Funk: Fat Albert Rotunda

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Listening in its entirety for the first time. This album kinda shreds. I still like that funky shit. Sorry. Funk is like that old flame that never seems to die...That and rap music.

Comments

• I would buy you a whole cases of trollis to see you go up to Herbie Hancock and say that.

This album kinda shreds. I still like that funky shit. Sorry. Funk is like that old flame that never seems to die...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    That's what I'm talking about.

• Listening in its entirety for the first time.

• hmmm...can someone please hate me for saying this but that album is terrible.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Listening in its entirety for the first time.

i've still never heard this album.

never seen a copy in the field. thats one of my favorite covers though.

• Listening in its entirety for the first time.

Such a great record. Tell me a bedtime story is lush.

• hmmm...can someone please hate me for saying this but that album is terrible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    hmmm...can someone please hate me for saying this but that album is terrible.

I wont go as far as terrible but I recall hearing it for the first time and my imagination of Fat Albert in the streets of Philly didnt match up w/ what i was hearing.

Rutunda not Fat Albert enuff...

Its probably diff timeline.

His first post-Miles album, 1969???s Fat Albert Rotunda was Herbie???s maiden voyage into the newly emerging realm of jazz-funk. As Herbie explained to Bob Blumenthal in 1971, ???I did the music for the Fat Albert cartoon show Bill Cosby did on TV. Bill had the soundtrack tape, which he played for the executives at Warner Bros., and they flipped over it; they just loved it. So I chose to record Fat Albert Rotunda as my first album for the label???which gave me the freedom to do Mwandishi next.???

• "The start of funky funky Herbie Hancock! This album's the first to feature Herbie really breaking away from his straight jazz work -- moving into a groove that's nice and funky, using electric piano along with acoustic, to forge the sound that he'd develop famously over the 70s. The album's got a harder, heavier sound than some of his straight electric ones -- and it features a larger group with soloists that include Johnny Coles, Joe Henderson, and Buster Williams -- all led by Herbie into a tight soul jazz flurry of excellent tracks! Includes the cuts "Fat Mama" and "Wiggle Waggle", both sample favorites, plus "Tell Me A Bedtime Story" and "Lil Brother". Classic stuff, and one of his best (and hardest to find) LPs!
    (180 gram vinyl.)"

NICE ONE!

Listening in its entirety for the first time.

I've seen it a couple times for like 30bucks in the field. Finally found one for cheap, so I copped it. If you like jazz-funk, you'll probably like this.

• "The start of funky funky Herbie Hancock!

God, that double "funky" is criminal.

"The start of funky funky Herbie Hancock!

I would say it's more like a

tight soul jazz flurry

tight soul jazz flurry

A tight soul jazz flurry is what comes out of my butt after a night of whiskey and beer.

Fat Albert Rotunda, on the other hand, is funky funky!

tight soul jazz flurry

A tight soul jazz flurry is what comes out of my butt after a night of whiskey and beer.

Fat Albert Rotunda, on the other hand, is funky funky!

haha. you funny.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

tight soul jazz flurry

Tight soul jazz with a funky rhythm section ....probably.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

It's Fuchsed up.

• it surley doesnt shred hard enough to use the double funky. this ones not even in my top couple herbie albums..

• it surley doesnt shred hard enough to use the double funky. this ones not even in my top couple herbie albums..

that would be ?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    it surley doesnt shred hard enough to use the double funky. this ones not even in my top couple herbie albums..

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    My 2 cents: A great album, breaking new ground, away from the jazz and into the funky and the electric. This record sounds like the soundtrack to a cop show, a big city cop show, the music being very hip/slick/street wise , in my opinion every cut totally shredz, maybe herbie felt at the time that the record wasnt deep enough (like the stuff he did in the past and continued to do onward), made for a tv show and all that, still i'd say that it is freakin amazing, for any fan/collectro of the funky this record is definately a must have!

nerdy foot note: for some reason (label ties?) eric gale was left out from the credits

• Hey upskiboo, nice review !

Tootie Heath such a legendary .... too bad he wasn't used that much to record more soul-jazz in the vein of fat albert ....

anybody can recommend some othe good date he played on ?

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

Hey upskiboo, nice review !

Tootie Heath such a legendary .... too bad he wasn't used that much to record more soul-jazz in the vein of fat albert ....

thanx.. i just dont see any reason to underrate this joint just because its common and still going for cheap..

and btw, Ako, i recall you were into carol kaye's style of playing from that era, well you should check buster williams on this, he is totally

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

Hey upskiboo, nice review !

thanx.. i just dont see any reason to underrate this joint just because its common and still going for cheap..

and btw, Ako, i recall you were into carol kaye's style of playing from that era, well you should check buster williams on this, he is totally

id love to hear it. i just still have yet to run into a copy, even a reissue!

• "Fat albert rotunda" is such a fun album. Not tough to find, as other pointed out. There's a nice atmosphere about the playing. The compositions are pedestrian I suppose, but "funk" in jazz hadn't yet found its cliches and the musicians are on-point. It's funny how Herbie dropped this album and then went and did Mwadishi and Crossings, two of his most deep and Miles-inspired, yet unapproachable, albums.

• His first post-Miles album, 1969???s Fat Albert Rotunda was Herbie???s maiden voyage into the newly emerging realm of jazz-funk. As Herbie explained to Bob Blumenthal in 1971, ???I did the music for the Fat Albert cartoon show Bill Cosby did on TV.

Anyone know where to cop a (unofficial?) copy of the original Fat Albert pilot this is from? Pretty cool stuff - the animation is completely different from the series - more abstract w/ tinted stock footage for backgrounds & whatnot. I watched it once years ago at the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC, but don't think it's commercially available.

His first post-Miles album, 1969???s Fat Albert Rotunda was Herbie???s maiden voyage into the newly emerging realm of jazz-funk. As Herbie explained to Bob Blumenthal in 1971, ???I did the music for the Fat Albert cartoon show Bill Cosby did on TV.

Anyone know where to cop a (unofficial?) copy of the original Fat Albert pilot this is from? Pretty cool stuff - the animation is completely different from the series - more abstract w/ tinted stock footage for backgrounds & whatnot. I watched it once years ago at the Museum of Broadcasting in NYC, but don't think it's commercially available.

Was this an official pilot or was it his Doctorate thesis. Or did tv just pick up his student film for tv?

Ill have to check out the Museum for that shit. Thanx.

And has anybody heard the Comedy album? I never have.

The producers wanted NBC to bring Fat Albert to Saturday mornings, but they refused because the series was too educational. [1]. So, Bill Cosby and a new production company, Filmation Associates, took the property to CBS.

• His first post-Miles album, 1969???s Fat Albert Rotunda was Herbie???s maiden voyage into the newly emerging realm of jazz-funk. As Herbie explained to Bob Blumenthal in 1971, ???I did the music for the Fat Albert cartoon show Bill Cosby did on TV.

Was this an official pilot or was it his Doctorate thesis. Or did tv just pick up his student film for tv?

I assume it was an official pilot since it was in the museum's library. But if it was a student film/thesis then maybe that makes sense on why it hasn't been made more widely available.

Yeah, I only made it over to the Broadcasting Museum once BITD. But that Fat Albert pilot and the episode of Playboy After Dark w/ James Brown & Marva Whitney were tops on my required viewing list.