Miyazaki appreciation

2»

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    . I would recommend that you watch the movies in thier original language though. As the subtleties of some of the more obscure characters can just get lost in translation. For instance Billy Crystal ruins Howls' for me.

This goes for pretty much any film. I've seen some decent dubbing jobs but on the whole, stick with the OG and read the subtitles.

Sure, with maybe the exception of Kung-fu.

The thing about the Miyazaki/Ghibli movies, is that they're often based around Japanese folk tales. When they get dubbed, with an appeal to sell to the disney market in mind, these things are lost, or even worse, thought of as not important to the story.(like in the pom poko example)
    You don't really have have these kind of problems with say Election, or Infernal Affairs.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Where does one get fansubs?

torrent anime often comes with fansubs.

I love fansubs. Just the fact that people will sit down and work it out, then go into extra detail, just so some otaku on the other side of the world can enjoy the latest anime, amazes me.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Where does one get fansubs?

IRC & newgroups usually. The bad part is that fansubbers are usually extreme in their tastes and their tastes are usually awful.

This is where I go, but it's the same as digging... A lot of trash to find gems.

Dollar Bin common

Speaking of gems, I suggest that everyone interested in this sort of thing see this flick, ASAP:

Mind Game

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    IRC & newgroups usually. The bad part is that fansubbers are usually extreme in their tastes and their tastes are usually awful.

These are both levels of the internet I've yet to delve into.

Newsgroups is like Usenet, right? Do you still have to pay to use these?

And I thought IRC was just a chat thing. How does that work?

Too many questions?

Help a noob out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

These are both levels of the internet I've yet to delve into.

Newsgroups is like Usenet, right? Do you still have to pay to use these?

And I thought IRC was just a chat thing. How does that work?

Too many questions?

Help a noob out.

Yeah, Newgroups = The usenet. I use a reader called Unison for mac's that pretty damn gangster. Makes everything very easy. Not really sure what to tell you if you're on Windows. I haven't read a newsgroup on Windows since like 94. rec.alt-music and nem...

IRC? If you haven't been using IRC for a while or never, now's probably not the time to start. It's overrun by 14 years old who just like causing shit. There's a lot of bots on IRC too now. If you want your pc to be part of the botnet, and easy way would be to get on IRC right now as a noobie. I actually haven't logged into a channel in about 4 years.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Usenet access is free - in general - but if you're using it to download shit, you'll have to pay for a service that allows for the greater bandwidth. Typically runs about $15/month or so, give or take.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Thanks Cashless.

You pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I might look into Usenet again, but I think I'll heed your advice and stay away from IRC, the bots, and the $(r1P7 |1DD13$.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Studio Ghibli >>> Disney at the very least. Probably > than Pixar too.
    Grave of the Fireflies is probably the movie that has made the biggest impression on me, but I probably wouldn't rent the DVD for my son !

• Totoro is my favourite by a long way.

But I celebrate Miyazakis' entire catalogue. I would recommend that you watch the movies in thier original language though. As the subtleties of some of the more obscure characters can just get lost in translation. For instance Billy Crystal ruins Howls' for me.

I second your words, sir.

My childhood years are parallel of Miyazaki's development so I've seen them in the orginal language during the beta/vhs era. As commercial Totoro is an icon of the Ghibli, it is by far my favorite character too. I must sheeply admit that I ride for Hotaru No Haka (Graveyard of the Fireflies). Dismal and a clean cut heartstopper but the sadness is beautiful. I recommend this not for weak souls.