THIS DOUCHE: YELPER DISSES GROOVE MERCHANT RECORDS

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Fuck this cornball
Straight up, overpriced. I guess this store is great if you want to pretend you are into collecting records and don't want to dig or are a trust fund kid and can afford to overpay on every record you buy. I suppose if that is your jam, you've come to the right spot. Now, I'm sure the people here know their shit and the owner seems friendly enough. But really, anything that isn't unbelievably rare seems a good 5 to 15 dollars more expensive than what you'd find at Amoeba or most anywhere else. I suppose you are paying so you don't have to go through mounds and mounds of records but that's half the fun of it!With all that said, I can understand the purpose of this store, especially for DJs who don't have to worry how much they put down on a record but need a certain something something for the turntables that night.Outside of that, I don't know. They do tend to leave records out on the street after closing. Usually that's where the real scores are at.
SWEATS THE CONDITION OF LEO SAYER

Comments

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    New record store in Oakland?

http://www.yelp.com/biz/1-2-3-4-go-records-oakland#hrid:btdGt8Y_kp7qwuRNUrz5Ng

This guy needs to understand that records stores have to charge a lot to stay in business.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    They do tend to leave records out on the street after closing. Usually that's where the real scores are at.

Dude, why you even getting heated? This guy is clearly on some Micro Lil Dude status. Not even worth the sweat off your balls.

"Don't bother looking for the latest crunk or hyphy hits here, unless E-40 and Mistah F.A.B. have started sporting leather jackets and mohawks. Within this spacious 10x12 compound you will find a haven for punk and independent rock records."

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    LOL. who the hell takes time to write 111 yelp reviews.

OC represent.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

OC represent.
    i was just going to post this and got distracted at work to find that you posted it already

unless E-40 and Mistah F.A.B. have started sporting leather jackets and mohawks."

disconnected!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Ahh to be young, broke, & full of disdain.

• They do tend to leave records out on the street after closing. Usually that's where the real scores are at.

Dude, why you even getting heated? This guy is clearly on some Micro Lil Dude status. Not even worth the sweat off your balls.

WELL ALLOW ME TO RETORT:

The sweat off of my balls is extremely valueable. I put into those thick Japanese LP bags and sell it on ebay for mad Euros to Magnus and 'em. The Bush adminstration has even threatened to invade me.

yahms?

where's my CD btw?

• OC represent.

Now you sound disconnected from the mohawks.

His quote is "OC life is not the life for me," a line from a D.I. song ("OC Life") from 1985. (Yes, I just checked the vinyl-- ).

But that does nothing to relinquish his infinitesimally tiny dude status.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

The sweat off of my balls is extremely valueable. I put into those thick Japanese LP bags and sell it on ebay for mad Euros to Magnus and 'em.

Guzzo, is that you?

OC represent.

Now you sound disconnected from the mohawks.

His quote is "OC life is not the life for me,"

This is true!

He has moved to San Francisco!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not to slow the hatefest, and I do think it was a fairly
    lame review, but he did point out that a) the owner & staff
    are knowledgeable and cool and b) the store has great stock
    and is a good resource for DJ's and those willing to pay extra
    for quality without digging through crappy records to find it ...
    so I wouldn't really say he was HATING on GM, he just "sounds poor."

And, although I've never been to GM and have no personal opinion
    on the matter, it's not like dudes on here have never called GM
    "over priced" before ... usually the same types of dudes as this
    writer, cats who believe in digging for gold and won't pay more than
    $20 for any record ever. Love 'em or hate 'em, they do exist.

[/devil's advocate]

• dayday 9,611 Posts

OCD[/b] represent.

Thi s gu y's who le sty le is chum p.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Never saw the yelp chapter in the big book of web networking until right now and am taking it all in.

I would love to see the first web celebrity to live in a box to tell you where to eat and shop on your mobile phone or gps navigator. Like a combination of the Zagats and oscar the grouch, because I don't eat like that salad fork crowd.

I can't wait until everythings settled by your web rating. You can kick my ass now, but you can't stop my scathing pen warmed in hell on the web later. Think about it tough guy.

And on a more serious note, that place sucks. I can't imagine a world more horrifying for a business owner than one where anybody who came to your storefront gave you feedback like ebay and didn't even have to be a customer.

Never saw the yelp chapter in the big book of web networking until right now and am taking it all in.

