Record Dealers in Panama?

cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
My Homeboy is in Vacation in Panama and I told him to bring Records back. Anybody know a reliable Dealer in Panama? I might send him a want list so my boy simply picks up the stash.

Comments

• HELLO STRUT!
    I thought you guys knew? City and Country is called P-A-N-A-M-A.There must be a Record Dealer.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    But your boy has a want list. You're all set!

• If your boy is the record dealer from NY that is in Panama right now I am sure he is gonna have a better shot finding records on his own down there than anyone from SoulStrut will from behind their desks here in the states.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    If your boy is the record dealer from NY that is in Panama right now I am sure he is gonna have a better shot finding records on his own down there than anyone from SoulStrut will from behind their desks here in the states.

Oh shit, I gave him a wantlist as well!

• Unfortunatly he isn??t even from NY. Just the Owner of a club hanging out there. He promised me to pick up Records and bring them back to Germany. Postage from Panama or Columbia overseas is a mess and crazy expensive, IF the package even reaches destination. Maybe i can get a contact to that guy from New York? please PM

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    HELLO STRUT!
    I thought you guys knew? City and Country is called P-A-N-A-M-A.There must be a Record Dealer.

With an attitude like that, I'm sure as hell not about to help out with an actual contact I have there.

Strut is not the Yellow Pages.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Spent a lot of time in P-A-N-A-M-A as a kid...have relatives who still live there. One day I'm going to buy a house down there too. Oh yeah, you want to know where the records are....

Just kidding (but then again, maybe not).

A-M-A-N-A-P-L-A-N-A-C-A-N-A-L-P-A-N-A-M-A

• 'Spress yourself....

• Can't believe you guys are actually responding to his request. What an attitude.
    It's not frickin MacDonalds here were you can just yell your order and they throw it at you.

• HELLO STRUT!

D-I-C-K-T-A-R-D

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    HELLO STRUT!

I usually just go through the Embassy:

Embassy of Germany in Panama City, Panama - Edificio Bancomer, Piso 6, CLS 50 y 53, Apartado 4228 Zona 5, Ciudad de Panam??, Panam??. P.O. Box. 0832-0536 World Trade Center. Tel: (00 507) 263 77 33 - 263 79 91 - 264 11 47 - 263 46 77. Fax:(00 507) 223 66 64. E-mail: [email]germpanama@cwp.net.pa[/email]

They should be able to hook you up.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I spent an hour looking for records in Panama City to no avail - well, I bought a Nicaraguan pressing of the Los Angeles Negros, but that's it. I didn't see any stores, just some small piles of (mostly 80s) LPs in an alley called Salsipuendes.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There's a dealer "Panama Jose" with pretty solid crates. He carries mostly local material, but it's cheap and usually in excellent condition. Exciters LPs sell for maybe $10, but most of them are unplayed store stock. He hangs around the docks, mostly--he's chummy with the stevedores.

Look for a guy about 6'2" with a pony tail and a slightly lazy eye. If you bring him a bottle of Canadian Club, he may knock 50% of the price. Tell Jose I send my regards.

Oh yeah, DON'T talk about the canal with him. It's a sore spot.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

I want the world
    I want the whole world
    I want to lock it all up in my pocket
    It's my bar of chocolate
    Give it to me
    Now!

I want today
    I want tomorrow
    I want to wear 'em like braids in my hair
    And I don't want to share 'em

I want a party with room fulls of laughter
    Ten thousand tons of ice cream
    And if I don't get the things I am after
    I'm going to scream!

I want the works
    I want the whole works
    Presents and prizes and sweets and surprises
    Of all shapes and sizes
    And now
    Don't care how
    I want it now
    Don't care how
    I want it now

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Well, to be fair to Danno, he did give me Jose's contact information, but in the end I spent more time hunting for rare hats than records. Saw a VG- 1923 woven-straw model with the band still attached, which was pretty sweet, but definitely out of my price range. Then I got home and learnt that Panama hats aren't actually from Panama, so I'm glad I didn't buy it.

There's a dealer "Panama Jose" with pretty solid crates. He carries mostly local material, but it's cheap and usually in excellent condition. Exciters LPs sell for maybe $10, but most of them are unplayed store stock. He hangs around the docks, mostly--he's chummy with the stevedores.

Look for a guy about 6'2" with a pony tail and a slightly lazy eye. If you bring him a bottle of Canadian Club, he may knock 50% of the price. Tell Jose I send my regards.

Oh yeah, DON'T talk about the canal with him. It's a sore spot.

Dude, c'mon, be real. When I dealt with him, Jose was charging me $30 for the Exciters LP and shit was NM- at best, not unplayed store stock. He was a bitch to find in the docks too; you didn't warn me about not going at night!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    He was a bitch to find in the docks too; you didn't warn me about not going at night!

C'mon sailor, you can't go to Panama City without spending a night at the docks.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    Jose was mad chill.
    he was so mellow that we worked out trades on some titles.

basically i got these titles from Jose...

Los Exagerados-Panama Esta Bueno Y Ma
    The Exciters-Exciters Theme
    Bush Y Sus Magnificos-Nana Nina
    Victor Boa Y Su Musica-Soy Solo Para Ti
    Freddy Y Su Afro Latinos-Maltrato
    Papi Brandao Y Su Ejecutivos-Viva Panama
    los Silvertones-Old Buzzard
    Los Fabulosos Festivals-El Mensaje
    The Exciters-New Bag
    Bolita y Su Tentacion Latina-Descarga Tentacion
    Los Caballeros de Colon-Con Los Caballeros
    Los Dinamicos Exciters -Let me do my Thing
    Los Mozambiques-Viva Tirado
    Maximo Rodriguez Y Sus Estrella Panamenas-Mambologia
    Lord Cobra and Pana Afro Sounds-Rocombey

it was crazy.

basically jose was looking for Hot Stamper pressings of Cat Stevens and Supertramp records... so it was a super mellow trade.

oh, we also did a wife swap.

• HELLO STRUT!

With an attitude like that, I'm sure as hell not about to help out with an actual contact I have there.

Strut is not the Yellow Pages.

thank you guys who seriously responded and helped me out, I??m gonna try that to get some, and yes, I need that exsiters record.
    Yellow pages didn??t work, so I tried the strut.

• I've found two different Exciters records in New York City alone.

You don't need Panama Jose. But he does have the wild hats.

• it??s almost impossible to find serious latin stuff over here, so i might expand my next stay in ny for some more caliente. i will drop by with some trades.