DJs - Still BPMing records? Stickers?

2»

Comments

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    non-quantized music

what does this mean?

On programs and drum machines there is a quantize function which is like a metronome and ensures your music sticks to a steady beat.

Real bands often speed up/slow down the tempo changing the BPM throughout the song, so beatmatching is pretty worthless.

• non-quantized music

what does this mean?

On programs and drum machines there is a quantize function which is like a metronome and ensures your music sticks to a steady beat.

Real bands often speed up/slow down the tempo changing the BPM throughout the song, so beatmatching is pretty worthless.

didn't know quantize was what you call that

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I've never BPMed my records but I can imagine that it'd be real useful playing out, especially where the monitors are crap and you've got to play some tracks that you wouldn't otherwise listen to.

I'd really like to BPM my 45s just because I don't tend to think of them by BPM like I do with hip-hop.

Stickers are a must though, I sticker a little past 1 o'clock where the needle hits the record.

Same here, although I don't play out anymore so I've stopped marking my 12". That's one thing that I've always wondered about using Microwave, would I miss seeing my stickers at 12 o clock on the control records? Or can you just put a sticker on the control and there's a way to set it so 12 o clock matches the mark you choose? Luddites and broke people need to know these things!

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Ive got a tap button on my mixer (Pioneer DJM 600) I use when playing but I am too lazy to bpm all my Records I play out. I have done a few with stickers and it is useful and makes getting a set together easier.
    Why didn't some dance/hip hop labels just print the bpm on the label , I have quite a few disco 12's that did in the 70's it would save a lot of Frickin' around

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    All the records that I intend on playing out are BPM'd...All of my hiphop, rap, & club music, all of my funk 45s, If it's a RAER LP that I don't want to sticker up I'll put it on the plastic sleeve. BPMing is

Though the vinyl stays at home nowadays, mostly...

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    Same here, although I don't play out anymore so I've stopped marking my 12". That's one thing that I've always wondered about using Microwave, would I miss seeing my stickers at 12 o clock on the control records? Or can you just put a sticker on the control and there's a way to set it so 12 o clock matches the mark you choose? Luddites and broke people need to know these things!

Yes you can, people may argue on how accurate this is, but i think it has to do more with latency in the program 0.03 or something stupid. But you can set the buffer way down, stick on some stickers and rock doubles, there is even a way to set instant doubles for every track you put on in the software.

Peace

• only buy records 95bpm +- 4. that way everything is mixable.

JK

ive never really bpmed records.

if you would like to smooth out your mixing, bpming will help, honestly for a little while i was on some backpack keep it real schitt and thought bpming was for sucker comp djs. but when i started djing i thought all i was gonna do was scratch and i didn't need to concern my self with trivial facts like bpm if i could tear flare orbit.

but bpming is handy. it isn't a sign of weakness. whats worse is a dj who is anti bpms but sounds like shitsauce on the mix.

stickers are nice. they look cool when you spin a record back. i like to mark my first beat with stickers.

one thing i do however is note how much intro is on there if i dont spin the record often and it's anything besides the standard 4/8 bar intro. it helps me keep things tight and moving.

on a tangent. mary jane girls- all night long has a 6 bar intro folks. it annoys me when people don't pay attention to shit like that. trying to blend it like an 8 bar sounds like a shit covered fuckslab.

in conclusion... anything to help you sound better is a plus. only sucker djs hate on people trying to sound good.

*addendum: being able to spin competently with out markers or bpms aka mastering your fundamentals helps you out in the long run. the more you can do without a crib sheet is always a good look.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    All the records that I intend on playing out are BPM'd...All of my hiphop, rap, & club music, all of my funk 45s, If it's a RAER LP that I don't want to sticker up I'll put it on the plastic sleeve. BPMing is

can't cosign this enough.