I would love to see the first web celebrity to live in a box to tell you where to eat and shop on your mobile phone or gps navigator. Like a combination of the Zagats and oscar the grouch, because I don't eat like that salad fork crowd.

I can't wait until everythings settled by your web rating. You can kick my ass now, but you can't stop my scathing pen warmed in hell on the web later. Think about it tough guy.

And on a more serious note, that place sucks. I can't imagine a world more horrifying for a business owner than one where anybody who came to your storefront gave you feedback like ebay and didn't even have to be a customer.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion (even a dumb ass one). If Soul Strut has demonstrated nothing else, it's the ambivalent benefits of having forums to share said opinions in, whether it's here, Yelp or whatever.

I'm not remotely mad at Yelp - shoot the messenger, not the horse.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    My sarcasm isn't meant to demean the concept of the site, I'm enjoying it as a regular joe and I think its quaint and has potential for hilarity and intrigue.

I just hear enough anxiety over ebay feedback that I wish something like this didn't exist for some, but maybe this is like a 13th step at getting over it all.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The sweat off of my balls is extremely valueable. I put into those thick Japanese LP bags and sell it on ebay for mad Euros to Magnus and 'em.

Guzzo, is that you?

I'm not even sure what you mean by this

I do have spare japanese sleeves if you need some though.

Hollar at me

-Your Royal Wetness

• LOL. who the hell takes time to write 111 yelp reviews.

OCD[/b] represent.

Thi s gu y's who le sty le is chum p.

while i'll def agree with all that this dude sounds a bit out of the loop, i find it ironic that heavy users of a site like SS would make fun of heavy users of a site like Yelp. in my eyes, it's the same shit. they have forums and converse with each other, and they have desire to write about their dining / retail / etc experiences like you might a record.

full disclosure tho: people who use yelp become elite members, which entitles them entry into special events with free food / booze at different bars / lounges around whatever city they're in. in seattle, i've djed a handful of them and they're usually pretty fun. people are down to dance it funky shit regardless of whether they recognize it (free booze obviously helps). no obnoxious requests either.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    no obnoxious requests either.

No, they just go home and talk shit about you on the internet instead

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    i find it ironic that heavy users of a site like SS would make fun of heavy users of a site like Yelp. in my eyes, it's the same shit. they have forums and converse with each other, and they have desire to write about their dining / retail / etc experiences like you might a record.

Don't get it twisted - I'm making fun of the dude, not the site (which I don't know anything about other than it looks like MySpace 9.0).

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

i'd rather pay that extra paper for them to stay alive than not doing so and watch them closing down.

its a tough business afterall right? and although i've never been to GM, Ive heard so much good words about them and I'm glad they're still standing strong out there.

• I bet all the sleeveless copies of those Brooklyn Funk Essentials 12"s are really paying off for dude now...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i find it ironic that heavy users of a site like SS would make fun of heavy users of a site like Yelp. in my eyes, it's the same shit. they have forums and converse with each other, and they have desire to write about their dining / retail / etc experiences like you might a record.

Don't get it twisted - We never talk about records

• i find it ironic that heavy users of a site like SS would make fun of heavy users of a site like Yelp. in my eyes, it's the same shit. they have forums and converse with each other, and they have desire to write about their dining / retail / etc experiences like you might a record.

Don't get it twisted - I'm making fun of the dude, not the site (which I don't know anything about other than it looks like MySpace 9.0).

very true, good distinction

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    They do tend to leave records out on the street after closing. Usually that's where the real scores are at.

Dude, why you even getting heated?

This part is comedic deadstock gold.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

More from charlie69 at Myxer

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Guzzo, is that you?

Hollar at me

-Your Royal Wetness

Have you already forgotten about your condom-in-a-record-sleeve? Inspiration for dick-in-a-box?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Guzzo, is that you?

Hollar at me

-Your Royal Wetness

Didn't you once send somebody a used condom with their record?

I could be mistaken, so plaese to correct me if need be.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I will gladly pay another $10 so i don't have to dig through piles of stuff all day. That's fun when your young, single, high and unemployed with nothing else to do.

Me....I'm old, engaged, moderatly sober, and I have a really good job that pays me well so Ican afford what I want.

Plus I got "digger's knee". They need to come up with a medical diagnosis for this. All those years of kneeling down to dig through floor cratesgot me hurtin'.