fine.
    Pro Tools LE is working for some but not supported under Leopard. Digidesign hasn't released an update for Leopard.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    Haven't set it up just yet but im expecting it to all go down sans complications.

Famous last words!
    I hope you don't have complications, but with Digi don't be surprised!
    I run Leopard at home on my G5, but still run Tiger on my microwave 12" PowerBook, my old G4 tower, my wife's old iMac G4 and my 15" PowerBook at work! Damn come to think of it I am outdated!

• I just went through this same ordeal - spent weeks looking for a top of the line used mac running tiger, with no luck - i then talked to an enginner buddy of mine who told me that protools works no problem on leopard - he said it would actually be better for me to go lep. now than buy a tiger-based mac and attempt to upgrade to lep. later. Apparently most if not all of my plug-ins should run just fine as well - from waves shit to virtual instruments. Haven't set it up just yet but im expecting it to all go down sans complications.

I know for a fact that:

a) Rewire does not work
    b) Virtual instruments will not work (rewire app related)
    c) Import audio not working

You will get Kernel errors when going through the paces at the worst times

Many plugs will glitch

All of this has been confirmed on the phone to me by a Digi tech supportist.

Most importantly, he has told me that there will not be compatibility until there
    is a protools update AND a leopard update, and in his words:
    Could take a month, could take a year, we just don't have a schedule or official word,
    to which I replied, oh, ok, we'll go kill yourself asshole.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Aaaaagh. I guess this is what you get for fuckin with software.

Luckily my engineer homey said he has a copy of tiger i can install just in case.