the "end it early please" email

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
got two of these...folks wanting me to end an auction, thing is I thought the record was a $100 record...the offers are for $750, cant see it ending for much more than this, then ebay would take its cut, yada yada...thinkin a "bird in the hand" on this one might be a good move...usually I dont do this because the offer is usually a pittance of what it will end for...WWSSD?

Comments

• what's the record?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    some hillbilly 78

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Just outta curiosity, what makes you think it's $100 record? I had a couple of Metallica 12"s (don't ask why) last year that I thought were about $100-150 a piece and I got a couple offers to end at $300-$350 for the pair. Ended up getting double that letting it ride. I'd say 95% of the time people are trying to low-ball with offers. Still, I'd be tempted too.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    got two of these...folks wanting me to end an auction, thing is I thought the record was a $100 record...the offers are for $750, cant see it ending for much more than this, then ebay would take its cut, yada yada...thinkin a "bird in the hand" on this one might be a good move...usually I dont do this because the offer is usually a pittance of what it will end for...WWSSD?

If you got 2 offers for about the same amount I'd let it ride. Most likely they'll be bidding against each other.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    some hillbilly 78

"I hate to ask but I really need this by Friday for DJing my party that night"

I ended the auction...dude was talked up who was willing to barter to $1050...no ebay, no paypal...I took it. paid a buck for it originally, will probably end up being a $10,000 record, but the last one on popsike did $134...records are weird.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I ended the auction...dude was talked up who was willing to barter to $1050...no ebay, no paypal...I took it. paid a buck for it originally, will probably end up being a $10,000 record, but the last one on popsike did $134...records are weird.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Sorry to thread jack Hook-Up...but many years ago I was riding around with you in your Jeep and you were playing some Brazilian air lines thing where there were plane noises between songs like they were flying to diff parts of Brazil...WHat was that??? PM if you don't wanna let the cat out of the bag.

PS... just to keep it related, whats up with people who ask you to end an auction early, then when you finally agree, you never hear from them again??

whats up r**ger!...that was a promotional record from brazilian airlines called "Brazil By Music", there a few volumes...I dont have pic handy, but that particular one has an chick with an afro playing a conga on the cover...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I'd say 95% of the time people are trying to low-ball with offers.

Yeah.

I had a lot of 45s up a few years back - all low end soul 45s, and I threw in this one 45 by some white dude on Ronn just to get rid of it. I started getting offers to end it for $300, $400, $500... I was about to accept $500 until I got one email specifically asking me if I could break the lot up and just ship the white dude so he could save $$ on shipping. Well, I cancelled the acution and put up whitey by himself and it went for $1525. Glad that last guy emailed me... ya know, saving me a grand and all.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Thanks...I've been thinking about that record since I heard it but never asked...Now off to the search.

Also..thanks! Now everyone knows my real name is Ranger!

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    WHY ARE YOU DISCOUNTING THE MUSICAL IMPORTANCE OF WHITE PEOPLE?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    whats up r**ger!...that was a promotional record from brazilian airlines called "Brazil By Music", there a few volumes...I dont have pic handy, but that particular one has an chick with an afro playing a conga on the cover...

Sorry, couldn't find a better pic, but this is the cover of "Brazil By Music".

Peace

Strike>WHY ARE YOU DISCOUNTING THE MUSICAL IMPORTANCE OF WHITE PEOPLE?
    /Strike>

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

PS... just to keep it related, whats up with people who ask you to end an auction early, then when you finally agree, you never hear from them again??

Have them Paypal the money before you end the auction.

• I'd say 95% of the time people are trying to low-ball with offers.

Yeah.

I had a lot of 45s up a few years back - all low end soul 45s, and I threw in this one 45 by some white dude on Ronn just to get rid of it. I started getting offers to end it for $300, $400, $500... I was about to accept $500 until I got one email specifically asking me if I could break the lot up and just ship the white dude so he could save $$ on shipping. Well, I cancelled the acution and put up whitey by himself and it went for $1525. Glad that last guy emailed me... ya know, saving me a grand and all.

Bill Bush?

My favorite are all the people who ask you to end an auction early but don't make an offer. Instead they ask what my buy it now price is. Motherfucker, if I wanted to do a buy it now I wouldn't be running an auction, you know what I mean?

Sorry, couldn't find a better pic, but this is the cover of "Brazil By Music".

Peace

I feel dumb now Ranger, I put the LP in my first "ISH"...check the features section of soulstrut...

Bill Bush?

I just don't understand how it's a big northern record. Just when I thought I knew "the sound" too.

Ranger,

I like this. Hope it sticks.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    In your Ish...right under my nose!

That doesn't sound right...

Love,

Ranger