Etta James Says Beyonce Is "Too Bourgeois"...

Comments

• i wonder who is going to play johnny guitar watson.

Probably nobody. Watson was on Chess, but none of his important sides were recorded there.

I think Kyle Massey should play Pigmeat Markham.

• I think Kyle Massey should play Pigmeat Markham.

...and Tyler Perry as Moms Mabley.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    If that was her really singing in Ray, I would say Regina King. She is great to watch, definitely has the strength and is so under-used as the staple girlfriend/ wife.

I think the looks can be secondary, I mean look at Sissy Spacek in Coal Miner's Daughter...I think she pulled it off even though her plain-Jane washed-out red hair looks are the exact opposite to Loretta Lynn's darker, stronger features.

And I think once you lop off that hair and dye it blond, the transformation will be huge!

There's Taraji Henson, too.

Too bad Nell Carter isn't young enough!

• Too bad Nell Carter isn't young enough!

and dead.

Too bad Nell Carter isn't young enough!

and dead.

And dead.

and dead.

And dead.

Well, here's a lady who is still young and (most importantly) still living: former American Idol contestant (winner?) Kim Locke. Dunno if she can act, but she looks more like Etta than anybody else mentioned in this thread. Just give her a blonde wig and she's good to go.

and dead.

And dead.

Well, here's a lady who is still young and (most importantly) still living: former American Idol contestant (winner?) Kim Locke. Dunno if she can act, but she looks more like Etta than anybody else mentioned in this thread. Just give her a blonde wig and she's good to go.

Good call!

• Beyonce cant pull this shit off:

lol - so much emphasis on people being alive!

what do you think of her singing? does she have the rough edge needed? Can't say I recall her...but her looks are definitely the closest out of all the other gals.

• Well, here's a lady who is still young and (most importantly) still living: former American Idol contestant (winner?) Kim Locke. Dunno if she can act, but she looks more like Etta than anybody else mentioned in this thread. Just give her a blonde wig and she's good to go.

what do you think of her singing? does she have the rough edge needed? Can't say I recall her...but her looks are definitely the closest out of all the other gals.

Never heard her sing, but the lady looks so damned FINE that any excuse to get her back in the limelight is cool with me!

Never heard her sing[/b], but the lady looks so damned FINE that any excuse to get her back in the limelight is cool with me!

lmao - then the list of possibilities just got waaay bigger

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Beyonce cant pull this shit off:

• Well, here's a lady who is still young and (most importantly) still living: former American Idol contestant (winner?) Kim Locke. Dunno if she can act, but she looks more like Etta than anybody else mentioned in this thread. Just give her a blonde wig and she's good to go.

Never heard her sing[/b], but the lady looks so damned FINE that any excuse to get her back in the limelight is cool with me!

no, Countess Bassie, THIS is the part you shoulda boldfaced: the lady looks so damned FINE[/b]

now, im not gonna backtrack to amazon.com just to hear a few soundclips of locke's album(s), but I'm sure that if etta worked with her for a month, she might get the nuances down. like you implied, if Sissy Spacek can get over by ATTEMPTING to look like Loretta Lynn, then Kim Locke can tell the story by ALMOST sounding like etta james

former American Idol contestant (winner?) Kim Locke.

no, Countess Bassie, THIS is the part you shoulda boldfaced: the lady looks so damned FINE[/b]

now, im not gonna backtrack to amazon.com just to hear a few soundclips of locke's album(s), but I'm sure that if etta worked with her for a month, she might get the nuances down. like you implied, if Sissy Spacek can get over by ATTEMPTING to look like Loretta Lynn, then Kim Locke can tell the story by ALMOST sounding like etta james

Yes, perhaps you are right...given that At Last is to American Idol what Stairway to Heaven is to guitar stores, I am sure Ms. Locke is more than halfway there.

I've never listened to much Etta James and I'm getting the rep of being a Beyonce hater, but good god what the fuck is Beyonce thinking that she's even on the same planet as Etta?!

• i was just playing this oldies cd and her "id rather go blind" came on and these 2 teenage kids told me "DAMN FOOL THAT SHIT IS HARD".

and you know what, there are many adjectives that one could use to describe both etta james and beyonce, but nobody is calling beyonce "hard". and for kids to recognize that shit is what is up.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    i was just playing this oldies cd and her "id rather go blind" came on and these 2 teenage kids told me "DAMN FOOL THAT SHIT IS HARD".

and you know what, there are many adjectives that one could use to describe both etta james and beyonce, but nobody is calling beyonce "hard". and for kids to recognize that shit is what is up.

I heard her once in a basement with a pick up band. She just killed it with I'd Rather Go Blind. The room was going nuts. Leo Necotelli, Danny Groelnick and some Slam Hound Hunters. Bumpershoot '84, same week I met my wife.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Very good call Pickwick. She can sing. She's no sanger but she can sing.

good god what the fuck is Beyonce thinking that she's even on the same planet as Etta?!

x infinity

Very good call Pickwick. She can sing. She's no sanger but she can sing.

Alright then. I say SStrut makes its own Etta James bio-pic. We got our Etta, we can easily cast the rest - maybe there are some contenders right there among us - lol.

There is enough film talent and music knowledge here to fill in all the other requirements.

Now, who's got the $$$ ???

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

After I win the lottery and finish my thesis on New Jersey guidos, I'll be happy to fund this project.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

After I win the lottery and finish my thesis on New Jersey guidos, I'll be happy to fund this project.

I eagerly await your finished guisis.

• Now, who's got the $$$ ???

Same person who's got the Eddie Kendricks chair?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't think the movie in question is an Etta James bio pic. sounds like it's a Leonard Chess bio pic or a Chess Records bio pic. Etta will probably be on the screen for 20 secs. Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters, Bo Diddly will most likely fill the screen most of the time I would think. We should still make an Etta James bio pic.

Doesn't matter if the actor or actress looks or sounds like Etta James, the important thing is being able to act.

Did you see this movie^?

Did you see this movie^?

No, but would like to. With artists I really like, I'd almost rather not see these bio-pics because part of the attraction to the music and personality is that it is your interpretation, they and their music are yours (for lack of a better way of putting it). With books, it's different - always books are different - because it is factual and even if there are editorial remarks and whatnot, it never takes the same artistic license as movies do. James is definitely a favourite and I find the Beyonce choice so ridiculous that I can't help but react. I am scared, I mean I am absolutely dreading the day some assh*le with a lot of money and no taste or knowledge or heart decides to make a Nina Simone bio-pic.

Doesn't matter if the actor or actress looks or sounds like Etta James, the important thing is being able to act.

Yea, it's a fine art playing a real person. Everyone was creaming their jeans over Jamie Foxx in Ray and to me, dude was just straight mimicing. There was no real warmth or characterization brought to the man and musician behind those glasses. Let me see you give someone some dimension, give me insight, let me see something I can't see for myself watching interviews, performances, various footage through the years, you know? Foxx brought absolutely nothing new to the screen.

Foxx brought absolutely nothing new to the screen.

Compared to whom?

Compared to whom?

As in who could have played a better Ray or who played someone else really well?

I don't know the answer to playing Ray. Can't say I've given it any thought. I thought the whole movie stank so I didn't really consider it.

As far as folks playing other people, recently, I thought Hoffman gave Capote a pretty good turn.

Compared to whom?

As in who could have played a better Ray or who played someone else really well?

It sounded like you saw someone else would did a better job.

Compared to whom?

It sounded like you saw someone else would did a better job.

yea, Ray Charles.

or