Driving from New Orleans to Austin......

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
How long would this take??

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    8 hrs

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Cool, 1 day driving is worth it for $400 less on the rental car fee by making it a round trip. Thanks.

• 8 hrs
    assuming you make no stops, there is no inclement weather and no Houston traffic, 8 hrs is still very unrealistic...there are a few speed traps in Louisiana where the speed drops to 55-60 on I-10...my uncle could go from Houston to New Orleans or vice versa in about 5 hrs if he was going his usual 75-90m but you're not going to be able to speed like that the whole way...so figure abt 6 hrs from NOLA to Htown...once you get to Houston traveling all the way straight down on I-10, you can take two or even three routes...you can even stay on I-10 all the way to San Antonio which takes between 2.5 and 3 hours and then make a right turn onto I-35 going North which will take you right into Austin, and San Antonio to Austin takes between 45 mins and and an hour, it depends on how fast you're driving....or you could take the route I would take which is I-10 to 45 north to 610 West to 290 West...or you could take I-10 W to 610 N to 290 W but you will definitely hit some traffic...I suggest you leave New Orleans no later than 8 am to avoid the Houston traffic...you would get to Houston by about 2 (at the very latest) or 2:30 if you make stops and would probably get to Austin between 4 and 5, perhaps...I assume you are going to SXSW? Have fun and safe travels...if you want to go straight to downtown Austin/UT area once you get in town take 290 West to I-35 South and get off on one of the lower numbered streets 15th-5th...take care

Yes talking about a straight drive through, easily a full days drive is all I need to factor in. I'm planning a trip for later in the year.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    From I-10 Take Hwy 71 West to Austin instead of going all the way to I-35 in San Antonio. That will cut some time off your trip.

• Yes talking about a straight drive through, easily a full days drive is all I need to factor in. I'm planning a trip for later in the year.
    well, I know you will have a great trip...you picked some good places...what brings you this way? hahaha...make sure you check out some brass bands and all the cool bars...there's a bar called Snake & Jake's, it's a dive bar...and there are tons of places in the quarter...

• From I-10 Take Hwy 71 West to Austin instead of going all the way to I-35 in San Antonio. That will cut some time off your trip.
    agreed, I forgot about 71 you're right...except maybe he might want to stop in Saytown for a bit to take a look around, not sure...

• 8 hrs
    assuming you make no stops, there is no inclement weather and no Houston traffic, 8 hrs is still very unrealistic...there are a few speed traps in Louisiana where the speed drops to 55-60 on I-10...my uncle could go from Houston to New Orleans or vice versa in about 5 hrs if he was going his usual 75-90m but you're not going to be able to speed like that the whole way...so figure abt 6 hrs from NOLA to Htown...once you get to Houston traveling all the way straight down on I-10, you can take two or even three routes...you can even stay on I-10 all the way to San Antonio which takes between 2.5 and 3 hours and then make a right turn onto I-35 going North which will take you right into Austin, and San Antonio to Austin takes between 45 mins and and an hour, it depends on how fast you're driving....or you could take the route I would take which is I-10 to 45 north to 610 West to 290 West...or you could take I-10 W to 610 N to 290 W but you will definitely hit some traffic...I suggest you leave New Orleans no later than 8 am to avoid the Houston traffic...you would get to Houston by about 2 (at the very latest) or 2:30 if you make stops and would probably get to Austin between 4 and 5, perhaps...I assume you are going to SXSW? Have fun and safe travels...if you want to go straight to downtown Austin/UT area once you get in town take 290 West to I-35 South and get off on one of the lower numbered streets 15th-5th...take care
    i meant to say it took my uncle maybe 4-5 hrs to get from NOLA to Htown...he was wild like that, haha...he is the only person I've known who could make it in 4 hrs but everyone else I know who makes the trip has told me it took them at least 5 hrs...

Looks like we'll fly into Austin & check out Austin City Limits, rent a car, drive to see my friend in Corpus Christi for a day or two, go back to Austin for ARC, then travel up through Dallas & Little Rock to Memphis for a few days then down through Mississippi to New Orleans & then drive back to Austin to save $$ on getting the rental car back where we found it. Still have to speak to a travel agent about the feasability of doing all this in 2 weeks. But yeah, in the embryonic stages of planning.

• Looks like we'll fly into Austin & check out Austin City Limits, rent a car, drive to see my friend in Corpus Christi for a day or two, go back to Austin for ARC, then travel up through Dallas & Little Rock to Memphis for a few days then down through Mississippi to New Orleans & then drive back to Austin to save $$ on getting the rental car back where we found it. Still have to speak to a travel agent about the feasability of doing all this in 2 weeks. But yeah, in the embryonic stages of planning.
    hey, I sent you a PM a while ago in re: Alan your friend, hahaha did you get it yet? I don't think 2 weeks is unrealistic at all...you might even want to take a plane from Austin to Corpus as that is probably going to be a long drive...unless you don't mind all the driving...Little Rock to Memphis is an easy trip...you can meet up with York Willborn and the psychedelic 6 when you hit Little Rock, haha....Memphis to NOLA, I dont know how long the trip takes but that would be cool...

yeah, got the pm, will try to remember to ask him about it next time I see him.

I was told Austin to Corpus is around 3.5 hours drive??

• I was told Austin to Corpus is around 3.5 hours drive??
    didn't know that one, I've only driven from Htown to Corpus...I wasn't sure

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    i've done the drive from new orleans to austin (or vice versa) at least 30 times.
    it's 8 hours.

only two ways to do it.
    take I-10 to 71
    or you can take the 290 route into austin...
    really depends on whether you need to be in north or south austin.
    they are pretty much the same in terms of distance/time.

taking I-10 to San Antonio is not any way to travel to Austin...
    that would be going WAY out of the way... probably adds 50 to 75 extra miles of driving.

• i've done the drive from new orleans to austin (or vice versa) at least 30 times.
    it's 8 hours.

only two ways to do it.
    take I-10 to 71
    or you can take the 290 route into austin...
    really depends on whether you need to be in north or south austin.
    they are pretty much the same in terms of distance/time.

taking I-10 to San Antonio is not any way to travel to Austin...
    that would be going WAY out of the way... probably adds 50 to 75 extra miles of driving.
    there are a lot more ways than just two to get to Austin...10 to 35 was only suggested if holmes might be interested in stopping in Saytown...it's not really a matter of going out of the way, it's just a question of whether he even wants to stop there to check out as much of what Texas has to offer in terms of big cities/important places to visit...he later mentioned Dallas...I suggested another way for him if he just wanted to skip Saytown and go straight to Austin from Houston...sure, it can be done in 8 hrs if all conditions are in your favor, and I already said my uncle has made the drive from NOLA to Htown in 4-5 hrs...but you've made the drive frequently...he, however, has never made the drive and he has said he wanted to set aside a day for the drive so that probably means several stops and time to look around, you know?