A Puffy in the Sun (TV-related)

verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
I came in late at night from class to catch the last couple of minutes of Sean Comb's presentation of "A Raisin in the Sun." I saw the commercials for it and thought, "hmm, someone cast Puffy and he's trying to get his acting on, OK." Then i saw he was the executive producer and thought "Oh no, vanity project. NAGL." My wife watched the whole thing and said he was quite good. The last scene I saw was decent. He seemed believable in the role. Evidently he's been doing it on Broadway for a minute. Side note: I'm glad he's using his real name for acting endeavors. I wish more rappers who have a real acting career would do that. (I'm looking at you, Mos Def)Did anyone else see it? What did yall think?

Comments

• I didn't see it or care about it, but i saw the ratings were through the roof.

• Oprah approved. That's enough to get you highest rated show of the night.

Puffy was in Monster's Ball too. I don't remember him being bad or anything. That's the tough thing for genre jumping artists because you can't erase the "uh uh, I thought I told you that we won't stop" shuffle dance Puff from your mind and see him just as the character. I didn't see it, but he could be a good actor.

I think he's funny on Making The Band. He's out of his mind. He strolls in with the ugliest animal fur jacket ever and says "ya'll sound like some fake ass Jodeci."

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I saw it, and it was actually one of my favorite plays my freshman year in high school.

This play was/is part of a movement, so there has to be a level of respect for those who are actually exposing this playwright (Puffy, Rashad, etc). It was kind of hard to take Puffy seriously some of the time, but I mean his character was all about the "benjamins", anyways.

And just cause it's Oprah approved doesnt exactly make it cheesy or horrible. I stand by the queen with no shame at all

Phylicia Rashad has that look that always makes her a character strong and protective, but mysterious. She is such an amazing woman, that isn't craving limelight which get 5 stars in my book. And talented...for years!!! I miss the Cosby's...

I also never knew that Lorraine Hansbery was a lesbian as well..a movement within a movement.

In other words, I ride for a Raisin in the Sun.

• I wish more rappers who have a real acting career would do that. (I'm looking at you, Mos Def)

i personally appreciate when rappers use the names we all know them by instead of selling out. (i'm looking at you will smith) puffy has always straddled that line though. i knew him as sean "puffy" combs before puff daddy, p-diddy or whatever else he calls himself these days.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I thought this production of A Raisin In The Sun was very well done.

A contemporary twist on a classic.

It was good see Puffy step up to the plate and turn in a genuine performance, although it was a little challenging taking him seriously sometimes because his often-silly persona is hard to muffle completely.

Walter Lee made me proud.

Well worth the 3 hours.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i enjoyed puffy's acting performance in Made.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I wish more rappers who have a real acting career would do that. (I'm looking at you, Mos Def)

i personally appreciate when rappers use the names we all know them by instead of selling out. (i'm looking at you will smith) puffy has always straddled that line though. i knew him as sean "puffy" combs before puff daddy, p-diddy or whatever else he calls himself these days.

I don't know. I think that when you reach the point where you're known more for your film work than your rapping, you should use your real name, especially if you have a goofy-ass name like Mos Def. You don't have to use your government name, but at least use a normal pseudonym. Those who know he's an MC will always know he's an MC. Those who don't, forget 'em. I'll let Ice Cube slide mainly because he does almost all light comedies and doesn't seem to be looking to be taken seriously as an actor. But if you're fairly serious actor like Mos it just looks corny when your silly rap name is alongside actual actors' names. I would cringe if I saw an ad for the Pursuit of Happyness starring the Fresh Prince.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Puffy Sucked... maybe it was me but I could not take him seriously at all.

This version made me want to view the original.

The real actors were great.

• I wish more rappers who have a real acting career would do that. (I'm looking at you, Mos Def)

I don't know. I think that when you reach the point where you're known more for your film work than your rapping, you should use your real name, especially if you have a goofy-ass name like Mos Def. You don't have to use your government name, but at least use a normal pseudonym. Those who know he's an MC will always know he's an MC. Those who don't, forget 'em. I'll let Ice Cube slide mainly because he does almost all light comedies and doesn't seem to be looking to be taken seriously as an actor. But if you're fairly serious actor like Mos it just looks corny when your silly rap name is alongside actual actors' names. I would cringe if I saw an ad for the Pursuit of Happyness starring the Fresh Prince.

yeah, i hear you.... though maybe they do this because "starring snoop dogg" would get more attention than "starring calvin broadus." but whatever, i couldn't possibly care less either way as long as they can act.