Recommend Some Dope Heavy Rock Stuff!!!

behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
some common stuff/some not so common stuff.i am not necessarily looking for anything tripped outsomething along the lines of Zeus.just rawness. tremendous replay value.....

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    tremendous replay value.....

Accessible and "radio friendly", or stuff you want to have the munchies for?

Are we talking "stoner rock" like Sleep or stuff from space like Valient Thorr, or something else entirely?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Valient Thorr

I saw this band live recently - they opened for The Sword.

They were completely ridiculous.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Valient Thorr

I saw this band live recently - they opened for The Sword.

They were completely ridiculous.

When I had Fuse (the cable network), I had seen them on that Vans Warped Tour special and I really liked what they were about. I bought two of their LP's right after.

• Been diggin this alot lately

Also, not sure if it's "heavy" enough for you, but any Queens Of The Stone Age record gets (re)play on my system. Nothing mindblowing, but straight up balls out rock and roll.

My $0.02

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    i don't need radio friendly stuff. but that isn't my concern. as long as it rocks. i am looking for 70's stuff definitely.

i love Queens of the Stone Age but it isnt something i am considering in my quest. just nice heavy music.

steering wheel drumming!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

• that LEAF HOUND lp is worth a few quid!!!

you can't go wrong with the first few sabbath records. job done.

• HamHam 872 Posts

one of my favorite 70's hardrock records. "stray"=

check this one too:

Texas (i think?).

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I like this one alot. Thanks to shitzr for hooking me up.

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    wow thanks Delay

!!!!

• Been diggin this alot lately

Also, not sure if it's "heavy" enough for you, but any Queens Of The Stone Age record gets (re)play on my system. Nothing mindblowing, but straight up balls out rock and roll.

My $0.02

major So dark and delicious

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm sure plenty will disagree--and for good reason--but the King Crimson record Lark's tongue in Aspic, has great moments. Particularly Jamie Muir's solo on the trashy kit from the opener.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    heres a 160 minutes of heavy rock...all late 60s and early 70s stuff, including Leaf Hound, Hard Stuff, Josefus and tons of other bands in these two mixes, enjoy:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I'm sure plenty will disagree--and for good reason--but the King Crimson record Lark's tongue in Aspic, has great moments. Particularly Jamie Muir's solo on the trashy kit from the opener.

Hell yes, I love that album...along with Red as well.

Another hella common one is Robin Trower's Long Misty Days. Reduce the pitch on the title track to -8 and...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Hell yes, I love that album...along with Red as well.

My memories of Red are hazy. I also really ejoyed Starless and Bible Black, but it's more moody than heavy. It has some great Mellotron/Violin moments.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    This evening I'll post up "Dead Meat" by Bolder Damn.....don't get too much heavier than that.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Listening to this on their myspace player now.
    I might just go cop this.

• This evening I'll post up "Dead Meat" by Bolder Damn.....don't get too much heavier than that.

That's funny Rock, I was trying to remember the heavyiosity jam you played for me. Is "Dead Meat" the sidelong cut?

This evening I'll post up "Dead Meat" by Bolder Damn.....don't get too much heavier than that.

That's funny Rock, I was trying to remember the heavyiosity jam you played for me. Is "Dead Meat" the sidelong cut?

That's the one....21+ minutes of stoopid heavy.

Really???

Not what I think of as "heavy rock".

• Options
    Definitely on the psych/xian tip, but I think it's pretty heavy.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Most Soul Strut threads recommending rock albums are impossibly broad, and this one is no exception. Just a catchall for any random rock album ever. I have the Black Angels on my iPod, and the last thing they remind me of is King Crimson. Both bands make appearances in this thread, yet have nothing really in common. Next thing you know, people will start mentioning Los Lobos, 24-7 Spyz and the Grass Roots. Don't sound anything alike, but hell, they're all "rock," right?

But hey, while we're tripping - I recently bought a copy of Thor's Keep The Dogs Away album from 1976...for a would-be metal god who usually turns up on "guilty pleasures" lists, this album ain't bad at all!

POSSIBLE NSFW PICTURE:[/b]

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Recently discussed - Side 2 of this:

NSFW LP COVER:[/b]

Not sure I would call this out and out "heavy" but it seems like it might fit with some of the other recommendations:

The staples of Sleep, Earth and OM.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    if you dig The Black Angels you should really check out Dead Meadow

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Two heavies I like: