Texas Soul question

canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Can I get a price check on this 45:Johny Starr ~ Hang On - Hang Up b/w Show Yourself (Diamond Jim Records, Groves, TX)"Hang On - Hang Up" Is a nice organ driven sweet soul and the flip "Show Yourself" is more funk. Was there any other soul records on this label? I found about 6 45s on this label and they were all country except for this one, which was the first release (well, it was label No. 1000, and the rest were all 100*).I'll have sound clips and label scans in a minute. Thanks.

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I can only give you an estimate in bananas and envelopes.

But are they countable?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I WILL NOT BE DRAGGED INTO A MATH PROBLEM GOD DAMNIT

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Is it the same Diamond Jim label as Manuel B Holcom's "Stayed Away Too Long" 45?. That Holcom is a great funky soul 45 on a Diamond Jim.

• salviasalvia 279 Posts
    Is it the same Diamond Jim label as Manuel B Holcom's "Stayed Away Too Long" 45?. That Holcom is a great funky soul 45 on a Diamond Jim.

Yeah, i was thinking of this label aswell but it was based in Detroit. There are some more nice releases by E.J. & the Echoes and Lee Rogers on that label.
    I also had to think of the 'Jim Gem' label with the Charley Wynn funk 45 but that's from New orleans i think.

Anyway, that's a nice 45, thanks for sharing.

OK, now I can see the label scans it's definitely a different label than the Holcom 45.

• do we really want to call this soul?

the weird thing is, there's not only a detroit diamond jim label, but there's a detroit (or detroit-related) johnny starr...he has a single on mala, "don't block the road"/"do re mi fa so la ti do" that's great.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    yeah, don't know if i'd really call it soul....

but then again can't knock the hustle.

are they covering the Black Crowes on that "Show Yourself" tune?

do we really want to call this soul?
    What else to call it? R&B? At least in regards to the first sound clip.

• blue-eyed soul at the most I'd say

• It's big tent soul. The country accent makes it unique sounding too. I like it.

• It's big tent soul.

isn't that just a fancy way of saying "blue eyed soul"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    It's big tent soul.

What is "blue eyed soul" a fancy way of saying?

• It's big tent soul.

I have no idea what color the singer's eyes are. I'm just saying, it sounds like a c+w singer decided to cut his version of a soul record. For some folks, that means that it's not real soul or something. I personally would label it as soul. Whatever, who cares?

• It's big tent soul.

What is "blue eyed soul" a fancy way of saying?

good point. white boy soul.

there we are

lol

• It's big tent soul.

I have no idea what color the singer's eyes are. I'm just saying, it sounds like a c+w singer decided to cut his version of a soul record. For some folks, that means that it's not real soul or something. I personally would label it as soul. Whatever, who cares?

No you're probably right, whether or not he succeeded makes the difference. To me he didn't

Clear your ears, it's a soul 45, end of argument.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    I own and have owned a few things on the label. Pretty sub-par stuff overall. Pretty sure there was a Huey Meaux connection with the label. Groves is about two hours East of Houston but the 45 has a Houston area code. No phone number in Groves would ever be a 713 number.

I own and have owned a few things on the label. Pretty sub-par stuff overall. Pretty sure there was a Huey Meaux connection with the label.
    Yeah, I found a bunch of singles on Diamond Jim with this one and they were all sub-par. I really liked this one, though. But I need the cash so it's up on the auction block.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Excellent bump-response combo.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    $3000

$3001

Excellent bump-response combo.

Yeah, a bit self serving admittedly. But, while listing it, I was curious about this thread so I searched it out again.

Reynaldo, you can have the single for $3,000. I'll even throw in free shipping.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    $[/b]

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I own and have owned a few things on the label. Pretty sub-par stuff overall. Pretty sure there was a Huey Meaux connection with the label. Groves is about two hours East of Houston but the 45 has a Houston area code. No phone number in Groves would ever be a 713 number.

Nope...90 minutes east of Houston. Sadly, I grew up in Groves. Never heard of Johnny Star, though. Can you tell me what that street address is on the label?

Nope...90 minutes east of Houston. Sadly, I grew up in Groves. Never heard of Johnny Star, though. Can you tell me what that street address is on the label?

Gotta be giving me shit about East Texas business from the Bay!

7212 Howe
    Groves, Texas

That is what it says on the label.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Haha, that's definitely in Groves. 713 area code makes no sense under that address, as per Pointman's comment.