Dude, what is this Vampire Weekend nonsense?

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Everytime I turn on MTV (just in the mornings getting ready for work), I see a commercial for this band. And they're getting name-checked in magazines and the 'net. Should I be checking these guys? Seems like some Artic Monkey-type steez. But what do I know, I only listen to black music (which includes Prince).

Comments

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    I only listen to black music (which includes Prince).

Then you might like it, it's heavily African-pop influenced.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Everytime I turn on MTV (just in the mornings getting ready for work), I see a commercial for this band. And they're getting name-checked in magazines and the 'net. Should I be checking these guys? Seems like some Artic Monkey-type steez. But what do I know, I only listen to black music (which includes Prince).

I haven't heard the whole album, but "Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa" is pretty cool.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

i hate the hype- but i have to admit i love the record. Catchy songs and tasteful instrumentation. Not earth shattering- but pretty solid.

It is African-pop influenced (think graceland if you shop at urban outfitters) - but is probably the whitest music (ivy league alums) out right now.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Kind of unrelated, but I'm diggin' this tune at the moment and it does sound a little Prince influenced, indy band from NY...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• channonchannon 65 Posts
    It is African-pop influenced (think graceland if you shop at urban outfitters) - but is probably the whitest music (ivy league alums) out right now.

Yeah, I mean African-pop influenced as in "I was listening to Paul Simon in my parents Volvo up at the cape and thought we could make some songs similar, (oh did I spill some chardonnay on my Lacoste related?)."

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    I've never heard them, but they are in the running for top worst band names ever

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I've never heard them, but they are in the running for top worst band names ever

This one is worse...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Yeah, I mean African-pop influenced as in "I was listening to Paul Simon in my parents Volvo up at the cape and thought we could make some songs similar, (oh did I spill some chardonnay on my Lacoste related?)."

Vampire Weekend self-describes their music as ???Upper West Side Soweto.???
    Which i'm kinda down with.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

+

???Upper West Side Soweto.???

=

+

=

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

+

=

dirty nyc prep Kanye is not

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

+

=

gay, apparently.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Never heard those vampire dudes, but that MGMT track that Pony posted is hot!

never heard of these guys. but this:

Everytime I turn on MTV (just in the mornings getting ready for work), I see a commercial for this band.

should never lead to thoughts like this:

Should I be checking these guys?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

never heard of these guys. but this:

Everytime I turn on MTV (just in the mornings getting ready for work), I see a commercial for this band.

should never lead to thoughts like this:

Should I be checking these guys?

not necessarily, they run those same kind of ads every day for different bands. one day it was Lupe Fiasco all evening long for every commercial. no reason to not check for him because of that...although most of the other music peeps I've seen on those commercial carpet bombs are

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    The marketing campaign is working because two people have come into my shop and asked for it in the last few days and at least one of them had never heard any of their music. I'm sure the 8.8 on Pitchfork hasn't hurt either

one day it was Lupe Fiasco all evening long

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm sure the 8.8 on Pitchfork hasn't hurt either

Isn't that .3 above the top of the scale?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The Arctic Monkeys comparison is apt - not in sound, but rather, in how VW is pretty much THE designated "hot new indie band" of 2008 thus far. I haven't heard it myself (disconnected from Upper West Side Soweto?) but I did enjoy reading Robert Christgau's dissection of the negative review that appeared in the Village Voice, where he not-so-gently reminds people that just because it's "pop" and "African" doesn't mean it all comes from the same place or sounds the same.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    I'm sure the 8.8 on Pitchfork hasn't hurt either

Isn't that .3 above the top of the scale?

i think it only deserves a

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Am i the only one that extremely offensive coming from a bunch of dudes who clearly didn't grow up here:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Am i the only one that extremely offensive coming from a bunch of dudes who clearly didn't grow up here:

I dont think its supossed to be that literal, dude. Vampire Weekend isnt reality either.

Unless u can pull up an interview where they say that 77th and Columbus is rough livin'.

And why would poverty first come to mind when/if referencing Soweto?

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Have you seen soweto?

Unless u can pull up an interview where they say that 77th and Columbus is rough livin'.

exactly- it's the sound.

really i want to hate- but i've jamming on the cd-r since last summer. it's a great pop/new wave record. the fact that they're over-privileged shouldn't matter. even if that does irk me a little.

Have you seen soweto?

apparantly you have and you're dying to tell us all about it. so go ahead

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts

Shit, there are so many amazing african bands making shit money, why would you support these doucheface new wave wannabes?

Fuck the cost of 1 cd could support a family for a month in the neighboring nations.

Cape town = cape cod

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Have you seen soweto?

Well look at the picture i posted before of soweto and imagine it for miles.

There you go.

Have you seen soweto?

Well look at the picture i posted before of soweto and imagine it for miles.

There you go.

I know all about Soweto. Had family in Johannesburg, although my Uncle was more than likely one of those piece of shit Afrikaans supporters that ran with Botha. Not cool with me but made me take interest in the place at a pretty young age.

When I think Soweto I think of Malcolm Mclaren's duck rock or the Soweto Gospel Choir.