Funk: Fat Albert Rotunda

2»

Comments

• His first post-Miles album, 1969???s Fat Albert Rotunda was Herbie???s maiden voyage into the newly emerging realm of jazz-funk. As Herbie explained to Bob Blumenthal in 1971, ???I did the music for the Fat Albert cartoon show Bill Cosby did on TV.

Anyone know where to cop a (unofficial?) copy of the original Fat Albert pilot this is from? Pretty cool stuff - the animation is completely different from the series - more abstract w/ tinted stock footage for backgrounds & whatnot. I watched it once years ago at the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC, but don't think it's commercially available.

Was this an official pilot or was it his Doctorate thesis. Or did tv just pick up his student film for tv?

I assume it was an official pilot since it was in the museum's library. But if it was a student film/thesis then maybe that makes sense on why it hasn't been made more widely available.

Yeah, I only made it over to the Broadcasting Museum once BITD. But that Fat Albert pilot and the episode of Playboy After Dark w/ James Brown & Marva Whitney were tops on my required viewing list.

It was a prime time special. I saw it when it was first broadcast and a few times after that. It was cool, and did have a completely different feel from the Saturday morning series.

• Ako, i recall you were into carol kaye's style of playing from that era, well you should check buster williams on this, he is totally

Not to mention Joe Henderson.... his solo on Wiggle Waggle is pure gold --- he is The Don. Can twist that s**t round his little finger.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Listening in its entirety for the first time.

Better late than never

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    This album rocks... I find it better than some of his other funked up stuff... its got a nice conituity to the whole LP, you can put it on and let it roll... everything is tight and right!

Cant believe dudes could sleep on this..... or not listen to it in its entirity from the get go... how can you play one song off this and not want to play the rest?

• Go for the 45!

• Go for the 45!

Of which song?

• Go for the 45!

Of which song?

I guess off that album "Tell me a bedtime story" is quite the "HIT" and Herbie re-recorded at various times later in his career...

however surely I prefer Fat albert to his later albums with headhunters