What happened at the lastest Obama/Clinton debate?

2»

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Baby girl

Easy now!

why you gotta get all personal with the turkey neck and shit? How's about some afro-heat?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Baby girl

Easy now!

why you gotta get all personal with the turkey neck and shit? How's about some afro-heat?

Doh! PM on it's way

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Barack got all the money, all the money...

How the hell is McCain gonna compete with that kinda purse?

If I'm Barack here's what I would do....

Approach McCain in a public forum and suggest that both candidates donate ALL their campaign monies to charity, forgo all the millions of dollars of negative campaign ads, and run strictly on platform and performance.

If McCain agrees, then Barack can truly lay claim to being the candidate of change by making one of the biggest changes in U.S. politics in the last 40 years.

If McCain declines then the gloves can come off and Barack can use his money to bury McCain.

McCain has been pressuring Obama to commit to public funding, as Obama once said he would. This would eliminate his monetary advantage.

As I recall, Obama never made any such statement. He merely inquired about it to some sort of government election officials. Or something of that nature.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

As I recall, Obama never made any such statement. He merely inquired about it to some sort of government election officials. Or something of that nature.

According to NPR, Obama is trying to claim he never made a VOW even though Obama has said, in the past, that he'd want both candidates to accept public funding if he were the nominee. The difference, being made now, is that Obama didn't PROMISE he'd do it. It's major hair-splitting.

• It is true that he never made an absolute pledge, but he still says he wants to reach an agreement. He says he is concerned about loopholes & 527s. Here are some of the details --

March 2, 2007
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/us/politics/02fec.html
    Mr. Burton added that if nominated Mr. Obama would ???aggressively pursue an agreement??? with whoever was his opponent.

Feb 20, 2008
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/02/our-view-on-cam.html
    Now that Obama is raising money at a clip of more than $1 million a day and, if he is the Democratic candidate, could enjoy a large financial advantage over presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, he's adding asterisks and provisos just like, well, some Washington politician.

Last week, Obama's campaign manager Bill Burton told the Associated Press that public financing was "an option" that's still "on the table." Obama said, "It would be presumptuous of me to say now that I'm locking myself into something when I don't even know if the other side is going to agree to it."

Obama's response
    http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2008/02/opposing-view-3.html
    We can have such an agreement this year, and it could hold up. I am committed to seeking such an agreement if that commitment is matched by Senator McCain. When the time comes, we will talk and our commitment will be tested.

I will pass that test, and I hope that the Republican nominee passes his.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

And if I'm remembering correctly, you conceded to recognizing Obama's efforts, ie., legislative experience in another thread, so why then would you label it a "key issue" here? Flipflopping perhaps?

what? no, the "just words" argument is why i favor Hillary. his speeches, imo, are deceptive because if anyone was/is the candidate for change on the dem side it was Edwards (or Kucinech and Gravel if you wanna go there). i think the unity message is more appropriate and in that case he definitely practices what he preaches. but - it bugs me that the voice of change is a middle of the road democrat. hillary, to me, is more authentic because she just lays out all of her positions and says - this is who i am. perhaps, if she was as good of a speaker as obama you'd here broader language, but again, i think the whole storm the whitehouse approach is only fitting in comparison to republicans - and not each other. they are essentially running on the same platform...yet he's running against the "clinton machine" and "old washington politics". please.

I usually steer clear of the Wall Street Journal's editorial page, but I found the vitriol that Daniel Henninger was spewing from his keyboard last week both shocking and amusing: "Up to now, the force of Sen. Obama's physical presentation has so dazzled audiences that it has been hard to focus on precisely what he is saying. "Yes, we can! Yes, we can!" Can what?

Listen closely to that Tuesday night Wisconsin speech. Unhinge yourself from the mesmerizing voice. What one hears is a message that is largely negative, illustrated with anecdotes of unremitting bleakness. Heavy with class warfare, it is a speech that could have been delivered by a Democrat in 1968, or even 1928."

He goes on to say: "...Barack Obama isn't talking sunshine in America. He's talking fast and furious. People not yet baptized into Obamamania may start to look past the dazzling theatrics to see a vision of the United States that is quite grim and could wear thin in the general election."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120295124554366927.html

Ohnohedidn't!

• That shit pissed me the fuck off.

Is this the new meme now?

"If you like Obama you've been sucked in by an irrational cult of personality, devoid of any real substance!! You must be CRAAAZEEEEEEE!!!!"

"If you like Obama you've been sucked in by an irrational cult of personality, devoid of any real substance!! You must be CRAAAZEEEEEEE!!!!"

More like, if you like Obama you're a poor person who can't bootstrap his way to fiscal and moral comfort with the current division between rich and poor.

