Was there ever an HOB 70s Gospel comp released?

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Because someone really should get behind this. Spartan, Soul, and other early Carmen Murphy-related labels might be fine as well (from what little I've heard), but I really ride for the latter-day Scepter distributed singles. They're are incredibly easy to find, so I'm sure collectro snobs would be put off, but there are at least 35-40+ solid (I mean really solid) songs on this label. 2 CDs or two volumes, easily. I own close to 20 of these, after sorting through all the Shirley Caesar stuff. There are probably a few I've overlooked, considering their expansive discography. God bless Ms. Murphy, even if she wasn't involved much with with the label when things like this were rolling around: Licensing might be a one-stop shop, too. Right now, as the Chicago Funk song goes, I've got too many irons in the fire. But I'd love to support this.

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

Wait, is this easy to find? This 45 is my wife's #1 holy grail (no pun intended), if anyone has doubles I would trade treasure or blood. Been looking for a minute, but perhaps not the right places.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Because someone really should get behind this. Spartan, Soul, and other early Carmen Murphy-related labels might be fine as well (from what little I've heard), but I really ride for the latter-day Scepter distributed singles. They're are incredibly easy to find, so I'm sure collectro snobs would be put off, but there are at least 35-40+ solid (I mean really solid) songs on this label. 2 CDs or two volumes, easily. I own close to 20 of these, after sorting through all the Shirley Caesar stuff. There are probably a few I've overlooked, considering their expansive discography.

God bless Ms. Murphy, even if she wasn't involved much with with the label when things like this were rolling around:

Licensing might be a one-stop shop, too. Right now, as the Chicago Funk song goes, I've got too many irons in the fire. But I'd love to support this.

Man, Luck, you're rippin' a page right out of my childhood. It was HOB gospel on the regular up in my crib, given my Christian upbringing (my pop is a church pastor and I was the proverbial wild preacher's kid). That label had great music and is a source of fond childhood memories.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Man, Luck, you're rippin' a page right out of my childhood. It was HOB gospel on the regular up in my crib, given my Christian upbringing. That label had great music and is a source of fond childhood memories.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Dang, my Christian upbringing only yielded me the Bullfrogs and Butterflies LP (please don't seek this out, it really sucks).

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts

Man, Luck, you're rippin' a page right out of my childhood. It was HOB gospel on the regular up in my crib, given my Christian upbringing. That label had great music and is a source of fond childhood memories.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Dang, my Christian upbringing only yielded me the Bullfrogs and Butterflies LP (please don't seek this out, it really sucks).

Hey Dolla,

Where did you think my gospel record k-nowledge came from? It came from pop-duke's record player and my later wholesale "housin'" of his LPs over the years. Got love a pops who introduces you to Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Julius Cheeks, The Harmonizing Four, and Claude Jeter 45s and LPs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Wait, is this easy to find? This 45 is my wife's #1 holy grail (no pun intended), if anyone has doubles I would trade treasure or blood. Been looking for a minute, but perhaps not the right places.

Try searching for the flip "He's Sweet I Know" if the obverse doesn't take. Frankly, all the Scepter-produced singles are easy enough to find, especially compared with the 250- to 500-run gospel impossibles out there. I got my copy for 2 or 3 bucks BIN in stellar condition. Be patient, and you'll find it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Tell me about it. Dips on the Psalty jawns.

Also: My girl tells me that B&B was translated into Japanese for a local church service she attended in her youth. And you thought that China was the world's leading exporter of bullshit.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hey Dolla,

Where did you think my gospel record k-nowledge came from? It came from pop-duke's record player and my later wholesale "housin'" of his LPs over the years. Got love a pops who introduces you to Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Julius Cheeks, The Harmonizing Four, and Claude Jeter 45s and LPs.

Wish I could say the same about my father, the Reverend. The Silvertones (even this late in the game - some HOB/Scepter sides were post-Jeter), Messiahs Of Glory, Southland Singers, Helen Hollins Singers, Trumpets Of Zion, Prayer Wheels, are all $1-5 keepers. There are a bunch of weak tracks on this label, sure, but there are some solid sides here that are great examples of the genre. Folks need to be exposed to this, basic as it is.

Try searching for the flip "He's Sweet I Know" if the obverse doesn't take. Frankly, all the Scepter-produced singles are easy enough to find, especially compared with the 250- to 500-run gospel impossibles out there. I got my copy for 2 or 3 bucks BIN in stellar condition. Be patient, and you'll find it.

Thanks for the ! I think she'll be thrilled when I grab a copy.

Hey Dolla,

Wish I could say the same. The Silvertones (even this late in the game - some HOB/Scepter sides were post-Jeter), Messiahs Of Glory, Southland Singers, Helen Hollins Singers, Trumpets Of Zion, Prayer Wheels, are all $1-5 keepers. There are a bunch of weak tracks on this label, sure, but there are some solid sides here that are great examples of the genre. Folks need to be exposed to this, basic as it is.

