Me'shell Ndegeocello

m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I'm listening to "Comfort Woman" now. Beautiful album.Beautiful cover too IMO.My girlfriend introduced me to it when I met her 4 years ago, and it she would play it a lot when we were hanging out at her crib (now ours).At the time I hadn't really checked that much for Ndegeocello since her debut "Plantation Lullabies". "If That's Your Girlfriend", "Let Me Run My Fingers Thru Your Dreadlocks" and all that. I also saw her in concert back then (good show). But then she kind of slipped under my radar for years.I need to stop procrastinating and check more of her back catalogue. Any strutters feeling her? What's good?I remember she was nasty on the bass too. Yes slapz. Anybody seen her live lately?I think it's a bit strange that she never gets mentioned in "new soul" threads.Bi-sexual/androgyne backlash?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I need to stop procrastinating and check more of her back catalogue. Any strutters feeling her? What's good?

BITTER is a must cop

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    im not a huge fan by any means but her track "fool of me" off the love and basketball ost is a favorite of mines.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I fuck with her whole catalog pretty much. Word on "Bitter" being a must cop

B/W

She used to be in love with my wife, back when her and Rebecca Walker was an item and all.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Anybody seen her live lately?
    si
    muy bueno

• oldjeezyoldjeezy 134 Posts
    LOOOVE comfort Woman. Totally unique blunted dub-soul sound. The latest CD The World Has Made Me The Man of My Dreams is great and totally unique. Feeling the bonus track "Soul Spaceship".

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i remember seeing her on a video ages ago, i think it was a funk brothers special or something, she was amazing, changed my opinion of her for ever

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I have been playing bass for 20 years and would kill for 1% of her talent. She is the baddest in my book. Nothing too clever, just fantastic feel and deadly note-placement.

To be honest I am not down with the sombre stuff like "Bitter"; I prefer the groovier stuff. I thought after the first two sets she could be the female Prince if she wanted to play the game, but she didn't. Maverick didn't know what to do with her.

My recommendation is the first two sets, "Plantation Lullabies", "Peace Beyond Passion" and the recent "Dance of the Infidels" which is a curveball but heavy on the jazz tip. I am unfamiliar with the latest set which I will rectify presently.

If you can youtube the video for "If That's Your Boyfriend" she grooves a little solo bass at the end, plus there is a bird on there with wicked eyes. You'll know the one.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I've never been into her, and she was sooo horrible on the Standing In The Shadows of Motown documentary..

Except that moment with her and bob babbit. Also, I will never ever listen to anything by Ben Harper after that Marvin gaye cover.

- spidey