"Class Warfare" = old scare tactic designed to convince the middle class that it's not the corporations and fat cats bleeding them dry, but the unwashed masses at the gate ready to steal their new car and raid their fridge.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    By the way, did anyone see this story?
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/21/report_security_relaxed_at_obama_speech/8649/

Report: Security relaxed at Obama speech[/b]

Published: Feb. 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    DALLAS, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- The Secret Service told Dallas police to stop screening for weapons while people were still arriving at a campaign rally for Barack Obama, a report said.

Police stopped checking people for weapons at the front gates of Reunion Arena more than an hour before the Democratic presidential hopeful appeared on stage Wednesday, the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram reported.

Police said the order to stop using metal detectors and checking purses and laptop bags constituted a security lapse, the newspaper reported.

Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence -- who heads the department's homeland security and special operations divisions -- told the Star-Telegram the order had been intended to speed up seating of the more than 17,000 people who came to hear the candidate speak.

Lawrence said he was concerned about the large number of people being let in without being screened, but that the crowd seemed "friendly," the newspaper said.

Several Dallas police officers -- speaking on condition of anonymity because the order came from federal officers -- told the newspaper it was worrying to see so many people get it without even a cursory inspection.

The Star-Telegram said the Secret Service did not return a call seeking comment.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Local reports claim that some Dallas Civic leaders were complaining about the screening as there was no similar screening at rallies for Huckabee and Clinton(Chelsea).

The Secret Service apparently had plenty of agents on hand and felt they could handle the security.

There really shouldn't be any uproar at all since many Obama rallies around the country that were held outdoors had no metal detectors, etc. whatsoever.

Personally, it seems that an outdoor scenario would be much more likely for any type of attack as it would be easier to escape than if you had done so in a crowded arena.

I think this is a case of the media making a bigger deal out of an issue than need be.

And it sells papers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Local reports claim that some Dallas Civic leaders were complaining about the screening as there was no similar screening at rallies for Huckabee and Clinton(Chelsea).

The Secret Service apparently had plenty of agents on hand and felt they could handle the security.

There really shouldn't be any uproar at all since many Obama rallies around the country that were held outdoors had no metal detectors, etc. whatsoever.

Personally, it seems that an outdoor scenario would be much more likely for any type of attack as it would be easier to escape than if you had done so in a crowded arena.

I think this is a case of the media making a bigger deal out of an issue than need be.

And it sells papers.

But it's Dallas!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

And it sells papers.

But it's Dallas!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    That shit pissed me the fuck off.

More like, if you like Obama you're a poor person who can't bootstrap his way to fiscal and moral comfort with the current division between rich and poor.

"Class Warfare" = old scare tactic designed to convince the middle class that it's not the corporations and fat cats bleeding them dry, but the unwashed masses at the gate ready to steal their new car and raid their fridge.

Considering where Henninger's comments appeared, I read it more as a finger-wagging at Republicans who begrudingly admire Obama's hustle...The irony of his critique is that Ronald Reagan (insert Obama gaffe here) rode class warfare all the way to the White House, and had middle-class and working-class Democrats to thank for it.

• Agreed... pardon the visceral reaction.

In other news, Clinton disowns NAFTA!

This is downright bizarre... her husband passed NAFTA. They are now claiming that he was not responsible, despite signing it into law.

• Report: Security relaxed at Obama speech[/b]
    last time I saw a presidential candidate, I couldn't even bring in a 2" keychain leatherman

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    last time I saw a presidential candidate, I couldn't even bring in a 2" keychain leatherman

Terrorist.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    By the way, did anyone see this story?
    http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Top_News/2008/02/21/report_security_relaxed_at_obama_speech/8649/

Published: Feb. 21, 2008 at 6:27 PM
    DALLAS, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- The Secret Service told Dallas police to stop screening for weapons while people were still arriving at a campaign rally for Barack Obama, a report said.

Police stopped checking people for weapons at the front gates of Reunion Arena more than an hour before the Democratic presidential hopeful appeared on stage Wednesday, the Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram reported.

Police said the order to stop using metal detectors and checking purses and laptop bags constituted a security lapse, the newspaper reported.

Dallas Deputy Police Chief T.W. Lawrence -- who heads the department's homeland security and special operations divisions -- told the Star-Telegram the order had been intended to speed up seating of the more than 17,000 people who came to hear the candidate speak.

Lawrence said he was concerned about the large number of people being let in without being screened, but that the crowd seemed "friendly," the newspaper said.

Several Dallas police officers -- speaking on condition of anonymity because the order came from federal officers -- told the newspaper it was worrying to see so many people get it without even a cursory inspection.

The Star-Telegram said the Secret Service did not return a call seeking comment.

This is exactly what worries me about Obama. He's smart, and gives speeches reminiscent of the style of Dr. King. Which makes him prime for assasination from any corporation, politician, supremecist, or nutso that doesn't agree with him. We're not so advanced as a society that it is not entirely possible. 1968 was only 40 years ago.

- spidey