Claim you invented a word or phrase

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Go ahead.Claim you invented a word or phrase now in widespread usage.I'll start you off:I reckon I introduced the word 'caned', meaning 'drunk', in London, 1984.Now I hear it everywhere.Anyone who says otherwise is a vexatious, unmitigated liar.

Comments

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I invented the phrase "cutting a sonorous swath" a couple of weeks ago in a work publication, but I don't think it's really catching on.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I invented the phrase "cutting a sonorous swath" a couple of weeks ago in a work publication, but I don't think it's really catching on.

maybe

well, if it does catch on, that's immortality right there.

HarveyCanal claims 'Justified Hip Hop'.
    As opposed to Credible Hip Hop, which is a desperate, judgement-laden lameness which will never find its way into a reputable dictionary.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I really want to contribute something to this thraed, but unfortunately I got nothing. I can't even concoct a convincing story about how I invented something.

Well, there's this: I may not have invented the phrase "sucks donkey nuts" (as in, "That new Larry the Cable guy movie sucks donkey nuts) but I feel that I have done a lot to try to popularize it. Variations include "sucks donkey balls," "sucks big donkey nuts," and "sucks big donkey balls."

• "the _______ from hell"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    my high-school friend and I believe we invented the word blumpkin, but I can't be 100% sure of this.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "the _______ from hell"
    okay richard lewis.

I just invented the word "guisis".

pronounced gweeesis

like gweeesis chwist? An Elmer Fuddism perhaps

No-one want to claim BAPES or FOLK FUNK or RIVET HEAD?
    or even SKULLF**K?

• I invented 'conosultant,' as a way to describe someone giving you wine/dining advice.

My wife's recent malapropism of, 'double-edged whammy,' has really caught on amongst family and friends.

conosultant is good indeed

a quasi portmanteau word.

I'm going to introduce that in my neck of the woods and try to get worldwide acceptance. When the OED come knocking I will point them to this forum as the first recorded instance.
    Immortality looms for you. REJOICE!!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Someone here invented the word "Rock-A-Logic" which is when you don't agree with something but can't argue it on merit because it's correct.

Someone needs to submit this to Wiki.

My wife's recent malapropism of, 'double-edged whammy,' has really caught on amongst family and friends.

Oh my god, I love that. Permission, to propagate in the greater Chicagoland area, sir.

pronounced gweeesis

Yes. It refers specifically to verb606's thesis on the nature of guido-hood and any attendant natural laws that are discovered therein.

• A few years ago, my brother came up with the word "grump" which is to take a dump after grubbing. A bunch of our friends and cousins still use this word today.

my high-school friend and I believe we invented the word blumpkin, but I can't be 100% sure of this.

what be a blumpkin?
    a blue pumpkin.... naah, you're havin' me on

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Someone here invented the word "Rock-A-Logic" which is when you don't agree with something but can't argue it on merit because it's correct.

Someone needs to submit this to Wiki.

Ahem, I believe "someone" would be me.

Gimme my props!

what be a blumpkin?
    a blue pumpkin.... naah, you're havin' me on

It's fellatio received whilst defecating on the toilet.

• Educatering: A DJ-specific term I came up with to describe catering to the crowd--giving them songs that they know--and then slipping in something similar but that they don't know--educating. Something I do all the time.

I also say "chew your food" instead of "slow your roll."

I invented 'conosultant,' as a way to describe someone giving you wine/dining advice.

I just invented the phrase "the double-edged whammy from hell". Word to KVH.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Can't really claim "carpetbaggeur", so I'll go with "club compliant".

It's fellatio received whilst defecating on the toilet.

I thought it was just my friend Steve and his policewoman girlfriend/f**kbuddy who did that....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Back in college, I had my friend convinced that I came up with "Taj MaTeeter" (a reference to those extra-large Harris Teeter grocery stores).

• I invented the term "half-time" to refer to a rent-a-cop. like instead of "one time."

• 'double-edged whammy,'

• My wife's recent malapropism of, 'double-edged whammy,' has really caught on amongst family and friends.

Oh my god, I love that. Permission, to propagate in the greater Chicagoland area, sir.

By all means...I can't wait until my wife ends up on the phone with her friend in Chicago, and it gets back to her.

We should make a concerted effort to spread all of these.

• I invented the term "half-time" to refer to a rent-a-cop. like instead of "one time."

love that.

By the same token, would they be '2-5'?

• fucktard

and the_[/b]mack

i think my friend came up with balloon knot

By all means...I can't wait until my wife ends up on the phone with her friend in Chicago, and it gets back to her.

That is now my mission. Thank you, sir. Is your wife's friend in the city? If so, it may take less time to spread. I live in the city, so if she's burbin' it, it will take a while.

• My wife's recent malapropism of, 'double-edged whammy,' has really caught on amongst family and friends.

That is now my mission. Thank you, sir. Is your wife's friend in the city? If so, it may take less time to spread. I live in the city, so if she's burbin' it, it will take a while.

She and her husband are both livin' and workin' in the city.

It is on...Lexiconical Soulstrut Study.