Sound Triangle Pressings Question

spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
First off, aside from Coke, Opus, Pearly Queen, and Ray & His Court (is there a Reynaldo joke about this one yet?), what else shreds on the label? How is that Wild Wind record?Also though, I got a copy of Opus recently that was sealed, had some mold issues which I cleaned off to the best of my current means, but it still plays with all kinds of background noise. Does this have to do with the cheap pressing or the residual gunk that I might not be getting off?

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    First off, aside from Coke, Opus, Pearly Queen, and Ray & His Court (is there a Reynaldo joke about this one yet?), what else shreds on the label? How is that Wild Wind record?

Also though, I got a copy of Opus recently that was sealed, had some mold issues which I cleaned off to the best of my current means, but it still plays with all kinds of background noise. Does this have to do with the cheap pressing or the residual gunk that I might not be getting off?

Sound Triangle has a very extensive, deep catalog. Definitely not all about Coke and Pearly Queen.

Check out Luis Santi's stuff - top-notch salsa.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i got a cool latin sound triangle called zodiac (i think)
    with a nice song called "no quiero que te vayas" or something like that

luis santi is el bigote? funky at all or straight up salsafied

whats opus like?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    word, there it goes

not the best sound quality, but life goes on

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    whats opus like?

100% facemelt. My understanding is that it's basically the same group as Coke. The record is heavier on the guitars and has more of a rock sound than the hard salsa funk of Coke, but I really dig it. The first track on the b-side, "Beware" is unbelievably hard. Check your PMs in a few hours when I get home from work.

There's also a track called "Man of Many Words" which I swear is a reworking of "Hard to Handle" (Otis Redding/Patti Drew). Anyone else hear the same thing?

• La Suprema is a good pure salsa album on the label. Luis Santi is great too. Haven't heard too much on the label unfortunately.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    lot of crap on the label too, though.

honestly of all the mid 70's cuban stuff happening in miami at the time... the stuff on triangle is far from my favorite sound. would much rather listen to some of the top notch salsa dura stuff than a lot of the latin rock... can't say i'm too into pearly queen, ray & his court, etc. But that's a matter of taste and preference.

i will ride for Coke though. the group.

never seen that one ton.e posted up though...

• reskresk 391 Posts
    lots of salsa records.

the coke lp is probably the most common non-straight salsa lp (was up to four copies, all local thrift finds) here in miami. Sold thousands out here, and sold in nyc and LA as well.

As far as not all straight latin lps, theres mantrap lp's (still havent heard the first one, got doubles of their second one for trade), clockwork, wild wind (i like this lp very much), sings of zodiac, and opus.

Opus is coke minus peter fernandez (left the group, recorded solo stuff and stuff with the antiques). Actually i like coke lp better than opus, i liked peter fernandez's voice.

I actaully think the pearly queen lp is very good too, the more i listen, the better it gets. Probably the most progressive group effort.

Luis Santi's el bigote lp is all salsa minus los feligreses

Lastly, their pressing are just plain poor. I wonder whats the deal with the colombian pressings? I wonder if this was manny matos approved or straight boots?

• mold can be a killer even after its gone. but yeah, ST pressings don't seem to be the highest quality either.

on a related note (sorry to threadjack):

just picked this one up on the street today, really feeling it. it's a Borinquen pressing (usually pretty solid), and it's a real clean copy. but on a couple of brief moments at the end of side A, the volume dips in and out a bit. it even seems to do some weird panning. Is that part of the recording? Anyone know? Or did I cop a bum press?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    In a thrift store in FL I found a klesmer group LP on sound triangle. Junk. Odd label. Wild wind is a great rock LP. I dig most of the other ones mentioned as well.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've had a couple copies of the Coke LP that played terrible but looked NM; not really into the funky latin rock sound anymore, though--much rather play some heat like this:

would much rather listen to some of the top notch salsa dura stuff than a lot of the latin rock

Cosign.

