Scot Storch is kinda overated. yeah?

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
I mean, I liked lean back. But shit like "get it poppin"? Trash. Ive heard a few nice cuts from him, but its REAL hit and miss. Most of the time I feel like his shit just comes out kinda generic. Like that jadakiss track. Not terrible I guess, but just not really all that interesting. Actually this dudes best work was probably on the beyonce album. Good stuff, but I dont really get why he's hailed as one of the best hip hop producers out there. hes kind of just a cheaper version of dre. right? He did have a hot beat on the young gunnaz first record though. but that "gangsta party" track he just gave joe buddens? I mean that whole song is a fucking joke.

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    yes scott storch is very overated. peace, stein

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

I never thought he was good but i think just blaze is fairly overated too. Both have the ability to make real tight beats (just much more than scott) but rarely do either do in my opinion.

Just Blaze is not overrated at ALL! Blaze is under appreciated if anything. Just Blaze and Jay Dee and the two sickest producers in hip-hop at the moment. Think of all the Classic Jay-Z/Just Blaze cuts. The Freeway album. All the singles he's done for people are BANANAS! Just Blaze can do dope R&B tracks as well. The joints he builds around a sample are off the hook as well as when he plays tracks on a keyboard. That "Can't Let You Go" track he did for Fabolous was NICE! I'll cheerlead for Just Blaze ALL DAY. I can't wait to hear what kind of joints he starts droppin' on his own label.
    JUST BLAZE FOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    just blaze > scott storch

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I never thought he was good but i think just blaze is fairly overated too. Both have the ability to make real tight beats (just much more than scott) but rarely do either do in my opinion.

Just Blaze is not overrated at ALL! Blaze is under appreciated if anything. Just Blaze and Jay Dee and the two sickest producers in hip-hop at the moment.

this is all i hear from everybody. dudes just not really doing it for me that often. usually his stuff sounds extremely formulaic to me. psa was obviously hype as fuck and i wasnt even trippin off the fact black moon used it first because i like the way he did it better but in general all the stuff sounds generic to me. everyone was flipping over breathe and i thought it was pretty good but nothing mind blowing like people were making it out to be. i realize im in the minority but i had to say it.

thats just crazy. Just blaze is rediculous. In my opinion mabye the only superproducer thats consistantly worth the cash.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Just Blaze is not overrated at ALL! Blaze is under appreciated if anything. Just Blaze and Jay Dee and the two sickest producers in hip-hop at the moment. Think of all the Classic Jay-Z/Just Blaze cuts. The Freeway album. All the singles he's done for people are BANANAS! Just Blaze can do dope R&B tracks as well. The joints he builds around a sample are off the hook as well as when he plays tracks on a keyboard. That "Can't Let You Go" track he did for Fabolous was NICE! I'll cheerlead for Just Blaze ALL DAY. I can't wait to hear what kind of joints he starts droppin' on his own label.
    JUST BLAZE FOLLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Agreed - schooled as a drummer, JBlaze more often than not comes correct - as a quick point of reference, 'Girls, Girls, Girls,' and 'Dear Summer' for Jay-Z spring to mind immediately... He seems to keep his ear to the underground as well, attendin' Beat Society functions, contributin' a beat to the Med album on Stones Throw, etc.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    scott storch is famous because fat joe thinks his name is fun to say.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    taking it back to scott storch, i just think he has become a little predictable. like, i know a scott storch beat when i hear it. i mean, you should strive to create a sound that is unique and recognizable, but you still gotta put some variation up in there. just blaze seems to flip it up a little more, while still maintaining his sound.

but that said, i'm feelin "just a little bit" a little more than a little bit.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I mean, I liked lean back. But shit like "get it poppin"? Trash.

Ive heard a few nice cuts from him, but its REAL hit and miss. Most of the time I feel like his shit just comes out kinda generic. Like that jadakiss track. Not terrible I guess, but just not really all that interesting.

Actually this dudes best work was probably on the beyonce album. Good stuff, but I dont really get why he's hailed as one of the best hip hop producers out there.

hes kind of just a cheaper version of dre. right?

He did have a hot beat on the young gunnaz first record though.

but that "gangsta party" track he just gave joe buddens? I mean that whole song is a fucking joke.

Yeah, that dude is a hack.

