San Remo albums

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
How many of these are there?I see a ton of the San Remo String albums and some stores put wall piece prizes on them.after hearing eleventenhundred of them I fond one with a few good tracks (titled simply, San Remo 1973 on the PI label)whats the story on 'em?

Comments

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    How many of these are there?
    I see a ton of the San Remo String albums and some stores put wall piece prizes on them.
    after hearing eleventenhundred of them I fond one with a few good tracks (titled simply, San Remo 1973 on the PI label)
    whats the story on 'em?

Though you might be speaking about something else, I've got a some San Remo albums (73, 74, 75, I think) - though they are on RCA. They are compilations of artists performing at the San Remo festival. The San Remo '73 I have has Nicola di Bari, Gianni Morandi, etc, backed by some Cine Citta orchestras, and maybe some Marc 7 folks? Are those what you're talking about?

• How many of these are there?
    I see a ton of the San Remo String albums and some stores put wall piece prizes on them.
    after hearing eleventenhundred of them I fond one with a few good tracks (titled simply, San Remo 1973 on the PI label)
    whats the story on 'em?

Though you might be speaking about something else, I've got a some San Remo albums (73, 74, 75, I think) - though they are on RCA. They are compilations of artists performing at the San Remo festival. The San Remo '73 I have has Nicola di Bari, Gianni Morandi, etc, backed by some Cine Citta orchestras, and maybe some Marc 7 folks? Are those what you're talking about?

I was wondering the same thing. I don't think there's more than one San Remo Golden Strings LP.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Ah, "San Remo" name confusion related.
    San Remo Golden Strings = northern lp, + some 45's, while San Remo Insert year here> are tepid Italian pop comps, with scattered decent string arrangements, numbering in the eleventyhundreds.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    the 'San Remo Golden Strings' are a Detroit cash-in on the San Remo festival / albums

the Italian San Remo albums seem collected by cheesecake cover guys - as they all have bikini covers

---

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

whats the story on 'em?

Weren't the San Remo Strings records largely instrumental versions of Motown/Detroit tunes? Their big hit over here, "Festival Time" was just the instrumental to Laura Lee's "To Win Your Heart". I didn't realise they were also known as the San Remo Golden Strings, though.

whats the story on 'em?

Weren't the San Remo Strings records largely instrumental versions of Motown/Detroit tunes? Their big hit over here, "Festival Time" was just the instrumental to Laura Lee's "To Win Your Heart". I didn't realise they were also known as the San Remo Golden Strings, though.

See here...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

whats the story on 'em?

Oh, OK - I never knew the Laura Lee vocal came later. Thanks for this.

whats the story on 'em?

Oh, OK - I never knew the Laura Lee vocal came later. Thanks for this.

I don't know how anyone keeps any of that stuff straight. I'm constantly turning up Detroit 45s that sound strangely familiar, which ends up being because the track was used/recycled (either before or later) with/without a vocal. There are TONS of examples.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like the San Remo Golden Strings records, but have no idea about those other San Remo LPs mentioned above. I play that "All Turned On" 45 at gigs from time to time, great track.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

whats the story on 'em?

That song, along with "Hungry For Love", were on the Motown Instrumentals LP. Great record.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    whats the story on 'em?

It may be the same series of LP's although none of the names match up and this is on the PI label, but this is where the confusion continues on.

This one had one side of all instrumental schmaltzy sounding library-esque tracks and a vocal side with totally different songs. here is one of them by a guy named Adriano Celentano

I wasn't aware of the San Remo Detroit thing, popsike had a ton of San Remo stuff up which confused me even more

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I don't think there's more than one San Remo Golden Strings LP.

There were two SRGS albums on Gordy, Hungry For Love and Swing.

• I don't think there's more than one San Remo Golden Strings LP.

There were two SRGS albums on Gordy, Hungry For Love and Swing.

I stand corrected.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Hungry For Love

the Gordy lp is the 2nd press - it came out on Ric Tic first w/ a different cover

Ed Wingate sold his labels to Berry Gordy & it was reissued on Gordy

---

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    so no one on this board full of record knowledge can help decipher the mystery of the San remos?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    so no one on this board full of record knowledge can help decipher the mystery of the San remos?

it be's that way sometimes

• so no one on this board full of record knowledge can help decipher the mystery of the San remos?

What's still mysterious? The San Remo Golden Strings were a Detroit soul/instro act on Ric-Tic and Gordy. It sounds like some of what you're seeing is stuff related to the long running San Remo song festival in Italy.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    How many LPs there is on Ric Tic?

Thanks,
    Chad

• How many LPs there is on Ric Tic?

Thanks,
    Chad

Here are the Ric-Tic 45s

104 - San Remo Golden Strings / Bob Wilson And The San Remo Quartet - Hungry For Love /All Turned On - 1965
    108 - San Remo Golden Strings - I'm Satisfied / Blueberry Hill - 1966
    112 - San Remo Golden Strings - Festival Time / Joy Road - 1966
    116 - San Remo Golden Strings - International Love Theme / Quanto Sei Bella - 1966

One LP on Ric-Tic 'Hungry for Love'

Two LPs on Gordy 'Hungry For Love' (reissued) 'Swing'

To confuse matters further it looks like there were LPs by the 'San Remo Orchestra' from the song festival

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    How many LPs there is on Ric Tic?

Thanks,
    Chad

Here are the Ric-Tic 45s

104 - San Remo Golden Strings / Bob Wilson And The San Remo Quartet - Hungry For Love /All Turned On - 1965
    108 - San Remo Golden Strings - I'm Satisfied / Blueberry Hill - 1966
    112 - San Remo Golden Strings - Festival Time / Joy Road - 1966
    116 - San Remo Golden Strings - International Love Theme / Quanto Sei Bella - 1966

One LP on Ric-Tic 'Hungry for Love'

Two LPs on Gordy 'Hungry For Love' (reissued) 'Swing'

To confuse matters further it looks like there were LPs by the 'San Remo Orchestra' from the song festival

yes, and there are also albums simply called "San Remo" as opposed to "San Remo festival" and even more flippity floppity is the albums under the name "Sanremo"

Fuck it, I just want to know which ones are good so I don't end up with crappy remo shite

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    1 of those san remo festival records has a break, if anybody cares.