Homework Help (RR)

minneapminneap 541 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I have a paper to write in my Production and Sound Recording class. It's not due till the end of semester but I figured I'd get a head start on it. The paper is basically this, pick an album you like and research the different production and recording techniques used in the studio. I know everyone's going to talk about the Beatles, Beach Boys and other real common dudes so I was hoping to write mine on something hip-hop. Problem is I don't know if there are many resources to write about a hip-hop record for 5 pages ( ). Let me know if you've got any loose info that would help me out. Respek.

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    check the 33 1/3 Beastie Boys Pauls Boutique book or read up on Brian Coleman's "Check The Technique"

33 1/3 gets into some specifics. I can't think of anything that gets more detailed, hip hop wise. Both of those have pretty good info though, 33 1/3 on Pauls Boutique having more insight.

Just write 5 pages on Laffy Taffy.

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    If your school has access to the indexs look up JStor, its a very good source for scholarly music papers. I'm doing a paper on free jazz right now and I'm amazed what there is out there.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Not that that I can endorse DJ Spooky (I've never heard his music, but his elongated pen name seems like such a poor design decision), however he has assembled a new book thats coming out at the end of the month. In this new book you will find a section written by Chuck D. Link. You could also go so far as emailing someone.

You may also want to look at the already-discussed-on-the-Strut-book Making the Beats by Joseph Schloss (sp?). Like C7 said, get with some 33&1/3s, and maybe check out David Toop's HIp Hop book.

Personally, I would be writing on the almighty Holger Czukay and the Can albums (Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi, and Future Days) that were two tracks of 'jam sessions' that got spliced and edited into albums. Especially with Stockhausen connection. Not that I'm into Stockhausen, but the name lends cred.

Have fun with it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    if you need to quote me for a namedrop just let me know

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

yes Rakim Told Me is a good reference, but Check The Technique is all of Rakim Told Me but with added chapters, so he'd probably be better off picking that up.