were hippies hipsters?

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
what i mean is, back in the day, if you weren't a self declared hippie, and you weren't right wing either, could u still look at hippies with disgust? i dont know what the point of this thread is, although i'm a south park fan and know cartmen hates hippies enough that in one episode he goes about exterminating them.plus my bosses were probably hippie though today you would never suspect it...so i guess in the future, these frog leg jeans wearing doofuses will be tomorrows disgruntled union workers?

Comments

• ye

things that histers like:

-pabst blue ribbon
    -animal deer hoof collective wolf sufjan parade
    -american apparel
    -art school

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You can't transpose generations like that.

Either way, I'd say "no." Hippies were scorned in part because of their sincerity, whereas hipsters are scorned in part for their lack thereof. And although hippies were often eccentric, I'd dispute the notion that labels and hype (hipster mantels) were motivations for any of it.

• You can't transpose generations like that.

Either way, I'd say "no." Hippies were scorned in part because of their sincerity, whereas hipsters are scorned in part for their lack thereof. And although hippies were often eccentric, I'd dispute the notion that labels and hype (hipster mantels) were motivations for any of it.

i agree but there had to be the ones that went a little too far and were just a bother...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    You can't transpose generations like that.

Hippies weren't scorned cause of thier sincerity. Hippies were scorned cause a large percentage of them (at least in the Uk) were posh cunts who 'dropped out' of a society that thier fathers owned. And thier rebellion was to flounce around, while living off thier 'trust funds', until they decided to grow up, and walk into well paid jobs. Most of what the hippies went in for, meant nothing to your average working class kid, who had neither the time, money, or the inclination to be involved. They generally looked down on hippies, derided thier fashions, tastes, behaviour ect. So NOTHING like hipsters then.

Were hippies hipsters? Who Frickin' cares, really. Were hipsters, hipsters?

• I would rather hang out with a hippie than a hipster...Although hippies smell worse, they are less sarcastic and revolting. Maybe I'm just used to hippies or something. Hipsters just piss me off! The other day I was digging and the last section I wanted to check out had a hipster that was digging really slow, acting like he was somehow more knowledable about everything by reading the linear notes on every Ramsey Lewis and Micheal Legrand record he flipped across! I knew better and just kept staring at his mustache and hipster apparel in utter disguist! I usually don't feel this much hate for hippies.

There really should be a "hipster scum" gramelin.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    self loathing

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Real hippies never stopped being hippies and are unmistakable.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Real hippies never stopped being hippies and are unmistakable.

• I would rather hang out with a hippie than a hipster...Although hippies smell worse, they are less sarcastic and revolting. Maybe I'm just used to hippies or something. Hipsters just piss me off! The other day I was digging and the last section I wanted to check out had a hipster that was digging really slow, acting like he was somehow more knowledable about everything by reading the linear notes on every Ramsey Lewis and Micheal Legrand record he flipped across! I knew better and just kept staring at his mustache and hipster apparel in utter disguist! I usually don't feel this much hate for hippies.

word.......hipsters make me upset

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I would rather hang out with a hippie than a hipster...Although hippies smell worse, they are less sarcastic and revolting. Maybe I'm just used to hippies or something. Hipsters just piss me off! The other day I was digging and the last section I wanted to check out had a hipster that was digging really slow, acting like he was somehow more knowledable about everything by reading the linear notes on every Ramsey Lewis and Micheal Legrand record he flipped across! I knew better and just kept staring at his mustache and hipster apparel in utter disguist! I usually don't feel this much hate for hippies.

Haha dude you really get this aggro in record stores?

I am curious though - how does reading the liner notes of a
    Ramsey Lewis album translate into acting like you are somehow
    more knowledgable about everything?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Hippies weren't scorned cause of thier sincerity. Hippies were scorned cause a large percentage of them (at least in the Uk) were posh cunts who 'dropped out' of a society that thier fathers owned. And thier rebellion was to flounce around, while living off thier 'trust funds', until they decided to grow up, and walk into well paid jobs. Most of what the hippies went in for, meant nothing to your average working class kid, who had neither the time, money, or the inclination to be involved. They generally looked down on hippies, derided thier fashions, tastes, behaviour ect. So NOTHING like hipsters then.

This is just total nonsense. Most hippies were just ordinary middle class people responding to their times. They came of age in an era of total social and political upheaval, when the gov't was lying about a corrupt war and people were dying to get the right to vote. Their response was to reject the system's norms in clothing, lifestyle, thinking and personal expression. Much of it was self-indulgent, stupid and in just plain bad taste. But it was an idealistic movement that deeply altered our thinking about the ourselves and the world. Largely for the better (though Vitamin will argue that they led us into the recession of 1982).

Hipsters come from a totally different place. I'd hesitate to call it anything other than fashion for the most part.

