USA Visit - Activity suggestions/Advice??

holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
OK, so it looks like I might be able to get back to the US this year, probably late Sept/early Oct for 2 weeks. I want to check out some of the South this time (you know, "land where the blues began" yadda yadda yadda etc.). I have a friend somewhere in Texas (south west) so I'll probably have to fly into there & see him. Then I want to check out music museums, record stores & basically some other cool stuff. I think I probably want to make my way to Tennessee to check out the Stax, Sun & Graceland museums. If I have 2 weeks to get there, how long can I realistically expect it to take me to drive from somewhere like San Antonio or Austin through to Tennessee (Memphis I guess, but I'll have to check what does with flights to/from New Zealand etc. I guess wherever the biggest airport is)? I think I'll want to call into Mississippi for the Delta Blues Museum (is that Clarksdale?). What else should I check out in the time I have in that area (Texas/Louisiana/Mississippi/(Alabama))?? Music/Culture/Records.. Please help me out with ideas/info. Thanks.

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The ARC Fall Show is Oct. 3-5 and would be a great stop for you if you can swing it. From Austin to Memphis is about an 15 hour drive. If I were you I'd hit Dallas(Dinner's on me)and Little Rock on the way to Memphis and then New Orleans from there. Two weeks is plenty of time to run that circuit. As it gets closer and you know your route let me know and I'll try to help you out with some local restaurants and attractions.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    cool, thanks for the info.

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    Rock is right. Flying into Austin for the ARC, then working a 2 week tour to Memphis through the south should yield some really good times and records. Lots of people here should be able to help out with spots to hit, but don't plan on much cash being left over if you have never been to Austin Record Convention before.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    If you make it down to Houston, hit me up.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bring your appetite:

FOOD > RECORDS

• in U-S and A, there are women who are allowed to do the car driving, most in big vechicles. much larger than 5 mule plow. wow-wa-wee-wa. look out.

yeah bring your ape-tit cause there's mad food to boot around those parts. i don't mess with any of that southern food for many reasons...but from knowing mad foreigners you'll be into that food, and when you go back to NZ you can tell em you had the real deal.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Thanks guys. I am definitely excited to fit ARC in. Also looking forward to sampling some genuine southern food.

• do you like barbecue? If you make it to Little Rock, you should hit up Whole Hog. They got like 7 different sauces and the food is the kron. Whenever one of our friends goes home i always ask if they can pick me up a grip of sauces. Just go easy on the volcano sauce. I'll hit you up with some more badass restaurants later today when my girl gets back, she's from the Rock.