Going to Mexico (currency-related)

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I don't expect to find any records in Merida, Yucatan, but I am curious about what's the move regarding changing dollars to pesos. Does anyone have any tips about where/when/how is the best to do it? I imagine I'll need a few to get to our hotel and stuff, but I figured waiting till we get down there to change most of it is best. Plaese to educate if you can.

Comments

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts
    Someone here caught Rabbits & Carrots in Merida, I believe.

You should be able to catch an ATM at the Airport upon arrival; generally the most "fair" exchange rate of the day.

• Yep, ATM is the way to go.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

pardon my little dudeness, but is that a raer? so there are spots in Merida? Shit, let me know what's good then? We can make this record-related real quick!

You should be able to catch an ATM at the Airport upon arrival; generally the most "fair" exchange rate of the day.

Yeah, that sounds like the thing to do. We did that all throughout Europe, but I didn't know if there was a better technique for Mexico. Thanks.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Almost everywhere in the yucutan accepts dollars too, cancun it is pretty much standard to charge in dollas.

Make sure you stuff some big bills in various spots ause: in case of emergency and for the last day when you are out of pesos.

But absolutely ATM is the way to go, no doubt. Check with your credit card company to make sure they aren't going to gouge you, I have heard of one nightmare story along those lines.

Buen Viaje!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Usually little grocery stores will gladly swap your dollars for pesos.

Someone else on this board found the Rabbits and Carrots in Chicago.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

For 10 pesos! And I'm still not done bragging.

And dude there're multiple spots in Merida which are all in walking distance of the downtown square. Ask around. One, a junk/used book shop, is right on the square and they only let me go through 1 stack of records before kicking me out at siesta time. There is another just slightly off the square which also only let me look at a few records when they had a whole lot more I could see in back - that lady was crazy though. But I found R&C at this used furniture shop which is on a sidestreet near the big(est) supermercado in town.

• ToccuDomuToccuDomu 225 Posts

pardon my little dudeness, but is that a raer? so there are spots in Merida? Shit, let me know what's good then? We can make this record-related real quick!

Rabbits & Carrots is a good record, though little-dudeness-revealed, I have the Vampisoul reish from a year or two ago. I'll let the hyperbolizer at Dusty Groove sum it up for you:

"One of the funkiest Mexican groups at the end of the 60s -- a hard-hitting combo who could almost go head to head with any American ensemble of the funky 45 generation!"

I returned from the Yucatan (having visited Merida briefly) right around the same time that you posted that, and laughed at myself for not trying harder to look for records. But that was a trip with my girl, who doesn???t enjoy digging for records, so we spent more time on eating, drinking, hiking, sunning and vacation related things. So it goes.

Verb; use your Spanish skills (which I sincerely hope are better than mine) to ask around at the markets, or wherever you might speak with the local folks for records, and see what you can come up with. But more importantly, enjoy your trip.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

And dude there're multiple spots in Merida which are all in walking distance of the downtown square. Ask around. One, a junk/used book shop, is right on the square and they only let me go through 1 stack of records before kicking me out at siesta time. There is another just slightly off the square which also only let me look at a few records when they had a whole lot more I could see in back - that lady was crazy though. But I found R&C at this used furniture shop which is on a sidestreet near the big(est) supermercado in town.

That's cool. My wife likes to look around in junk/antique/stuff, so maybe I can holler at some wax.

Not too much, though. I need to save money for food. me and wifey are trying to get our eat on in a major way.

Good lookin out on the info.