That piano trio funk

2»

Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    NO RESPECT FOR EARL GRANT?

I saw that

But, seriously, a lot of material in this subgenre is borderline EZ. And that's OK. For instance, I find some of the Cunimundos I've heard way too loungey, but I actually like the cocktail-ish stuff like the Martin Denny you mentioned.

I'm listening to this right now:

It's a pretty good live recording from '71. One of those 90s "previously unreleased" releases.

I'd say the "Solus" tracks on this

fits the thread topic too.

• NO RESPECT FOR EARL GRANT?

I saw that

I am SO busted...

But, seriously, a lot of material in this subgenre is borderline EZ. And that's OK. For instance, I find some of the Cunimundos I've heard way too loungey, but I actually like the cocktail-ish stuff like the Martin Denny you mentioned.

You know, the first time I heard Martin Denny ever was on a dusties*** radio program. "Quiet Village" was evidently a big hit on black radio stations back in 1959. Hearing it next to all these old soul hits, that song fit right in. I'd say Denny was about a hair away from being Ramsey Lewis or Ahmad Jamal.

[color:green]***"dusties" - Chicago term for "soul oldies"[/color]

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    smithstonian all day.

A trio? I'd love to see something written about this group...some unearthed reels would be a pretty good look, too!!

yeah i don't know about the trio business, but definately piano funk. ug, i wish i had it. cosign on some press for these guys.

before they were called Smithstonian, they were called Black Blood and the Chocolate Pickles...they released one 45 that I know of, an earlier version of "Mississippi Mud"

So far:

(as Black Blood and the Chocolate Pickles)

Black Blood NR-1577 Make The Walls Come Down / ???
    Black Blood NR-1578 That's Henry (pt. 1) / (pt. 2)
    Black Blood NR-1648 Black Blood (In The Mississippi Mud) / Angela

(as Smithstonian)

Enterprise ENA-9020 Mississippi Mud / Just Sittin'

Edit: This isn't the same group that recorded the LPs "Black Blood" (1975), Chicano (1977), and Blood Brother Blood Sister (1977), is it? I thought they were African.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    smithstonian all day.

A trio? I'd love to see something written about this group...some unearthed reels would be a pretty good look, too!!

yeah i don't know about the trio business, but definately piano funk. ug, i wish i had it. cosign on some press for these guys.

before they were called Smithstonian, they were called Black Blood and the Chocolate Pickles...they released one 45 that I know of, an earlier version of "Mississippi Mud"

So far:

(as Black Blood and the Chocolate Pickles)

Black Blood NR-1577 Make The Walls Come Down / ???
    Black Blood NR-1578 That's Henry (pt. 1) / (pt. 2)
    Black Blood NR-1648 Black Blood (In The Mississippi Mud) / Angela

(as Smithstonian)

Edit: This isn't the same group that recorded the LPs "Black Blood" (1975), Chicano (1977), and Blood Brother Blood Sister (1977), is it? I thought they were African.

actually that group is european (French?) all part of the el chicles/ Roland Kruger camp.

• PerPer 18 Posts
    what about this;

• what about this;

I didn't start the thread, so it ain't up to me to decide, but do ORGANISTS count in a PIANIST discussion?

• (as Smithstonian)

Enterprise, huh? So did this make it onto the third Stax box set? I know it ain't on the ones covering 1960-68 and 1968-71...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    I thought Overton was an SS favourite?

• what about this;

I didn't start the thread, so it ain't up to me to decide, but do ORGANISTS count in a PIANIST discussion?

I would say no...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    (as Smithstonian)

Enterprise, huh? So did this make it onto the third Stax box set? I know it ain't on the ones covering 1960-68 and 1968-71...

This track was released in August of 1970. Unverified rumor has it that even the Stax museum doesn't have an A/B copy.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Anyone have a sound clip of "Just Sittin"?

I have the double-A-side version of "Mississippi Mud." I'm not mad at that but I've always been curious what the flip sounds like.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

First group I thought of when I saw this thread. Although his other album is much better than TOBE imo.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

First group I thought of when I saw this thread. Although his other album is much better than TOBE imo.

Both albums are nice but T.O.B.E. has the edge for me. It's got that killer second half of Superstar and a nice take on Compared To What. I also like the kind of Eugene McDaniels 'Susan Jane' sound on Black Bottom. I get the idea Overton was trying to go a little deeper on this LP...

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Anyone have a sound clip of "Just Sittin"?

I have the double-A-side version of "Mississippi Mud." I'm not mad at that but I've always been curious what the flip sounds like.

PM sent.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    heres two more displaying to some extent that piano trio funk

....also, i'd luv to hear some from this, mp3 anyone?