Just to keep it record related. Hippies made much better music.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    If we were to make a kind of generation association, certainly arguable, this would be my proposition

Hipster = Velvet Underground
    Hippies = Grateful Dead

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I would rather hang out with a hippie than a hipster...Although hippies smell worse, they are less sarcastic and revolting. Maybe I'm just used to hippies or something. Hipsters just piss me off! The other day I was digging and the last section I wanted to check out had a hipster that was digging really slow, acting like he was somehow more knowledable about everything by reading the linear notes on every Ramsey Lewis and Micheal Legrand record he flipped across! I knew better and just kept staring at his mustache and hipster apparel in utter disguist! I usually don't feel this much hate for hippies.

shit, dude, you must have it all figured out. pffft. you dare bring Mr. Lewis into your phoney shit-talking.

this thread is kinda sickening. the word hipster alone makes me sick, because of some people trying to use it to distance themselves from the exact thing that embodies their being. some "us vs. them" shit, when you're still unsure which team you play for. you must be as self-conscious as the "hipsters" to give a fuck.

Delay has it right.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts

no competition.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    If we were to make a kind of generation association, certainly arguable, this would be my proposition

Hippies = Grateful Dead

Yea I was kinda thinking the same thing.... so who are the new hippies?

Hip hop blunt smokers?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Hippies = Grateful Dead

Hipsters are WAY too hip for the sold-out, commodified VU. They'll have you know that Armand Schaubroeck was the most influentual artist of his time.

Him, or the collective Hampton Grease Band (seen below).

Hey, bro: Lou Reed started and ended with Metal Machine Music.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Hippies believed in progressive government, spiritual awareness, and a reevaluation of Western values.

Hipsters don't believe in anything but themselves.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Hippies believed in progressive government, spiritual awareness, and a reevaluation of Western values.

There were plenty of narcissistic hippies, dude.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

shit, dude, you must have it all figured out. pffft. you dare bring Mr. Lewis into your phoney shit-talking.

this thread is kinda sickening. the word hipster alone makes me sick, because of some people trying to use it to distance themselves from the exact thing that embodies their being. some "us vs. them" shit, when you're still unsure which team you play for. you must be as self-conscious as the "hipsters" to give a fuck.

Delay has it right.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

There were plenty of narcissistic hippies, dude.

Certainly there were! That doesn't change the fact that there was an ideological base to the hippy movement (whether or not your average hippie was capable of elaborating on it is a different matter).

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Delay has it right.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Delay has it right.

NEWS FLASH!!! the only people mad about hipsters are OLD PEOPLE. This is the same as it has been for generations.

"Fat, bald guys with huge record collections and childless spinsters with blogs love to bitch about ???hipsters??? but seriously folks, who would you rather fuck?"

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Hippies = Grateful Dead

Even though the Velvets and the Dead were contemporaries of each other? (Their first albums both came out in 1967...)

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    My friends call me a "business hippy"

I'm a freelance designer who cycles/takes the buss everywhere (24 years old with no license) and built a composting toilet & huge vegetable garden in my parents house (which I rent one level from them at a hefty profit... never you mind, no trust fund here, this house IS their retirement plan)

I also rock skinny black jeans and wild curly edanish hair, so I guess I have a foot in both camps?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Hipster = [strike]Velvet Underground[/strike] Steve Aoki
    Hippies = Grateful Dead

No way to velvet underground representing hipsters, the aesthetic maybe, but hipster are famous for appropriating genres/styles at the rate of one per week, way more the line of steve aoki or MIA.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

This is just total nonsense. Most hippies were just ordinary middle class people responding to their times. They came of age in an era of total social and political upheaval, when the gov't was lying about a corrupt war and people were dying to get the right to vote. Their response was to reject the system's norms in clothing, lifestyle, thinking and personal expression. Much of it was self-indulgent, stupid and in just plain bad taste. But it was an idealistic movement that deeply altered our thinking about the ourselves and the world. Largely for the better (though Vitamin will argue that they led us into the recession of 1982).

Of course it's a nonsense. But then any catch all labels like hippie or hipster generally are. Defining one is difficult, and completely subjective. So both what I wrote and what you said, could be 'true'.

My parents could've been called hippies. But my mother says she was never a hippie, she was a beatnik. They generally believed in the same stuff as hippies, and could be credited with most of what you wrote above. Does that make all hippies, beatniks?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I embody traits of both "lifestyles".

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Of course it's a nonsense. But then any catch all labels like hippie or hipster generally are. Defining one is difficult, and completely subjective. So both what I wrote and what you said, could be 'true'.

My parents could've been called hippies. But my mother says she was never a hippie, she was a beatnik. They generally believed in the same stuff as hippies, and could be credited with most of what you wrote above. Does that make all hippies, beatniks?

My dad was a beat (a little to old and little to occupied with raising kids to be a hippy). The hippie movement was essentially a psychedelic politicized version of beatdom.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The hippie movement was essentially a psychedelic politicized version of beatdom.

Beatnik - 50s
    Hippie - 60s

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I always thought of hipsters as much closer to mods.

And Edan was rocking a buzz cut as of last year.