copyright question - attention bloggers!

Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Can anyone give me some advise as to whether advertisements which appeared in newspapers would require the same level of copyright protection as an article?For example, if I put an advertisement for Piggly Wiggly supermarket on my blog, which I pulled from the New York Times, would the NYT be able to come after me?

Comments

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    is your blog big enough for anyone to care? I wouldnt worry about intellectual or copyright rights with images/text if your not making money off the blog (and i mean big money). You probably wouldnt fall anywhere on there radar so dont stress it. Music distribution is a little more frowned on and labels will cockblock your links on newer shit they are trying to police, like leaks and advances. But a pigglywiggly ad in your blog should be straight.

And if anything does come down they will just send you a cease and desist which you will just have to take the offending item down.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    No one will care, Brian. I put a vintage newspaper movie ad almost every day on my blog last year.

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    Thanks.

lowendtheory > I don't know whether "big enough to care" enters into the equation anymore. When it comes to the internet(s), you never know who will see it and smell law suit. But I'm certainly not making any money on my blog.

One funny thing that happened last year was getting a letter form the lawyer of a singer who I had interviewed. He knew that my intent was to write about him and everything I wrote was based on a series of conversations. Yet, somewhere along the way he decided that his present life as a reborn Christian pastor was in conflict with his R&B past, so he sent his lawyer after me saying that what I had written was not true. Life goes on....

• Can anyone give me some advise as to whether advertisements which appeared in newspapers would require the same level of copyright protection as an article?

For example, if I put an advertisement for Piggly Wiggly supermarket on my blog, which I pulled from the New York Times, would the NYT be able to come after me?

Brian
    The copyright belongs to the advertiser, not the paper. I can't imagine they'd complain anyway (Piggly Wiggly ot thr NYT).
    L

PS What is it?