~Last Piece of Mega-Heat You Found in the Field?~

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Tell some stories. It's been a long time for me and I feel like there have not been any big come-ups like there used to be.Raj-Stark realityBreakSelf-Bill BixbyWhat else?

Comments

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    yes, please tell. that's kinda why i got on this board too, was to hear "cool" stories about finds that would somehow lift up my day here in the office.

i haven't had a mega-heat find in a long time. i've had more luck with rap in the last couple months...

Geto Boys - S/T
    APG - On the Rise (that one made my month)

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    It's been a long time for me and I feel like there have not been any big come-ups like there used to be.

lol

Penthouse Record Forum

---

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    hahahahahahahaha

[heavy breathing] yessss...tell me more [heavy breathing] how dirty did your hands get? [heavy breathing] ohhhhhhhhhhhh man...

• I could tell you what comes to mind, but then I'd have to promptly kill you.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    lol

Penthouse Record Forum

---

It seemed like an ordinary day at first. I stopped by the flea market on my way to not buy deoderant and began flipping through a box of records. Another grippeur was flipping through the box next to me???a hirsute gentleman who smelled faintly of urine???and I was about to call it a day when I thought I caught a glimpse of a perfectly proportioned raer out of the corner of my eye. My palms began to sweat....

"Mint unplayed in shrink, let your needle be the first to touch this virgin vinyl"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    lol

Penthouse Record Forum

---

It seemed like an ordinary day at first. I stopped by the flea market on my way to not buy deoderant and began flipping through a box of records. Another grippeur was flipping through the box next to me???a hirsute gentleman who smelled faintly of urine???and I was about to call it a day when I thought I caught a glimpse of a perfectly proportioned raer out of the corner of my eye. My palms began to sweat....

THE RETURN OF EROTIC DIGGING FICTION!

I found the Soul Expedition album at Salvation Army for 33 cents

---

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    "Mint unplayed in shrink, let your needle be the first to touch this virgin vinyl"

Yeah, I like them young, too.

also...

I stopped by the flea market on my way to not buy deoderant

this made me laugh out loud.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    lol

Penthouse Record Forum

---

THE RETURN OF EROTIC DIGGING FICTION!

Ha! I was thinking the same thing!

"I walked into the low-lit basement and was immediately hit with the smell of old records and cigarretts. I could hear the faint sounds of jazz coming from upstairs. After going through two crates I began salivating with expectation..."

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Found this $750-1000 psych gem in a little old ladies house two weekends ago -

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I'd rather find something I didn't know than find a known rares. So here were thrift finds that blew me away and are very obscure (with the Archer being likely Unknown).

Good Will (this one is an unknown)

Weird Thrift in Ontario (this one is very obscure Hard Rock)

Texas soul that soulstrut could not provide much information on other than to argue the differences between tent soul, blue eyed soul, and regular soul... Nobody mentioning the funky b-side (perhaps it was bad?)... from the same thrift as Brothers and One

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I haven't really found anything that heaterific since last summer at the fleas, where I came upon a few raer Boston rap 12"s. I don't know a damn thing about them. The only reason I picked this one is that a noted rap collectro contacted me because it was a long-time want of his:

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Nothing mega raer, but I'm glad I found and bought this one for very cheap.

• It's been a long time for me and I feel like there have not been any big come-ups like there used to be.

lol

Penthouse Record Forum

---

not related (well kinda) but i need an NZshadow "diary of a pr0n store clerk" update, shit is hilarious

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    MEGA-HEAT

I WILL BUY THAT CRINK.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I WILL BUY THAT CRINK.

...and here I was gonna just give it to ya free.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    most of the rare heaters I have acquired in the last year have come from collections bought for the shop where I work, so those dont count I suppose...

but I was pleased as punch to dig this up at a local spot a few months ago...a rare one for the label...some killer early soul from Wendy Rene and Family:

I WILL BUY THAT CRINK.
    ...and here I was gonna just give it to ya free.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    i forget if these were 2 years ago or more. or less?

tina brooks (blue note)

jr + soulettes (non warped vg- copy)

gary wilson

all came out of old headz accumulations/collections packed into storage spaces. no crazy stories, just "ooh. uh, whatta ya want for this one?" and getting good answers that led to purchase.

• Hopeton Lewis - "Sounds and pressure" Blue Beat 7" NM

Austin Faithful - "Uncle Joe" b/w the stellar "I am losing you" Blue Cat 7" VG+

• I guess the last really rare record I found in the field would be the french popcorn lp. I found the german press which is still quite rare.

Im not sure I like the music that much though.

Peace,

Dress

P.S. I forgot to add that its almost a year ago... Maybe Nate is right. The rare is drying up quick now.

• Last Spring I pulled a minty Gangstarr "Flip the Script" 12" Promo for $1 from one of my favorite street vendors in NYC. There were two copies there, but didn't realize it was mega-raer and only grabbed only one of them! Felt totally stupid, so went back the next day to snag the other copy. My heart fell to my feet when I saw the record was gone -- but in it's place a new stack of records had appeared, which included:

...and with it some other great, but not so rare records (Eddie Fisher and the Next 100 Years, Akido, Cymande S/T, and number of other joints on the RA label).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    IMG src=http://www.lysergia.com/AcidArchives/GrandmasRockers.jpg>

for 50 cents, which i then sold for $638

although i wouldnt call it mega-heat. just raer.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I've found 4 copies of the Board Of Directors 12" in the last 9 months, 3 were $3 each & the most recent was $4. I don't even like that record, but others clearly do.
    Anyways, as far as actual good stuff goes, I still can't get over finding The Sinceres 45 on Pzazz for a couple of dollars last year. The Natures Time 45 for $3 was pretty cool too & finding both Little Bucks on Seven B for $4 each on the same morning was cool too. Not "mega heat" I guess, but pretty good goings for my location I feel. I know there's some others I'm forgetting too.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    hubert laws family 12 inch goes for some money so I found a few copies about a year ago. Sold them all, then a few months ago I was arguing with someone on here about that same record. I was getting my car worked on one sunday so I walked across the street to this old run down flea market and sure enough for $2 get come up another copy. Aleit told me this 12 inch is hard to find outside of a DJ pool but it keeps popping up in and around old flea markets and yard sales.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I really like when you are talking/thinking about a record for some reason & then find it in the field soon afterwards, it's happened to me a couple times & is a cool feeling.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Last Spring I pulled a minty Gangstarr "Flip the Script" 12" Promo for $1 from one of my favorite street vendors in NYC. There were two copies there, but didn't realize it was mega-raer and only grabbed only one of them! Felt totally stupid, so went back the next day to snag the other copy.

Yo - I'm pretty sure my man picked up the other one from the same street vendor you're talking about.