REP your SITAR reckids.

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
There are a great many good-ass sitar reckids around.

Comments

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

That's really all i got? damn.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    OKKO - Sitar & Electronics! MADNESS!!!

KLAUS DOLDINGER "Sitar Beat" - mother of 'em all! Doldinger LP or the OST original

DAVE PIKE (Kriegel) - Noisy... "Mathar" BEST SITAR FUNK EVER!

DAuner / SIGGI SCHWAB (you need to check the Oimels LP by Wolfgang Dauner for the Sitar!)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Jody Stecher and Kristian Bhatt have a nice one called Rasa. Very folky.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Jazz Raga. Nuff Said

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Shocking Blue and any Don Costa-related LP with that sitar-guitar he introduced

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts

I've been told this is the same record but without the sitars.

I heard the Hendrix Song Book LP is the same too.

This isn't a sitar record but it might as well be.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

this is whats up! dark and evil swedish raer, moodyloopz for years.

I heard the Hendrix Song Book LP is the same too.

This isn't a sitar record but it might as well be.

Animated Egg is supposed to be more stripped down rock/psych. I think some songs are the same, some different and maybe some different songs all together, but I've never had them both at the same time. I'm sure one of those psych album review sites has the exact story.

I've picked up lots of other 101 Strings with Sitar. Blues For Ravi I think is on at least 2 records.

Yep, and thus this:

It's another Animated Egg album, but features half of the tracks, and some covers.

There was a great article in an old fanzine called Breakfast Without Meat[/b], done by Gregg Turkington, and that article got me into the 101 Strings, both the good, the bad, and the shitty. Anyone who thrifts or goes to yard sales and garage sales will see these records, or records on Alshire or Somerset. The article went on to say something to the effect of "unlike big named artists where you have to shell out $300-$500 for one album, you can get the entire 101 Strings catalog for just under $300. Maybe".

But as the story goes, the people behind 101 Strings were making quite a bit off of making albums for a specific market, and that was records in non-musical places, such as drug stores, supermarkets, etc. It was originally something Somerset Records did, and the 101 Strings name was bought out by the Al in Alshire, Al Sherman. He did distribution, and in time he would also have a vinyl manufacturing plant (which is another story altogether).

Anyway, there really was no 101 Strings group, it was just a blanket name placed on whatever "luxurious" music they wanted to release. In the early days, as everyone knows, it was always classical and pop arrangements of well known songs, along with new songs put on there for the hell of it. The "for the hell of it songs" were often the works of the arrangers, who knew that if an album sold, it meant royalties for them. The 60's came, and music changed. So did the 101 Strings. That's why you have albums dedicated to the music of Simon & Garfunkel, but also nice bonus songs called "St. Cathedral Picnic" or "Eat My Bufo Magic".

The whole Astro Sounds story is twisted to begin with, but knowing that the sales of 101 Strings records were dropping, he licensed the Animated Egg, had someone add a few more spacey sounds, and out came the infamous album.

By the early 1970's, records with the 101 Strings name were often different groups on each album, many well known session musicians from Los Angeles. None of the albums were ever credited, but they still sold enough to make more, such as that disco album.

By the early 80's, Sherman decided to pull back and limit things to just classical music and easy listening, although the clutter of crap they came out with in the 1970's are worthy. Alshire came out with a string of very interesting easy listening records on movie themes, broadway themes, etc in the 1970's credited to acoustic guitar virtuosos with fake names. However, those have some nice beats here and there, you just have to know where to look.

And for anyone who wants to pull a RZA and sample some string parts that are unfamiliar, there are over 400 albums to choose from. The whole Soul Of...[/b] series is the ultimate in dentist music, but worthy of some interesting stuff.

Outside of the thrift stigma that the 101 Strings will always have, the original material on the records I have heard are all interesting.

Here's a link with a little more about the 101 Strings/Animated Egg story:
    http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/pages/sherman_interview.htm

Yep, and thus this:

It's another Animated Egg album, but features half of the tracks, and some covers.