Even though I am one of the few people on here to consistently defend the rap you hear on the radio, I have to say that all of the arguments people typically make against that stuff definitely apply to Scott Storch's sh!t.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    jeremy is overrated too
    but walter is not

• yes scott storch is very overated. peace, stein

Roots: The Notice, You Got Me, Silent Treatment, Adrenaline, Grits, Essaywhuman, Im Out Deah, Leonard

Busta Rhymes: Break Ya Neck, Bladow, Truck Volume

Slum Village: Get Live

Mobb Deep: There I go again, Live Foul

Not to mention a slew of shit for NBR (non backpack related) artists, Pink, Beyonce, Genuine, Janet Jackson, 50, Fat Joe, Justin Timberlake, Christina Aguilera (not hot), Eve, R kelly, 2pac, Lil Kim, ETCCCCCCCCCCCcc

oh yeah and he produced Still D.R.E

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Though I'm not a big fan, I just like the fact that half of Storch's beats nowadays sound like some faux-Arabic or faux-Indian flavor, which works just fine for my bhangra DJ gigs. I don't think the hate is deserved; if a dude is making extremely successful beats on a consistent basis over a several-year period, that counts for a lot more than whatever your average Tommy-I'm-In-The-Studio is doing.

That said, I'm feeling Just Blaze a whole lot more, and Rich Harrison is tearing it up by being responsible for some of the hottest r'n'b tracks of the past 2-3 years.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rich Harrison is tearing it up by being responsible for some of the hottest r'n'b tracks of the past 2-3 years.

Co-sign!!!

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    Rich Harrison is tearing it up by being responsible for some of the hottest r'n'b tracks of the past 2-3 years.

Co-sign!!!

yeah no doubt.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

That said, I'm feeling Just Blaze a whole lot more, and Rich Harrison is pigeonholing himself by producing the same type of beat again and again.

Co-sign!!!

yeah no doubt.

Track #2 on Amerie's album is Goodburger!!!!!!!!

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

does dre do his own production anymore?

There are so many rumours out there. He probably pullin' an Andy Warhol.
    Grunts do the work and he yes/no the stuff they present. Who knows?

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Drums: Mel-Man -> check!
    etc.
    etc.

Maybe Dre fancies himself as a Quincy Jones or Gil Evans?

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I dunno I just heard a beat that Storch did for Oowee that MayLay is on and it's fucking FIRE!

etc.
    etc.

He's definitely earned it. Become the finisher/one w/ the final ear.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

etc.
    etc.

He's definitely earned it. Become the finisher/one w/ the final ear.

yeah i can't hate on him too hard.. throw on 'no one can do it better' and all is forgiven

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    just blaze > scott storch

Dre is starting to enter the ranks of Quincy Jones and Gil Evans.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn, i remember when he used to be the keys man in the square roots band, rocking garanimals and looking kinda out of place...but he used to kill it on keys

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

That said, I'm feeling Just Blaze a whole lot more, and Rich Harrison is pigeonholing himself by producing the same type of beat again and again.

B-Sides:

Support your fellow white super-produer. I think Storch definetly has heat, but he ain't a dude I'm geeked to check.

Just Blaze all day everyday. Anyone read the new Elemental, it has a pretty good interview w/ Just Bleezy.

Even though it's great to hear songs on the radio with sample heavy production, I still think Rich Harrison is a hack, he's needs to change it up but he A&R's view him as "irrelevant"

P.Bedroom Producer Von Little Dude

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    A&R's view him as "irrelevant"

A&R'S IS LIKE DAMN WE MESSED UP

• chasechase 767 Posts
    scott played the background for a long time, Im sure he played a whole lota keys on your favorite tracks, credited or not... he deserves a little shine.. it wont last long..

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    scott played the background for a long time, Im sure he played a whole lota keys on your favorite tracks, credited or not... he deserves a little shine.. it wont last long..
    I think that's the sad thing about dude though, now that he's a Name Producer his stuff has gotten a lot more stale than it was when he wasn't getting credit for it.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts

Co-sizzle.
    I was wingman selling breaks to JB up in Baseline last year and considering he didn't know me from Adam (and easily could of been on some "fuck this nobody" shit) he was the straight up coolest cat I've met in a while.
    Gave me a tour of the place, breaking down his mixdowns in Studio A, answering any nerdy studio questions I had. He seemed to really appreciate where he is and what he's got.
    I wish him all the success in the world. Great beats, great guy.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Even though it's great to hear songs on the radio with sample heavy production, I still think Rich Harrison is a hack, he's needs to change it up but he A&R's view him as "irrelevant"

Unfortunately the A&R people do feel he's irrelevant. "One Thing" wasn't released as a single for like what, 3-4 months? A&R people didn't think it was going to do anything. They don't believe in Rich Harrison. The initial plans was for him to do teh entire Amerie album himself, but instead they had to fill it up with Lil Jon's throwaway tracks (that they released/maybe haven't released as a shitty single )... and that really makes me thing about Colombia Records' hesitation to put "Crazy In Love" out as a single. Wasn't there like a 4 month lag for that as well.

Methinks sombody at Sony doesn't like Rich Harrison, even though he makes them hella money.

Still I feel what Ayres is saying about him pigeonholing himself. But didn't he do "Soldier" by Destiny's Child? That's not a typical beat for him.

And me and my man Rehani were talking about Scott the other day. We both go way back with dude, and we're happy he's doing what he's doing. All that hate needs to stop.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts