were hippies hipsters?

2»

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I always thought of hipsters as much closer to mods.

American mods..? No that just doesn't compute.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

No, like OG Who fans with Vespas, Carnaby Street suits and a pocket full of pills.

• Dudes, the word hippie was used to describe hipster beatniks. Hippies were originally hipsters.

The word hippie derives from hipster, and was initially used to describe beatniks..

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    no. hipsters are the inevitable offspring of the hippies.

• everyoneisfamous.com

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Dudes, the word hippie was used to describe hipster beatniks. Hippies were originally hipsters.

The word hippie derives from hipster, and was initially used to describe beatniks..

And wasn't hipster originally a complementary term?

Wikipedia even divides it into two categories. 1940's jazz hipster and contemporary hipster. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

No, like OG Who fans with Vespas, Carnaby Street suits and a pocket full of pills.

I understood what you meant. Just couldn't get my head around the idea of an American mod. I'd like to see them beatin' down some Emo's though.

• Damn, you people are hung up on labels and stereotypes.

I haven't ever met a hipster who actually thought he/she was a hipster.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Damn, you people are hung up on labels and stereotypes.

duh. one of the most important aspects of being a hipster is to talk shit about hipsters.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Damn, you people are hung up on labels and stereotypes.

duh. one of the most important aspects of being a hipster is to talk shit about hipsters.

the one generalization i will agree with. the only people i have encountered in real life that have ever talked shit on "hipsters" met all the qualifications, past or present. usually its somebody who was the definition of hipster circa 2000 stuck in their ways who is grumpy about the definition of hipster circa 2008.

"in my day it was old man pants and black chucks!"

either way its all retarded. i'm gonna start a new thread. "were people who wore pants people who wear shirts?"

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Anybody see "KIng of the Hill" last night?
    Great send-up on hipsters! There was one line about wanting to move somewhere where no one works and everyone drives around in convertibles and Hanks says "sounds like Austin,"

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    lol hilarious read as always

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I think Joni Mitchell says it best and it speaks for all generations,
    "You are a refugee from a wealthy family, you gave up all the golden factories to see who in the world you might be."

Theres room for sincerity in her statement, but sure its not always the case.
    The only similarity I see is the common approach to dress. (Not the style but the activity)
    The folks I know who were fashionable hippies harken back to the days when on the 1st day of school they were ready to floss some killer "hippie" boots, belt, jacket or persuasion of clothing which gave them some timeless mystique, which in their day was some moondog/lord of the rings/mystic wanderer type shit they found digging in their uncles/grandparents/aunts/moms/dads closet.

And in the case of our current soul searchers,
    I can only imagine the anticipation is just as high to show off their finds of ironic adornments and hair experiments.

the more you hate the soul searchers

the tighter his grip is upon your own

Until theres a gremlin for maniacal laughter,
    this shall suffice

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

• If your talking about hipsters on a messageboard you probablly are one

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    If your talking about hipsters on a messageboard you probablly are one

Stop. Just stop.

• so you guys are saying this isn't a hipster message board?
    i've no reason to be here anymore.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I always thought a hipster was a jazz cat or a beatnik. Then all of the sudden these emo looking white kids are hipsters. I don't get it. Bad appropriation of the term.