DJ Specific slang terms?

DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Any one know any more slang related to DJing?Trainwreck: when a beat mix goes wrong.Trainspotting: Craning your neck in to the booth the look at the label of the record playing (Microwave ruined this, they'll just look at your laptop screen!)Table hog: the DJ who just won't give up the decks even though his time is up.Plaese to add on

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Any one know any more slang related to DJing?

Trainwreck: when a beat mix goes wrong.

I always thought of this as even worse, like when someone bumps the table and a needle goes careening off the vinyl.

"Shoes in a dryer" - Two horribly mismatched drums that are completely out of synch and sound like...shoes in a dryer.

• Cover-up

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Kraftwerk Quickie - When the DJ puts on Trans Europe Express and proceeds to get brain in the bathroom.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Kraftwerk Quickie - When the DJ puts on Trans Europe Express and proceeds to get brain in the bathroom.

nice. I've used that to take a piss but....

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Some guys at the record store I worked used to refer to certain club house cuts as "Pots and Pans," which I took to mean it was like noisy, non-melodic hard-house that sounded like someone banging on pots and pans. One dude would ask the club buyer "What's this one like?" and the buyer would just give a gas face and say "Pots and Pans."

• Dildo- Microwave

• this is more record nerd than dj, but one of my favorites is

Bacon and Eggs - a record that's all beat up and sounds like someone's sizzling up some breakfast when you play it.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    this is more record nerd than dj, but one of my favorites is

Bacon and Eggs - a record that's all beat up and sounds like someone's sizzling up some breakfast when you play it.

a similar nerdism is 'rice crispies' - lots of snap, crackle and pop

• this is more record nerd than dj, but one of my favorites is

i've heard those referred to as "love bites" as well.

• Dildo- Microwave

I've heard this one a used a few times and I don't get it.
    Please define or tell me a story to go with the terminology for I am quite curious.

• Options
    "Put a couple burritos in the microwave"

Deejay OM talking about Microwave users mixing mp3s.

Dildo- Microwave

I've heard this one a used a few times and I don't get it.
    Please define or tell me a story to go with the terminology for I am quite curious.

Penis is to dildo

as

Baking is to microwaving

as

Djing records is to Serato

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    this is more record nerd than dj, but one of my favorites is

i've heard those referred to as "love bites" as well.

the sound of heavily used parts of records for jugglin is also called "wild fire" over here...

• That Tonight - the one girl that stays making direct eye contact with you in the booth while dancing the whole night

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    "checking emails" - looking at your sayrahtoe playlist

• cue burn

• Options
    I really want to make Radio Shaq happen.

Radio Shaq-n-a guerrilla requester."Here comes Radio Shaq with his Tears For Fears request."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Radio Shaq

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

I can't be the only one who uses "piss record" to describe a long cut that you throw on when you need to go take a piss.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    NRR - piss shiver.

when you get a spontaneous shudder through your body while taking a piss. A friend of mine has a theory that women do not get piss shivers...

• crate whore - a female DJ friend of mine used to used this term to describe anyone helping her with her crates.
    example - "I really need a "crate whore tonight."

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    NRR - piss shiver.

when you get a spontaneous shudder through your body while taking a piss. A friend of mine has a theory that women do not get piss shivers...

Because of this phenomeonon, we used to simply refer to piss ASW shiver. As in "just going for a shiver mate"

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

I can't be the only one who uses "piss record" to describe a long cut that you throw on when you need to go take a piss.

I use it too.

• Dick Beaters - (adj.) The hands of unwanted or unknown folks who think they are cool enough to just walk up to your crates or bags and start flipping through.

example -
    THEM: "Hey, Play this next."
    YOU: "GET YOUR Frickin' DICKBEATERS OFF MY RECORDS. YOU DO NOT KNOW ME."

PS - Can we get this lame "frickin" thing lifted? I think we're all (physically) old enough to experience the grown talk.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    PS - Can we get this lame "frickin" thing lifted? I think we're all (physically) old enough to experience the grown talk.

yeah, Raj and co, can you throw us all a frickin' bone?

Dick Beaters - (adj.)

Actually, that would be a fucking noun.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    Dick Beaters - (adj.)

how did you do that? ahh, quoting reveals all.
    I tip my hat to you sir.

Dick Beaters - (adj.)

how did you do that? ahh, quoting reveals all.
    I tip my hat to you sir.

• Cussers - dude's "in the clurb" who feel the need to say fucki[/b]ng and other vulgar words. I keep some
    Heavy D in my bag just for these dudes. Then I hit em with "radio edits only dawg, a child might
    walk by the club I ain't having that on my conscience."

Cheese cloths - dude's with improper gear who don't make it past the front door. No sneakers dawg.

Dildo juicers - chicks who spill drinks near your microwave box

Bathroom Bob - the dude who offers to "get on" and "dj" if you "need" to "take" a "bath room" "break."

Bathroom Becky - chick who makes a request and when you say no takes a dump on your records. This one is only funny in retrospect.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Bathroom Becky - chick who makes a request and when you say no takes a dump on your records. This one is only funny in retrospect.

This actually happened?