Jacksonville, FL ...... what to do???

LazerLazer 796 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
gonna be in jax for 6 days for a family wedding. is there anything i should do while i'm there? it's been a while, but from what i remember, there were a lot of rednecks and pick-up trucks (not a far stretch from my great white north). any dining spots y'all care to recomend, or record stores/thrifts/fleas for that matter? any help would be great. help a northern boy get by in the south.thanks,nicky

Comments

• there used to be a few above average book stores that had records and D.J.'s. If you're cool with Mr. Jeigh, holla at him. He used to run J-ville. Also holla at them Asamov cats - Bassix seems to always have some heatage to trade/sell.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Jacksonville is Hell on earth.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    thanks for the tips, G******!!!! I'll do what i can.

• Jacksonville is Hell on earth.

Denton must be a franchise location.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Jacksonville is Hell on earth.

Denton must be a franchise location.

Diggin wise that is, my brief stint in Jax was hell on earth. I made an out of the way stop there while driving through Florida 'cause I've heard quite a lot of positive things about the place being a record town. Well, we dug hard for as long as store hours allowed hittin multiple shops, fleas, thrifts, antiques and sh!t was soooo barren.

Right, I know you can crap out like this in anytown USA (hell I do it most days in Dallas), I'm just bitter I went out of my way to find such a bone-dry city. Somebody there keeps that city on lock. No, no records in Jacksonville.

Oh, diggin in Denton sucks too (most the time) but I haven't lived there in almost 10 yrs.

• it does indeed suck to go to a town where you hear good things to get there and not find squat.

What's good with you??? How's skinny fresh these days?

• If you plan on going out to the Beaches let me know and I can send you some good bar/restaurant recommendations.
    As far as records go, I have found them there but its more miss than hit. Between being a big military town and being in Florida the place is crawling with thrift stores and flea markets. That said you'll wade though piles of bad gospel LP's (its a great place to get weird covers) and Southern rock to find something good. The book store that used to have heat closed down about two years ago which is a shame because I always used to come up there. Vinyl Frontier gets some good stuff from time to time but call first as their hours are sporadic.

• If you plan on going out to the Beaches let me know and I can send you some good bar/restaurant recommendations.
    As far as records go, I have found them there but its more miss than hit. Between being a big military town and being in Florida the place is crawling with thrift stores and flea markets. That said you'll wade though piles of bad gospel LP's (its a great place to get weird covers) and Southern rock to find something good. The book store that used to have heat closed down about two years ago which is a shame because I always used to come up there. Vinyl Frontier gets some good stuff from time to time but call first as their hours are sporadic.

I seriously miss the florida flea market scene. Hit or miss, but some really good latin, caribbean, and reggae/dub LPs.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    thanks everyone.

i hit up Basic per a recomendation from Mr. Jeigh. we'll see what he says. i'll peruse the fleas and thrifts. and Neville, any food spots would be great too. looks like i'll be bouncing between Jax and St. Augistine. leaving tomorrow morning.

• The book store that used to have heat closed down about two years ago which is a shame because I always used to come up there.

Were there cats roaming around this place? I went there while visting my sister-in-law a few years back, pulled some decent stuff. The last time I was down there the place is a furniture repair shop. If your not into mega grid urban sprawl, I would by pass Jville.

• Eat at Caps (especially around sunset) if you're down in St. Augustine:

http://www.floridasecrets.com/Restaurants/NE/Caps.htm

Also great, but in Neptune Beach is Sliders:

http://jacksonville.citysearch.com/profile/2263942/neptune_beach_fl/sliders_oyster_bar.html