Spike Lee appreciation thread

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i like charles burnett's understated style.

me, too. I like them both.

sometimes you feel like Lady Saw, sometimes you feel like Hampton Hawes.

• Did Spike invent the "put an actor on a rails and shoot them as if they were walking even though they're clearly not walking" shot?

I always thought this was an odd/awkward technique - so much so that Chris Rock totally clowned it in "CB4."

That said, when he does this in "Clockers" with the kid on the bike with "Outta Here" blasting?

Isn't that a Frankenheimer staple?

I know he did it in Seconds which predates Scorsese's Mean Streets which I think is where Spike really got the idea from. It's a tired technique which should be put to rest. The bike scene in Clocker's was well done though so I'll give him a pass on that.

I'll have to give Seconds another look. Haven't seen it in a while.
    Yes! When I watched Scorsese's Mean Streets, especially the pool hall sequence before Charlie passes out (inebriated), I finally realized where Dickerson, Lee et al got the aforementioned technique from. And it totally makes sense in Mean Streets - Kent Wakefield was the cinematographer and he did a great job. However, in Lee's films this technique just often seems unnecessary and even annoying. And like any director I'm sure he has some films he can't even watch. But, I do give him a lot of credit for making socially relevant films, especially the ones like 25th Hour and Do the Right Thing which for me capture the Zeitgeist.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

and Spike's Joint In Brooklyn. It was hot for a quick minute.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    is anybody else here ready for Spike to get angry again?

Have you seen his Katrina documentary?

Came in here specifically to say that he did a great job on that doc.

No carpetbaggin' for Spike...dude definitely tapped into the real with that one.