People at bars who read novels, study for exams...

2»

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Before I met my wife I would generally prefer to do things alone. If you can't enjoy your own company how can you expect anyone else to enjoy it.

Anyone ever heard the maxim "Loneliness is the poverty of the soul; solitude is the wealth"? If people are comfortable doing things unaccompanied, that's really a positive thing. If you think it's a negative, you may be projecting a bit.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    before I got together with the lady, I used to love going to the movies and/or pub alone. I would love to work on homework while sipping on a pint. Everyone couldn't believe I acutally enjoyed that alone time.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    What about reading in an airport bar? Can we get a pass?

But at my old, old apartment I didn't have an internet connection and the bar next door had free wifi so I'd walk over there with the laptop to pay bills.. which takes all of two seconds so after that I'd be bidding on shit before heading to soulstrut. But Soulstrut was kept to a minimum... ya know, just something to look at while you finish your last few sips of beer. That is unless I ordered a second beer. Which I normally did.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I'm guessing some people don't have a circle of friends they hang out with, don't abide by social norms and they just like to read. I know that's the case with myself. I'm not sure I would be able to concentrate in a environment with a lot of music or talking. It beats staying at home, though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I don't get why so many people are hung up on doing things alone.

Fear of looking like a friendless loser!?

There's a lot to be said for not having to coordinate what you do with anyone else and go whole hours at a time without speaking to anyone. I imagine this has the appeal that it does because I work with people all day, live in a large urban city and have friends and family that I can contact within seconds. The last one is especially a privilege...I don't know how glad I'd be to have alone time if I was a lonely person.

File: UNREASONABLE EXPECTATIONS
    Last summer my friend and I stopped by a bougie diner for coffee at the counter where a dude was reading. Our conversation got pretty intense (she was recounting the worst date story I have ever heard) and we were not yelling or anything, but we were not quiet either. Pointdexter just shot us dirty look after dirty look and he then finally slammed his book shut, finished his coffee and left. See ya!

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Its not about being scared to do anything by yourself. Its about trying to be productive in the middle of a crowded bar. Maybe some folks just like sitting around in them at any cost. I only really go out to meet up with friends, or if someone good is playing records. Otherwise I can find other things to do.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts

Who the hell are you people and why don't you know what coffee shops are?

We are alcoholics. Leave us alone.

Ha ha ha ha...

I stopped at the neighborhood pub recently for a nightcap and there was a cat next to me sipping a Jameson, chasing it with a guinness, and grading papers. I was like, "yeah". That's what I'd do, anyway.

i do this all the time. but normally my friend is bartending and im an alcoholic and its a sloooow tuesday night.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

C. SoulOnIce likes to read SS on the threadmill and it's eating into his time.

I will say that if I spent more time on a tread[/b]mill, and
    less time on the thread[/b]mill that is Soul Strut, I'd probably
    be a much happier and healthier person.

Look, sorry if it bums people out, but I'm a loner, Dottie - a rebel.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    how glad I'd be to have alone time if I was a lonely person.

This doesn't make sense. If you were a lonely person, you'd want some social interaction.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I miss the time I'd spend along at bars/cafes/restaurants in my single days. One of lifes pleasures I think. Couple of drinks, a bit of a read or even some writing. I don't think I'd take a novel to Studio 54, but if it's just a regular joint for sure.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

C. SoulOnIce likes to read SS on the threadmill and it's eating into his time.

Where's that "Nice one!" graemlin when you need it?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    how glad I'd be to have alone time if I was a lonely person.

This doesn't make sense. If you were a lonely person, you'd want some social interaction.

the full sentence was "I don't know how glad I'd be to have alone time if I was a lonely person."

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    back in the days when I was a sexual predator aka single person, it was ok to pretend to be reading some Socrates bullshit in order to gain the attention of an specific women niche: hot and intelectual.

Now all I can see are nerds reading Harry Potter and Lord of the rings. It's a pathetic disgrace to be reading that, why would you want to go public with it?

• C. SoulOnIce likes to read SS on the threadmill and it's eating into his time.

Where's that "Nice one!" graemlin when you need it?

Is that a pee-wee's big adventure quote!?

sometimes I take my sketchbook out to the bar down the block alone to get some quick ideas out. I get stir crazy in my studio after sitting at the same desk for 5 hours, after sitting at another desk earlier in the day for 7 hours getting out of the house (if im not exhausted, or still feeling the caffeine) can be awesome. I usually end up running into someone i know though.

I couldnt read/study in a bar, with all the music, people talking, i think it would be hard to absorb anything. Anyone try/seen anyone bringing thier gameboy to the bar?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    collective crossword puzzle #1 afternoon bar activity.