Scot Storch is kinda overated. yeah?

2»

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    noz, you're avatar is creepy.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    scott storch is garbage... he took any sonic innovations timbaland and neptunes came up with and cheezed them up... cornball... his annoying fake symphonic pretentions can suck my left one... he's the one to blame for the use of the BIG EPIC CHORD HIT that you hear overused everywhere... honestly, his music reminds me of dinner music/faux classical exotica records from the 50's, all copping to a style, with no substance...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Rich Harrison's best shit (and biggest hits) is that sparse, raw hip hop shit- these asshole A&R muthafuckas have no idea what he's doing. They wanted no parts of "1 Thing", they wanted him to add more instuments and make it more melodic, etc. Gaddam folls. That's probably why "Love Is Off The Chain" became love is off the album, and that shit is bangin' harder than anything else on that cd except for maybe "1 Thing". Amerie still hasn't even gone gold yet, all because (IMO) the label just doesn't believe in that shit enough to push it properly. Folls.

And alla y'all dissin' Scott Storch, y'all know what y'all are, right?

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Unfortunately the A&R people do feel he's irrelevant. "One Thing" wasn't released as a single for like what, 3-4 months? A&R people didn't think it was going to do anything.

According to Amerie that song was in the Sony trashcan for well over 12 months until her & Rich threw out that white label last December.
    IMG SRC=http://www.emimusicpub.com/worldwide/img_content/photo_rich-harrison_profile.jpg>
    FONT SIZE=4>SONY BE HATIN'!

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I mean, I liked lean back. But shit like "get it poppin"? Trash.

Ive heard a few nice cuts from him, but its REAL hit and miss. Most of the time I feel like his shit just comes out kinda generic. Like that jadakiss track. Not terrible I guess, but just not really all that interesting.

Actually this dudes best work was probably on the beyonce album. Good stuff, but I dont really get why he's hailed as one of the best hip hop producers out there.

hes kind of just a cheaper version of dre. right?

He did have a hot beat on the young gunnaz first record though.

but that "gangsta party" track he just gave joe buddens? I mean that whole song is a fucking joke.

i agree 100%

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I think scott Storch has this shit on lock right now just as Neptunes did at one point. Good ear for instrumentation and drum programming.

Rich harrison is that dude reppin' DC so all love to him too. He's doing it his way which I can't say about most producers out there.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

According to Amerie that song was in the Sony trashcan for well over 12 months until her & Rich threw out that white label last December.

Accordin' to Harrison, he felt that he had to leak the track since no one in Sony was goin' to champion it - so after weighin' the financial loss that would accompany puttin' it out as a white label/etc., he sent the track out to specific DJs in the UK to break it/create a buzz, unbeknownst to Sony on either side of the Atlantic...

Does no one @ Sony listen to Chuck Brown & The Soulsearchers? Troublefunk? Rare Essence? Didn't Sony release 'Sardines' (Junkyard Band) when Def Jam was a distributed label? What up w/ that?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Rich Harrison's best shit (and biggest hits) is that sparse, raw hip hop shit- these asshole A&R muthafuckas have no idea what he's doing. They wanted no parts of "1 Thing", they wanted him to add more instuments and make it more melodic, etc. Gaddam folls.

Heavily go-go influenced - if anyone @ Sony ever attended a go-go jam where it's just straight percussion for days on end, then they'd 'get it'... As it stands, Harrison's sh*t may as well be Oneness of Juju to brass @ Sony...

just as Neptunes S>did at one point/S>.

they STILL got it locked down...

what up Ts%ga?..how you feelin' homie?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Feelin' good feeling great...how are you

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    word. i'm only talkin bad about scott out of jealousy. obviously dude works his ass off. i'd be happy to have one top 10 in my entire career. peace, stein. . .

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Hating? dude is a millionaire! I think at this point he can take a LITTLE bit of criticism right?

I mean, if "kinda overated" sticks you as unfairly harsh, then sorry. Im not even saying I dont check for him, I just think he gets a little cheesy sometimes.

philly cats need to cut it out with this hating stuff.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    On a positive note, I do respect dude for giving alot of west coast dudes trying to come up the discount rate. That shit is mad cool.

Rich Harrison's best shit (and biggest hits) is that sparse, raw hip hop shit- these asshole A&R muthafuckas have no idea what he's doing. They wanted no parts of "1 Thing", they wanted him to add more instuments and make it more melodic, etc. Gaddam folls.

Heavily go-go influenced - if anyone @ Sony ever attended a go-go jam where it's just straight percussion for days on end, then they'd 'get it'... As it stands, Harrison's sh*t may as well be Oneness of Juju to brass @ Sony...

Why does everybody think this song is go-go influenced, even Amerie herself? The sample is the Meters "Oh! Calcutta". That's straight up Nawlins off-on beat staggered drumming right there. Go-go has a whole different bounce to it. I guess it's the drumrolls that have people confused?

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i think its the hand drums in the back ground that rich added that makes it "go-go."

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Why does everybody think this song is go-go influenced, even Amerie herself? The sample is the Meters "Oh! Calcutta". That's straight up Nawlins off-on beat staggered drumming right there. Go-go has a whole different bounce to it. I guess it's the drumrolls that have people confused?

Sorry Phill, should've qualified - meant to say that Harrison's sound reflects his Northern Virgina roots and the go-go sound that's endemic to that DC corridor (and although it flies under the national radar, when I was in college in DC, it wasn't unusual to find go-go 12"s in the Wiz in Georgetown) - undestandably, the Meters rep Louisiana, but Rich pretty much just stayed w/ raw drums on 'Oh! Calcutta' whereas some people from other backgrounds might not just jack that percussive break and loop it unadorned (for a current example, see 9th for soul sample layerin')...

i think its the hand drums in the back ground that rich added that makes it "go-go."

Oh, okay. Still don't sound like go-go to me, but I guess I do hear a little other sh*t goin' on behind the Meters sample. What are hand drums?

• meshmesh 925 Posts

Oh, okay. Still don't sound like go-go to me, but I guess I do hear a little other sh*t goin' on behind the Meters sample. What are hand drums?

just a generic, probably incorrct, umbrella term for all congas, bongos, djembes, etc.

i wasnt sure what he used, but i could tell it was played by hand. or at least it was a sample of someone playing something like that.

Feelin' good feeling great...how are you

wonderful also..thanks for asking