what happen to that bidder for record rama

shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Friday, February 22, 2008By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-GazetteThe latest development in the auction of the Record Rama collection is that the high bidder known as "jopsoup" is now listed as no longer a registered user of eBay.It's not clear what that could mean for the tentative sale of the some 3 million LPs, 45s, CDs, cassettes and 8 tracks, deemed by owner/seller Paul Mawhinney as "the World's Largest Music Collection.''On Thursday, jopsoup put in a bid of $3,002,500 for the collection, housed in Mawhinney's Ross store. J. Paul Henderson, the agent for Mawhinney, was trying to track down the bidder today.The other development is that the rare Rolling Stones collection Mawhinney is claiming to be worth $10,000 can be purchased on eBay for $599.Scott Mervis can be reached at [email]smervis@post-gazette.com[/email] or 412-263-2576.First published on February 22, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Comments

• The other development is that the rare Rolling Stones collection Mawhinney is claiming to be worth $10,000 can be purchased on eBay for $599.

This is a development - you mean this collection is over-valued???

• The other development is that the rare Rolling Stones collection Mawhinney is claiming to be worth $10,000 can be purchased on eBay for $599.

How can this be? When he has inspected each with a high powered magnifying glass?

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    1 Million LP's purchased for $1.00 a piece.
    500K Firestone Christmas albums
    500K Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass albums
    500K Leo Sayer albums
    and 500K Loggins and Messina albums.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    500K Leo Sayer albums

ME FAIL MATH? THAT EQUALS UNPOSSIBLE!

• i bet he would actually be able to sell if he stripped out all the useless doubles, (which would probably drop the overall quantity by like %70), and started it at like $10K. its funny how he devotes countless hours of his life working on cataloging it, but then wont take a few weeks to break it down into realistically sellable chunks. as for the history angle, its already covered. hasnt he ever heard of michael ochs? he cant have it both ways - are you paying for your med bills or preserving history? these 2 disparate goals cannot be jointly reached.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    500K Leo Sayer albums

Half of one, two dozen of another.

500K Leo Sayer albums

Does that not add up to 3 million LPS?

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    500K Leo Sayer albums

Half of one, two dozen of another.

BEST. GRAMLEN. EVA.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Its not 3 million lps...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Friday, February 22, 2008
    By Scott Mervis, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    The latest development in the auction of the Record Rama collection is that the high bidder known as "jopsoup" is now listed as no longer a registered user of eBay.

It's not clear what that could mean for the tentative sale of the some 3 million LPs, 45s, CDs, cassettes and 8 tracks, deemed by owner/seller Paul Mawhinney as "the World's Largest Music Collection.''

On Thursday, jopsoup put in a bid of $3,002,500 for the collection, housed in Mawhinney's Ross store. J. Paul Henderson, the agent for Mawhinney, was trying to track down the bidder today.

The other development is that the rare Rolling Stones collection Mawhinney is claiming to be worth $10,000 can be purchased on eBay for $599.

Scott Mervis can be reached at [email]smervis@post-gazette.com[/email] or 412-263-2576.
    First published on February 22, 2008 at 2:21 pm

Geeze what a freakin' suprise. Shades of Velvet underground Acetate.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The other development is that the rare Rolling Stones collection Mawhinney is claiming to be worth $10,000 can be purchased on eBay for $599.

You will recall I was questioning the existance of any Stones lp being worth 10,000.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

You will recall I was questioning the existance of any Stones lp being worth 10,000.

does this count? who knows - coulda been a fluke
    http://popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=320104638453

Its not 3 million lps...

It's not clear what that could mean for the tentative sale of the some 3 million LPs

I would guess a fluke. Might be a very valuable 45 sleeve, that is way too much money for any thing Stones.

This is not the record Rusty claims to own, his is an lp.

• Record Rama bidder turns out to be a fraud
    Saturday, February 23, 2008
    The $3 million winning bid for the Record Rama collection on eBay was a fraud, according to J. Paul Henderson, agent for the sale.

Mr. Henderson said he got a call from an eBay executive last night explaining that the "jopsoup" bid was not legitimate and the account has been suspended.

The Irish man with that screen name says he didn't even know about the bid until after the fact.

