synths in the $300 to $500 range

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
What is a nice synth in this range? Im currently looking at theAlesis Ion or Micron (micron has effects and seq but not as easier to program as the ion)novation k or x station korg ms 2000 (no microkorg or rackmount-i want keys)also anything vintage in this range thats worth the dough? I want a nice sound engine, nice key action, would like effects, decent polyphony and deep programming. thanks in advance.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    when i was on my synth search recently, the ms2000 was recommended a lot. i had a microkorg before and liked some of the presets but couldn't make myself go through all the menus and bullshit to tweak stuff. the ms2000 is supposed to have the same sound engine but with a lot more ways to tweak it

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i actually owned a ms2000r when i first got into production. I regret selling it as i look back now and appreciate the features alot more now that i understand synthesis better. It was very easy to tweak and program and the effects and arp were decent. Also you could load the micros presets into it via sysex cause its the same engine. I might go with it again but i may have a chance to get an ion for $350. I heard the ion has a great sound engine, but the effects and arp sucks.

Im not a fan of the microkorg at all though. the keys really suck imo. The micron has nice features but sounds like it might be a motherfucker to program with only 3 knobs.

so many choices.....

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    oh, i absolutely hated everything about the microkorg interface but i just thought that i could fuck with some of the sounds. to me, until i become a lot better at programming synths, the interface has to be good.

• I'd get either a used Nord Micro-Modular or a vintage Yamaha CS-15. Both are kind of acquired tastes though.

• i'd say go with the alesis micron, a friend of mine has it and i've had only good experiences.

• id say novation over korg for programming ease. im not sure if its hitting w/ your budget but what about a juno??

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Co-sign on the Novation. Their K-Station has a great interface and boasts nice smooth analog-like sound. Can be a little plastic-y feeling, but most synths in this price range have the same problem.

The Nord Micro-Modular is tons of fun, but you need to hook it up to your computer in order to truly edit your patches.

• what about a juno??

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    i may have a chance to get an ion for $350. I heard the ion has a great sound engine, but the effects and arp sucks.

Im not a fan of the microkorg at all though. the keys really suck imo. The micron has nice features but sounds like it might be a motherfucker to program with only 3 knobs.

so many choices.....

Ion:Micron :: MS2000:Microkorg

The Ion and MS2000 are both nice virtual analogs, but both the Micron and Microkorg suffer from cramped interfaces. If you want to create your own patches and learn synthesis, portability isn't your best option.