There was a great article in an old fanzine called Breakfast Without Meat[/b], done by Gregg Turkington, and that article got me into the 101 Strings, both the good, the bad, and the shitty. Anyone who thrifts or goes to yard sales and garage sales will see these records, or records on Alshire or Somerset. The article went on to say something to the effect of "unlike big named artists where you have to shell out $300-$500 for one album, you can get the entire 101 Strings catalog for just under $300. Maybe".

But as the story goes, the people behind 101 Strings were making quite a bit off of making albums for a specific market, and that was records in non-musical places, such as drug stores, supermarkets, etc. It was originally something Somerset Records did, and the 101 Strings name was bought out by the Al in Alshire, Al Sherman. He did distribution, and in time he would also have a vinyl manufacturing plant (which is another story altogether).

Anyway, there really was no 101 Strings group, it was just a blanket name placed on whatever "luxurious" music they wanted to release. In the early days, as everyone knows, it was always classical and pop arrangements of well known songs, along with new songs put on there for the hell of it. The "for the hell of it songs" were often the works of the arrangers, who knew that if an album sold, it meant royalties for them. The 60's came, and music changed. So did the 101 Strings. That's why you have albums dedicated to the music of Simon & Garfunkel, but also nice bonus songs called "St. Cathedral Picnic" or "Eat My Bufo Magic".

The whole Astro Sounds story is twisted to begin with, but knowing that the sales of 101 Strings records were dropping, he licensed the Animated Egg, had someone add a few more spacey sounds, and out came the infamous album.

By the early 1970's, records with the 101 Strings name were often different groups on each album, many well known session musicians from Los Angeles. None of the albums were ever credited, but they still sold enough to make more, such as that disco album.

By the early 80's, Sherman decided to pull back and limit things to just classical music and easy listening, although the clutter of crap they came out with in the 1970's are worthy. Alshire came out with a string of very interesting easy listening records on movie themes, broadway themes, etc in the 1970's credited to acoustic guitar virtuosos with fake names. However, those have some nice beats here and there, you just have to know where to look.

And for anyone who wants to pull a RZA and sample some string parts that are unfamiliar, there are over 400 albums to choose from. The whole Soul Of...[/b] series is the ultimate in dentist music, but worthy of some interesting stuff.

Outside of the thrift stigma that the 101 Strings will always have, the original material on the records I have heard are all interesting.

Here's a link with a little more about the 101 Strings/Animated Egg story:
    http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/pages/sherman_interview.htm

John do find the same good songs turn up on different 101 Strings?

I can recommend a few:
    Million Sellers From Movies has a decent version of Shaft for your big band blaxplotation themes collection.

Sounds Of Today
    Todays Sounds I think these have overlapping titles. Both have sitar I think.

Plays Hits Written By The Beatles. Forget the Beatles cuts, the original have the psych sitars.

Million Selling Hits Composed By Jim Webb And Burt Bacharach Has Look Of Love

Plays Hits Made Famous By Gladys Knight And Stevie Wonder I like the string version of Living For The City, plus it has that girl on the cover.

Soul Hits Features Les Baxtor

Je T'aime

Dan

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Cuntry electric sitar rules:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    -Joe South
    -The Delfonics
    -The Box Tops
    These artists had electric Coral sitar for DAYS.

- B.J. Thomas ("Hooked On A Feeling," "The Eyes Of A New York Woman")

- Jackie Gleason's sitar album, which is utter shite; all it is is just his usual elevator music, but with a sitar added

And Johmbolaya - ever heard those X-rated singles that the 101 Strings did? Featuring amusingly unsexy voiceovers from Bebe Bardon, who moaned, sighed, panted, cussed like an angry eight-year-old and expected certain listeners to get a woody from it...

And Johmbolaya - ever heard those X-rated singles that the 101 Strings did? Featuring amusingly unsexy voiceovers from Bebe Bardon, who moaned, sighed, panted, cussed like an angry eight-year-old and expected certain listeners to get a woody from it...

Read about it, but have never seen or heard any of them.

Read about it, but have never seen or heard any of them.

They are from their Je T'ami record which has a nice gatefold cover.

• BuddahBuddah 23 Posts
    Here's one:

With a little mp3: http://dubt.250free.com/bolly.mp3

Here's one:

With a little mp3: http://dubt.250free.com/bolly.mp3

That's a great cover. Where's Kim Thayil, anyway?