Third

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Sorry dudes.. I know your stances on downloading, but I had to do it. Sorry dudes.. Don't care. Nah dudes.. don't wanta hear it.. For me, Portishead is one of those rare bands who's taste in music I truly trust. Right now it sounds like they're into that private eclectic shit that only certain digger's can appreciate. After hearing there new album was influenced by Krautrock, I had to copp. Here's some of my remarks on first listen..to the new Portishead album, Third. ** SPOILERS **1. SilenceStarts off with some portugese intro that I can't quite make out, and then they get into a Can meets Portishead feel. What a marriage!! Jaki Libezeit and Irmin Schmidt would be PROUD.2. HunterThis one is definitely killing me, the soundtrack to a dream. Soaked in Reverb, and Minor chords this is the band we all know and love doing what they do best. Welcome back.3. Nylon SmileThis one has some real interesting textures, and backwards guitar at points this almost reminds me of some japanese rock bands like Afrirampo. 4. The RipI love the Theremin/keys sounds on this one. It starts off very modest, and british, and then these heavy EROC sounding keys come in. Very 80's synth heavy kraut sound. 5. PlasticThis ones the Ghostface sample, Somebody chop it up. I don't know what that helicopter sound is, but more songs need this sound.6. We Carry OnAh shit, this is the one Silver apples one. They nailed it. Gotta buy this record. Game FACKIN over!! 7. Deep WaterThis one sounds like some Private found sound. Very basic Ukulele and hilarious backup vocals. At this point in the record they could've record dead studio air, and I'd still be happy. Whattup Waxidermy!8. Machine GunThis one's very different for them, Kind of a Bjork meets Trent reznor sounding track actually. Hard hitting industrial drums, Chopped and distorted. Not in love with it, but very different and unexpected.9. SmallWow, my brain can't comprehend this one right now. Starts off quiet and acoustic, gets very droney, then it just gets into some heavy psych shit. The drums remind of the band Broadcast, and besides that, I can't even tell you who sounds like this Soft machine-esque? Gah, i can't put my finger on it. All I know is this song is Frickin' killer. 10. Magic DoorsThis starts off with an ODD Drum break, featuring Cowbell. Weird synths and mellow bass. This almost feels Cluthy Hopkins-esque very lo-fi. Can we get an MF Doom remix please?11.ThreadsThis starts off with the droning synth sound that they're using a lot here, and even though the drums really aren't doing much, it has a very soulful rhythm. I am in love with the guitar on this song (kind of reminds me of that song i did over those AKO drums). It bubbles up with Fuzz bass and Sirens. When it starts to get intense the Vocals swirl around, and it all fuzzes and fades out. **/SPOILERS**Over already!!!!?? It feels like I barely started. Alright conclusion, lots of people will not like this album . I think it's a wonderful tribute to real psych music. Is it that Funky italian movie soundtrack ish? Nah, it's something very different. I still can't get over the fact that Portishead went in this direction. Some of you are really going to hate it. I love that.I just want to point out. Beth gibbons is 43. Geoff Barrow is 35. Adrian Utley is 50. Who else is making music like this right now? Much respect to the Portishead family, and it's definitely going to be in my crates in heavy rotation soon. Definitely my record of the year so far, it's gonna be hard to top. - spideyb/w *cough*

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Yes! Thanks for the (p)review, Malus.

Personally, I refuse to listen to this particular album before it drops, but I can dig a little hype. I'm going to see them in concert April 4th with my girlfriend, and I'm looking forward to hearing the new material live for the first time.

I know a lot of people here are indifferent to a new Portishead album ("sooo 90s"), but personally I am exited. Fuck a 10 year hiatus if the album is good.

[themack]Heavy shit takes longer[/themack].

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

I know a lot of people here are indifferent to a new Portishead album ("sooo 90s"), but personally I am exited. Fuck a 10 year hiatus if the album is good.

I'm surprised more dudes don't want to talk about this album.

I'm definitely riding for it regardless. I'm interested to see the reactions on the release date I guess.

- spidey

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I don't really get any of those references you made in your review but damn I'm excited for this. Thank God I'm a real head!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    can i get a one or two line review of this?

• I know a lot of people here are indifferent to a new Portishead album ("sooo 90s"), but personally I am exited. Fuck a 10 year hiatus if the album is good.

I'm surprised more dudes don't want to talk about this album.

I'm definitely riding for it regardless. I'm interested to see the reactions on the release date I guess.

- spidey

Have you already checked the leaked live show from the All tomorrows parties?

It had a good chunk of these new tracks on it, I started a thread on it when i heard but it kinda got

yes, three crickets were necessary.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

[themack]Heavy shit takes longer[/themack]

hahahaha ... ha ... yes.

1. Silence

Is this supposed to cut off so sudden? It makes sense given the title, just wondering.

This doesn't seem too out there, in my opinion. Sounds like a natural progression. 5 tracks in and I'm reeeeeally feeling it.

Her voice kills me (in a good way). I love this depressing ass shit and it's just what I need these days. Drags me as low as I can get then it's like "well shit, I can't get any lower. Might as well look up!"

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    b/w *cough*

Do I have to pay to download this?

• Anyone know when the album is actually coming out?