Soooooo true, Luck!!! That's why I take every opportunity to champion this music when I get a chance. Incidentally, I'm listening to "Mighty High" by The Mighty Clouds of Joy (on YouTube) as I type. They have the even older stuff on there too like the Highway QC's, Five Blind Boys from Alabama, etc.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Oh, sweet Jesus, I'm incredibly behind on gospel. Growing up, my church was very much into a post folk gospel of liberal white folk (like myself) but pretty disconnected with real soul gospel. The first time I heard of Rosetta Tharpe was when I visited the Stax museum about 4 years ago.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    There was a 2LP HOB comp released in 1978 with If You Believe on it as well as a couple of other Silvertones burners. Or rather, it was a Silvertones best of on one disk and a V/A on the second.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    iwsih shingaling would get his Designer/D-Vine Spirituals comp together...the rawest, most soulful gospel on the planet...it would melt faces for sure

here is a cool little cover of the Swan Silvertones

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    iwsih shingaling would get his Designer/D-Vine Spirituals comp together...the rawest, most soulful gospel on the planet...it would melt faces for sure

Designer is an incredible label. Visceral Detroit gospel. Many class outings on there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I think it would be a real challenge making a comp of this label designed to satisfy both the young, hip, genre-crossing record collector and the aging gospel fanatic simultaneously (it'd be just weird to try to ignore the latter).

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Designer is an incredible label. Visceral Memphis[/b] gospel. Many class outings on there.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Shit. You're right. I'd always heard so many Detroit groups on Designer (like The Soul Inspirers) that I just figured that they were a Detroit label. Well, I been 'buked.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I think it would be a real challenge making a comp of this label designed to satisfy both the young, hip, genre-crossing record collector and the aging gospel fanatic simultaneously (it'd be just weird to try to ignore the latter).

Respectfully: I completely disagree, based solely on the music. Seriously. Have you heard some of the groups I mentioned? I'd like to whip up a mini-compilation, but I might want some people to buy this cow before I let others have sex with it for free (as the saying goes).

• Shit. You're right. I'd always heard so many Detroit groups on Designer (like The Soul Inspirers) that I just figured that they were a Detroit label. Well, I been 'buked.

The Soul Superiors Of Detroit on Designer "What Ever You Do, Do Good" is one of the best gospel soul songs I've ever heard. Would love to hear more of the stuff on that label but it never turns up where I live.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Shit. You're right. I'd always heard so many Detroit groups on Designer (like The Soul Inspirers) that I just figured that they were a Detroit label. Well, I been 'buked.

The Soul Superiors Of Detroit on Designer "What Ever You Do, Do Good" is one of the best gospel soul songs I've ever heard. Would love to hear more of the stuff on that label but it never turns up where I live.

Big, diverse label that's not as consistent as you might hope. Not too tough to come by in Detroit (or Memphis, I'd imagine).

heres a favorite Designer of mine, Oneal and the Dean Brothers:

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Caesar's version of "People Get Ready" on HOB from the 70s is arguably the greatest version of that song ever. The beautiful minor chord arrangement and the "I believe" chorus are beyond words. If anyone has mp3 of this, please share it with the soul strut massive.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

that same Soul Superiors of Detroit( which is a different group than the Dynamic Soul Superiors, the Soul Superiors from Arkansas & the Soul Superbs) has an earlier 45 on the Warfell label - great local two-sider - RBM has a copy it looks like...

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    Because someone really should get behind this. Spartan, Soul, and other early Carmen Murphy-related labels might be fine as well (from what little I've heard), but I really ride for the latter-day Scepter distributed singles. They're are incredibly easy to find, so I'm sure collectro snobs would be put off, but there are at least 35-40+ solid (I mean really solid) songs on this label. 2 CDs or two volumes, easily. I own close to 20 of these, after sorting through all the Shirley Caesar stuff. There are probably a few I've overlooked, considering their expansive discography.

I would be down with this comp. I, too, have been impressed with a number of the HOB 45s I have stumbled across.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Respectfully: I completely disagree, based solely on the music. Seriously. Have you heard some of the groups I mentioned? I'd like to whip up a mini-compilation, but I might want some people to buy this cow before I let others have sex with it for free (as the saying goes).

I certainly don't think a gospel fan would dislike a comp of soul-crossover tunes, but the biggest tunes for fans of the genre are often really slow (or, alternately, far too fast to be considered "funky")

I don't think I've heard any of the specific records mentioned though and am probably not very familiar w/this label's overall output...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I certainly don't think a gospel fan would dislike a comp of soul-crossover tunes, but the biggest tunes for fans of the genre are often really slow (or, alternately, far too fast to be considered "funky")

I don't think I've heard any of the specific records mentioned though and am probably not very familiar w/this label's overall output...

I wouldn't mind another funky gospel compilation, but I dislike the fact that Hob's whole legacy is boiled down to the funk and nothing more. That is SO irritating, that whole "but is it FUNKY?" kind of thinking.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

This is hot.

Is that Sendus record the same one you hooked me up with?

• Caesar's version of "People Get Ready" on HOB from the 70s is arguably the greatest version of that song ever. The beautiful minor chord arrangement and the "I believe" chorus are beyond words. If anyone has mp3 of this, please share it with the soul strut massive.

Bonus Beat:

This is hot.

Is that Sendus record the same one you hooked me up with?

yep...didnt you send me a pic of the label with some of god's good greenery on it?