Surprise finds...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
don't you love it when you find random shit in records you buy:1) found a fold out poster of Steve Martin in a pink 3-piece suit with silver tie on yellow background in a Little Feat record2)found the lyric sheet to Talking Heads "Remain In Light" in another random used record I got last week - sweet since my copy didn't have it...any other cracker jack prize stories?

Comments

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    I've found random photos,lyrics that a fan wrote down,love letters,order forms for distributers when the record came out, and recently we found a dudes report card from '77 here at the store...C average.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I like finding radio records that have detailed notes on the inner sleeve. What song is good, what time to play. Artitst facts to say when introducing the song. Usually the "heat" song is totally ignored. Sometimes not.

My copy of the second Dust LP has "Night Only" in big magic marker! Don't play that heavy stuff durring the day!!!!!

One Elvin Jones record I got had some crazy person writing all over it. Tons of little notes that didn't really make a lot of sence. Seemed to be notes on the music, but it was so small and abstract I couldn't never really figure out what the heck it ment.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Found a sleeveless copy of Pharaoh Sanders - Black Unity (anyone have a spare sleeve for this?) inside my Phil Woods - At the Frankfurt Jazz Festival, that I DID NOT put in there. Granted I was lifted like a muhfuh when I went in that store, but I most definitely didn??t steal it.

Had a lot of not quite as pleasant surprise finds, though. Like a stack of Ash-Ra Tempel and Amon D????l sleeves all filled with Elvis-records. Damn.

- J

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I recently bought a Japanese kyoto album(mainly for the cover).It was put out by "Japan Airlines"-one of those corporate promo devices.Anyway it had a folded paper barfbag inside the sleeve(unused thankfully).I just thought it was so funny.Did this actually come with the record? Was someone just being a smart ass? Or do I need it because the record is so bad I'll puke?

Plus I found a suicide note in a Nick Drake album sleeve ...ok I'm lying about that one

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Found a petrafied condom in a record once. Another time I was buying a collection and while looking through it I found $200 in 20s and lots of unused dimebags.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    a great recipe for carrot cake complete with hand drawn crayon illustrations. the cake looks delicious.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    a great recipe for carrot cake complete with hand drawn crayon illustrations. the cake looks delicious.

Plaese to post pic.

- J

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    Found a petrafied condom in a record once. Another time I was buying a collection and while looking through it I found $200 in 20s and lots of unused dimebags.

I found about 20 ecstasy pills when cleaning out one of my roomates crap from the basement one time.

plur baby, plur...

• ArtifactorArtifactor 887 Posts

NICE! Did you find it before or after you payed for the collection? What did you do with the dimebags?

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I found a Sunny and the Sun-Liners 8x10 publicity shot (Tear Drop Records) inside some fairly common thrift store record.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Just found one I forgot, while pulling records for my radio show - stuffed inside my copy of Love, "Forever Changes" were 5 double-sided sheets of lined notebook paper, with all the lyrics for the album typed out on them. Pretty neat that the OG owner really took the time to sit down and type out all the words, and keep them with the record. Or maybe it was just something they did while listening to the album on 6 hits of blotter?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    i found a coke straw in a copy of grover washington jr.- live at the bijou

fucking classic!

• On the gatefold inside of James Brown's "Payback", someone wrote "nigger" in black pen... Inside the same record was a colorful birthday card with a clown on it.

I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out who had this thing...

Unrelated, today at work someone dropped off a box of LPs, and when we reached inside there were SPIDERS crawling all around the box.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Found a stack of 1981 bills totaling $300 last week in a Lamont Dozier LP.
    I thought the spine felt too thick and BAM! Crispy bills fall into my palm like it's out of a movie. $100 bill on top.
    Made my month.

Bank Teller: Where'd you get these? Out of your matress?
    Me: Damn near, out an old LP.
    Bank Teller: I'm gonna go home and look through my old albums tonight!