Ride for a one man band

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
maroon buffoon Runt. Pre-digital, don't forget. Oh Mrs Oldfield, why your son make Branson so rich? is there anything the guy didn't do on this record?Any thoughts, comments.... anyone missing? Not sure I can count Omar....

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

• HamHam 872 Posts
    oops. didnt see you already had prince up there.

• Jesse fuller!

and bobby brown with his six octave voice and crazy homemade instruments, his first "the enlightening beam of axonda" is

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The late, great Abner Jay

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Jesse fuller!

and bobby brown with his six octave voice and crazy homemade instruments, his first "the enlightening beam of axonda" is

yeah Jesse rocks. Bobby Brown comes across a little..... wasted? Have a bath man!

Not sure why Tabasko posted that vid, surely it was for the piano trio thread. Or am I missing something? Tabasko pls to explain....

• scott h. biram:

one man blues rock band from hell

scott is a crazy man, but one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    you guys are soft for not mentioning the GOD

you guys are soft for not mentioning the GOD

I feel guilty for the mixed feelings I have while viewing that.
    I was watching with a concerned, caring look on my face that may have been mistaken for a Beavis and Butthead snigger.

guilty? you've never seen Wesley Willis live I assume? dude used to put on a fun show

guilty? you've never seen Wesley Willis live I assume? dude used to put on a fun show

never even heard of him
    What's the backstory?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    This is my local straight up one-man-band experience, Prins Nitram:

I've seen him live a couple of times, and he's pretty good.

On the multitracking multiinstrumentalist tip (e.g. Prince), I've been digging this dude's early/mid 70s output lately:

I've been sleeping on his catalogue before, but he's got some jams besides the Blade Runner/Chariots Of Fire stuff that he's usually associated with.

I'm feeling the cosmic cheese of "Let It Happen" from

never even heard of him
    What's the backstory?

crazy dude from Chicago that used to write these really simple funny songs accompanied by a casio keyboard with a pre-programmed beat. Dude used to end every song with "rock over London, rock on Chicago" and then put in a commercial slogan like "be a pepper drink dr pepper"

if you ever met him in person he greeted everyone with a headbutt so he had this callous right in the middle of his forehead. dude was just fun.

wikipedia has some info on him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Willis

never even heard of him
    What's the backstory?

crazy dude from Chicago that used to write these really simple funny songs accompanied by a casio keyboard with a pre-programmed beat. Dude used to end every song with "rock over London, rock on Chicago" and then put in a commercial slogan like "be a pepper drink dr pepper"

if you ever met him in person he greeted everyone with a headbutt so he had this callous right in the middle of his forehead. dude was just fun.

wikipedia has some info on him

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesley_Willis

Wild. That one finger technique doesn't truly qualify him for one man band multi instrumentalist status tho'.

Liking the Vangelis thing too, forgot about him. What a scary/cuddly looking dude.

BTW re: Todd Rundgren
    Dude looks like a lady, and Dude-looks-like-a-lady-related

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Currently, Zongamin kills:

And I ride for James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem:

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Here one of my ex-coworkers. Dude is on some real deal blues/rock shit.

good dude. good music.

John Schooley
    http://www.johnschooley.com/

Here one of my ex-coworkers. Dude is on some real deal blues/rock shit.

good dude. good music.

John Schooley
    http://www.johnschooley.com/

He has a whole one man White Stripes thing going on there, it's all good.

Much respect to anyone who can solidly play 3+ instruments at at time.

No-one mentioning Mike Oldfield; jack of all trades, true master of none I reckon. But the sheer variety of instruments he played was incredible.

As for Nerio, anyone liking Phillippino latin jazz boogie funk fusion needs to hear that LP. He did everything on there, including publishing and artwork if I remember correctly.

Wouldn't surprise me to learn he chopped down the trees and pressed the cardboard to make the sleeves too. Inspiring can-do attitude.

Todd's out on his own tho' IMO, for playing it all AND producing great pop/rock at a time when the technology wasn't really made for his schtick. Loving that stuff.

And we haven't even mentioned Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins yet....

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• salviasalvia 279 Posts

• the infamous Bob Log III formerly of the group Doo Rag.

enjoi.

Dallas's own Homer Henderson!!(Named after the intersection street signs in front of his house)

was he playing air bass drum there?

I won't be buying that raer from him, I like my LPs to come from a smoke free home

• [/thread]

[/thread]

yes indeed
    Stevie misses a trick; he could attach mini tambourines and cymbals to his locks and add a whole new dimension to the percussion in his sound

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    D-Madness aka Dwayne Jackson outta Austin...

• buddy of mine has Hasil's last 2 albums he recorded before he died...he is sitting on the tapes, of course Norton is all up in his grill about them.

Ill smack the taste out of your mouth if you mention that you ride for King Louie...dude SUCKS.

buddy of mine has Hasil's last 2 albums he recorded before he died...he is sitting on the tapes, of course Norton is all up in his grill about them.

I love Hasil but the material he recorded post 1970 is tepid at best.