"Jopsoup" told the eBay executive that he was a victim of identity theft.

"He claims he went to an Internet cafe and got the e-mail with the invoice from us and wondered 'what the hell is this?' " Mr. Henderson said.

Mr. Henderson says he and owner Paul Mawhinney plan to re-list the collection and run the auction in a more "semi-private" fashion with screened bidders.

They also have a few private collectors coming into town who will examine the collection of 3 million albums and CDs, cassettes and 8 tracks.

• Record Rama bidder turns out to be a fraud
    Saturday, February 23, 2008
    The $3 million winning bid for the Record Rama collection on eBay was a fraud, according to J. Paul Henderson, agent for the sale.

Mr. Henderson said he got a call from an eBay executive last night explaining that the "jopsoup" bid was not legitimate and the account has been suspended.

The Irish man with that screen name says he didn't even know about the bid until after the fact.

"Jopsoup" told the eBay executive that he was a victim of identity theft.

"He claims he went to an Internet cafe and got the e-mail with the invoice from us and wondered 'what the hell is this?' " Mr. Henderson said.

Mr. Henderson says he and owner Paul Mawhinney plan to re-list the collection and run the auction in a more "semi-private" fashion with screened bidders.

They also have a few private collectors coming into town who will examine the collection of 3 million albums for two minutes, then shake their heads and walk away wondering what the hell Mr. Henderson was thinking keeping all those dollar terds.[/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How did a "Stones collection" worth $10,000
    become a "Stones LP" worth $10,000 over the course
    of 3 posts in 1 Soul Strut thread?

How did a "Stones collection" worth $10,000
    become a "Stones LP" worth $10,000 over the course
    of 3 posts in 1 Soul Strut thread?

In either the auction, or his site, there is a picture of him holding a record with the caption, Rusty "holding a Rolling Stones record worth $10,000".

• From all of the information I have read about this guy and his collection I hope he doesn't sell it for more than a 100k.

The fact that he supposedly could have sold it like 9 years ago for 28 million and he didn't because he was greedy and he thinks it is worth 50 million is just rediculous. Maybe this dude has Asperger's like has been mentioned about other collectors in Paycheck's thread.

The guy just seems like too big of a tool to get what he wants. From his rediculous selling and pricing tactics to his name dropping of people who want to keep the music alive. I have no sympathy for people who try to get over on others.

Then there is a part of me that feels bad for dude with his handicaps but then I remember how people said he priced dollar records at hundreds of dollars because they were old and I'm like nah fuck 'em.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    You run into this everyday. In all the years I was buying records and collections. It seemed like a 50-50 split between people who thought their records were worth 100 times what they were really worth and people who were just like "I need to just get rid of it. Offer me anything fair"

If this dude ever got offered anything between 150-250 G's he should take it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I would guess a fluke. Might be a very valuable 45 sleeve, that is way too much money for any thing Stones.

This is not the record Rusty claims to own, his is an lp.

This is probably the most $$ Stones record - withdrawn sleeve. Don't know if it always goes that high but the price doesn't surprise me.

If the LP in question is the promo comp I'm thinking of I believe its value is more like three digits...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    oooops almost forgot

Talked to a guy who saw the record rama collection earlier this year. Nowhere near 3 million records. The $10,000 Stones record was a greatest hits collection that was never commercially released, worth about $1,000. At one time, as someone has said, he had quantity of good rare 70s records. All the good stuff has been sold down to the last copy. Meanwhile he has 100-200 or more copies of every worthless dollar bin record you can think of. The true value of these records, in his mind, comes from the fact that he owns them.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    slightly off topic, but anyone that pays $1000 for a greatest hits album should be punched in the throat.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    . At one time, as someone has said, he had quantity of good rare 70s records.

dan, my impression was that this herb didnt sell anything unless he had triples. does that mean he still has 70sraerdoubles?

. At one time, as someone has said, he had quantity of good rare 70s records.

dan, my impression was that this herb didnt sell anything unless he had triples. does that mean he still has 70sraerdoubles?

My friend who was there earlier this year was allowed to buy anything down to 1. He said it was picked over good. All the big time soul dealers had already gotten the big time soul records. 300 big time soul records for 3,000,000.00 today.