Soul Train question?

troymccluretroymcclure 11 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Alright here goes it: I just popped on Soul Train at 1:00 (I'm in the Chi) and I guess it's a best of today,they always switch it up.But what I was asking was the first or second record Don C drops is a cover of "Sunny"and I'm dying to know who the artist is, because that shit was straight JACKED for mad house/dance related tracks back in the mid-early 90's and the OG was so nice! Anyway if anyone can help solve this it would be great.(I know there's only about a half million covers of Sunny we know of!!)Thanks in advance.

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Alright here goes it: I just popped on Soul Train at 1:00 (I'm in the Chi) and I guess it's a best of today,they always switch it up.But what I was asking was the first or second record Don C drops is a cover of "Sunny"
    and I'm dying to know who the artist is, because that shit was straight JACKED for mad house/dance related tracks back in the mid-early 90's and the OG was so nice! Anyway if anyone can help solve this it would be great.(I know there's only about a half million covers of Sunny we know of!!)Thanks in advance.

I missed it today, but I'm assuming it was either Yambu or Bobby Hebb, 'cause both acts had simultaneous disco versions in 1976. (And yes, Hebb did do the original '66 "Sunny," but he had a remake on Laurie called "Sunny '76.")

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    It was Yambu.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Alright here goes it: I just popped on Soul Train at 1:00 (I'm in the Chi) and I guess it's a best of today,they always switch it up.But what I was asking was the first or second record Don C drops is a cover of "Sunny"
    and I'm dying to know who the artist is, because that shit was straight JACKED for mad house/dance related tracks back in the mid-early 90's and the OG was so nice! Anyway if anyone can help solve this it would be great.(I know there's only about a half million covers of Sunny we know of!!)Thanks in advance.

I missed it today, but I'm assuming it was either Yambu or Bobby Hebb, 'cause both acts had simultaneous disco versions in 1976. (And yes, Hebb did do the original '66 "Sunny," but he had a remake on Laurie called "Sunny '76.")

And there you have it, folks.

How were the rest of the gospel LP's? I'm still scared to hear the rest, after the Dorothy Glass album.

• That's a great record. I remember pulling it in like 03 on 45 (rooky's!) and thinking "OH MAN! NO ONE KNOWS THIS" wamp wamp, I guess it's regarded as a "classic" or something in some circles.

The album has been re-issued recently as well. I want to say I heard it and thought it was a one-tracker.

I'm tawn' bout the Yambu version not the AM classic version[/b]

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    I like Boney M's.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    How were the rest of the gospel LP's? I'm still scared to hear the rest, after the Dorothy Glass album.

I'll give you a full rundown later, but most turned out fine, with the exception of two 1980's records that were a little too synthed-out and sluggish. There are still a few more I haven't spun yet.