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    04/28

Yeah, Im diggin this too. Malus review sums it up nicely. Funny, alot of my friends who loved Portishead in the 90's are not going to be feeling this at all. Mainly, cuz it's less beat driven and has more guitar in it. However, it doesn't sound like Portishead doing rock in 08. It's more like Portishead had alot time to cull together all the influences that really matter to them in the last ten years and made a record for 08.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    just got this the other day, need some time to truely absorb it though

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This album captures the creepiness that Portishead seems to create. I like it, look forward to the trip everytime I listen to it. One of the tracks feels like a Iron Butterfly riff.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

4. The Rip

I love the Theremin/keys sounds on this one. It starts off very modest, and british, and then these heavy EROC sounding keys come in. Very 80's synth heavy kraut sound.

Fuck, just what the doctor ordered. Send me the White Horses.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    im really excited to hear this...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Loving this record, [P] are definitely not playing it safe on this. Heard that 2 of them had marriages end during the making of the record, and it sounds like it.

The intro to the record says (in Portuguese)

"Be aware of the rules of 3.
    What you give will come back at you.
    This lesson you must learn.
    You only get what you deserve."

Which apparently is some Wiccan thing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Three_%28Wiccan%29

Why am I not surprised by this...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    On first listen it's thrown me slightly as I was expecting a change to a more rock sound ala Mezzanine than the kind of electro angle they've taken. I think this album is not really going to sink in for a good few listens yet but on first hearing I'm very relieved that it sounds fantastic and the band have carefully avoided falling into sounding like a parody of their earlier sound.

• shit, i don't want to cheat myself on this one. must wait. so Frickin' hard though, knowing it's out there and could be gotten if i wanted to...

• 4. The Rip

I love the Theremin/keys sounds on this one. It starts off very modest, and british, and then these heavy EROC sounding keys come in. Very 80's synth heavy kraut sound.

Fuck, just what the doctor ordered. Send me the White Horses.

I just looooove that song ->

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Loving this record, [P] are definitely not playing it safe on this. Heard that 2 of them had marriages end during the making of the record, and it sounds like it.

The intro to the record says (in Portuguese)

"Be aware of the rules of 3.
    What you give will come back at you.
    This lesson you must learn.
    You only get what you deserve."

Which apparently is some Wiccan thing:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Three_%28Wiccan%29

Why am I not surprised by this...

Having now given the album a proper play through I'm even more impressed than on first listen. Probably still too early to pick out and out favourites but We Carry On has just blown my mind. Absolutely outstanding album and one of the few times I can think of when a comeback this long delayed has merited the hype.

I'll also certainly be purchasing this on the day of it's release.

• i did cave in and downloaded it but as soon as the first track sliced off abruptly i felt like i wasn't hearing it the way it was intended to be heard so i killed it. i'll wait

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    that slice you refer to is intentional.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I heard this album over the weekend. I like it and the direction they took. However, its been a while since I listened to the other Portishead albums but did Beth's voice change drastically? Seemed a lot more low and harsh, and I didn't like it.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    This looks good....

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I like the cover a lot.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I'd heard from various journalist friends that it was "unlistenable" or that it sounded "as if they'd lost their nerve and were scared to make a record people might actually like", so I was expecting it to be a pretty grim listen. I actually think it's pretty good. I mean, nobody listens to Portishead for laughs or anything, but on first hearing I was relieved to discover that they've switched it up a bit - with a decade between albums, you'd hope they would have done. It still sounds like them, but it's not a retread of the previous records, thankfully. I think it's one of those records that'll reward a bit of patience. I like that ukulele-and-vocoders ballad; it's a nice and unexpected change of mood in an album that's kind of sonically harsh overall. But maybe that's because playing an entire song in minor chords on a ukulele would sound pretty stupid.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    This looks good....
    Items Subtotal ??34.04 ??0.00 ??34.04
    Postage ??9.95 ??0.00 ??9.95
    Grand Total ??43.99 ??0.00 ??43.99

I'd heard from various journalist friends that it was "unlistenable" or that it sounded "as if they'd lost their nerve and were scared to make a record people might actually like", so I was expecting it to be a pretty grim listen. I actually think it's pretty good. I mean, nobody listens to Portishead for laughs or anything, but on first hearing I was relieved to discover that they've switched it up a bit - with a decade between albums, you'd hope they would have done. It still sounds like them, but it's not a retread of the previous records, thankfully. I think it's one of those records that'll reward a bit of patience. I like that ukulele-and-vocoders ballad; it's a nice and unexpected change of mood in an album that's kind of sonically harsh overall. But maybe that's because playing an entire song in minor chords on a ukulele would sound pretty stupid.

Yeah the ukulele track comes in at just the right time as the album becomes heavier and heavier as it goes on. The way they've adapted their trademark sound while sounding fresh is an achievement in itself but the sequence of tracks from The Rip to Magic Doors is up there with anything they've ever done.

I actually, Threads apart, find this their least morose album as well. Heavy as fuck, yes, but not depressing. I'm surprised by your friend's comments as well as, if they cast their mind back, I don't think Dummy was originally seen as a commercial sound when they released it - although Massive Attack had laid the groundwork the whole trip-hop sound only really took off chart wise in the wake of songs like Glory Box..

The album impresses more everytime I hear it and benefits greatly from being played at high volumes. I'd go so far as to say that I'll be impressed if I hear much better than this release for the rest of the year and this is coming from someone who was less than hyped about their comeback.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    not funky enough for me. this record doesn't have hips.