Halifax Strut

Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I'm going to Halifax for a couple days next week. Isn't there someone on the board who lives there? I've never been before, but I'm more interested in oysters than in records. Any strutter recommendations are appreciated.

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

I strongly recommend a trip to take the bracing waters at Scarborough, although a bit chilly at this time of year. Those cold North winds blowing in from Sweden and Norway can take your breath away.

Leeds is good.

Nova Scotia it ain't.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I'm going to Halifax for a couple days next week. Isn't there someone on the board who lives there? I've never been before, but I'm more interested in oysters than in records. Any strutter recommendations are appreciated.

I mentioned being from Nova Scotia back in the Rep Your Guns thread, and I did my undergrad at Dal. I left 7 years ago, but I visit Halifax a couple times a year. So some of my knowledge is dated, but some seems to stand up.

McKelvie's on the waterfront has the biggest reputation for seafood in town. I've never been, so I can't vouch for the atmosphere, but I'll gamble large that the food's right. www.mckelvies.com

More-than-adequate sushi at Doraku on Dresden Row, with a charmingly modest entrance through a very narrow alley. Don't expect great sushi in Halifax.

Vegetarian/vegan at Satisfaction Feast on Grafton Street is quiet and unassuming, and not the kind of place where they equate "tasting healthy" with "tasting good".

Aging hipsteurs hang out at Economy Shoe Shop on Argyle. It's a cool environment with good food. Check out the Seahorse Tavern downstairs too.

Don't worry about good pizza, there isn't any. Although I hear Bubbles Mansion on Prince, owned by Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys, sells "Pictou County Pizza". If they got it right-Bubbles is from Pictou County-it will be on tight.

If you can be more specific about what you're looking for, I'll see if I can come up with anything else. Fine dining? Low budget alternatives? Club nights?

Thanks! Fine dining advise is definitely welcome. And ok, if you know any record spots...

• Just a side note for you on Nova Scotia, they have the biggest tide changes in the world on the bay of fundy, the difference is about 15 meters which is 5 times higher than the rest of the Atlantic coast. I'm gonna have to see this one day.

Just a side note for you on Nova Scotia, they have the biggest tide changes in the world on the bay of fundy, the difference is about 15 meters which is 5 times higher than the rest of the Atlantic coast. I'm gonna have to see this one day.

I'm in New Brunswick at the moment, which is on the other side of the Bay of Fundy. When it's not the dead of winter, I visit the town of Alma, which is on the Fundy coast, for lobster and "the world's best sticky buns". The tides really are astounding, and I suspect the ocean here is the most uninviting body of water you can find outside of the very far north and south.

Sweet! I appreciate your help. The trip is pure pleasure; I figure I can't leave the Maritimes without seeing Halifax and so now's the time.