There's some stuff that's decent on the Latin rock tip but also a lot of wanna-be Santana knock-offs.

Alright well when you dudes officially decide that latin rock is "over" I will happily buy it from you. Thank you for the recommendations though, I want to pick up a copy of that "Signs of the Zodiac".

The salsa stuff is great but I will grip records like Coke and Opus to no end, to me it is a perfect combo, and doesn't sound like Santana at all.

Alright well when you dudes officially decide that latin rock is "over" I will happily buy it from you. Thank you for the recommendations though, I want to pick up a copy of that "Signs of the Zodiac".

The salsa stuff is great but I will grip records like Coke and Opus to no end, to me it is a perfect combo, and doesn't sound like Santana at all.

It's not that Latin rock, as a genre, is wack. But as a question of listening taste, plus what works on the floor and what doesn't, I find that Latin rock doesn't quite do it as well as just a hot salsa track.

In terms of cool Latin rock album you might want to check for, Lou Perez and His N.Y. Sound on Parnaso. I got a copy of this off Aleit and it's solid as both a salsa and Latin rock LP. I think you'd dig.

It's not that Latin rock, as a genre, is wack. But as a question of listening taste, plus what works on the floor and what doesn't, I find that Latin rock doesn't quite do it as well as just a hot salsa track.

In terms of cool Latin rock album you might want to check for, Lou Perez and His N.Y. Sound on Parnaso. I got a copy of this off Aleit and it's solid as both a salsa and Latin rock LP. I think you'd dig.

Yeah, just clownin' around, I know you're not dismissing the genre. And I know that at some point I will wake up and go "what was I missing?" and start buying salsa and other latin records like crazy. I'm on my way, not quite there yet though.

I'll go harass Ari about Lou Perez.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    one left.

• tij1natij1na 14 Posts
    The Wild Wind record is good, but it doesn't blow me away. Not something you really feel like listening to after the first spin.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    I want to pick up a copy of that "Signs of the Zodiac".

I've got a copy for trade

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    peter fernandez

Heard a solo 45 by him over the weekend that had a funky backing but the vocals were terrible... he turned into a lounge singer after quitting coke I guess?

Is there a solo LP by him on ST?

I'll go harass Ari about Lou Perez.

"Caribbean Woman" =

You might also look for the Tequila album, "Power," out of Sweden.

And there's also the excellent Cosa Nostra album on Raff out of Mexico.

• magromanmagroman 88 Posts

Luis Santi's el bigote lp is all salsa minus los feligreses

I dig that track!!

What are they mumbling about in it??

I have that live concert with the version of cookie crumbs.

mmmmmmmmmmmm

still prefer the coke...

Apparently Coca Cola made them change their name to OPUS and on the cover of the first Opus LP they are holding up a copy of the COKE lp..(sticking it to the man!)

But the Ray and his Court record is REALLLLY good.

• In terms of cool Latin rock album you might want to check for, Lou Perez and His N.Y. Sound on Parnaso. I got a copy of this off Aleit and it's solid as both a salsa and Latin rock LP. I think you'd dig.

I've also really been into Marquez S/T of late. It's not on Sound Triangle, but definitely on the hot Latin Rock tip... "Clap, Clap Pa-Ca" is a straight burner.

• If I could build a time machine and go back in time the very first thing I would do is cut off a young Santana's hands.

ps. While I ride for Sound Triangle in theory, there is MUCH better "latin rock" out there, and most if it wasn't made in America.

If I could build a time machine and go back in time the very first thing I would do is cut off a young Santana's hands.

ps. While I ride for Sound Triangle in theory, there is MUCH better "latin rock" out there, and most if it wasn't made in America.

I am not seeing this Santana influence that you guys are talking about very clearly. The Sound Triangle material to me sounds way more like Florida garage rock mixed with hard Salsa.

Santana is an overrated guitar noodlist but not deserving of THAT much hate. Really?

And yes I understand that there are grips of killer latin rock records to be had in Mexico/Peru/Chile.