Miyazaki appreciation

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Me and the missus are all f--- up today with food poisoning, luckily our daughter didn't get it too but b/c both are us are pretty laid out, we resorted to busting out some movies to keep the lil one occupied. We just got the English-dubbed version ofIt's been years since I last watched the film and I was reminded what an amazing job Miyazaki does of creating these complete worlds that are at once fantastical yet totally believable. Hell, I want to live in the city by the sea where Kiki ends up. Beyond that, I was thinking about his entire catalog (which I celebrate) and I don't know if there's anything in there I wouldn't ride for:NausicaSpirited AwayLaputaCastle of CalgiostroI still need to see Porco Rosso and I have to say: I never did like Princess Mononoke as much as his others. That said, for consistency and quality, he's hard to beat. Studio Ghibli >>> Disney at the very least. Probably > than Pixar too.

Comments

• i think some of the older disney movies are better. but i love me some totoro. its prolly one of my alltime favorites especially after living in rural japan.

studio ghibli has done some line drawing type cartoon movies too. theyre not as spectacular as the full color nausicaa awesomeness but aparently the stories are much better and suited for adult audiences. i love how his themes can appeal to both children and adults without compromise on either's behalf.

but thats neither here nor there. what did you eat and where?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Me and the missus are all f--- up today with food poisoning, luckily our daughter didn't get it too but b/c both are us are pretty laid out, we resorted to busting out some movies to keep the lil one occupied.

We just got the English-dubbed version of

It's been years since I last watched the film and I was reminded what an amazing job Miyazaki does of creating these complete worlds that are at once fantastical yet totally believable. Hell, I want to live in the city by the sea where Kiki ends up.

Beyond that, I was thinking about his entire catalog (which I celebrate) and I don't know if there's anything in there I wouldn't ride for:

Nausica
    Spirited Away
    Laputa
    Castle of Calgiostro

I still need to see Porco Rosso and I have to say: I never did like Princess Mononoke as much as his others. That said, for consistency and quality, he's hard to beat. Studio Ghibli >>> Disney at the very least. Probably > than Pixar too.

Random thoughts on Miyazaki/Ghibli

I do not ride for his son, Goro, who is a hack of the worst caliber. See "Earthsea" for proof.

Porco Rosso is my shit.

Totoro is his best work.

People still need to see The Castle of Cagliostro, which is neglected...

I love Phil Hartman (RIP), but his ad-libs essentially ruined Jiji for me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

People still need to see The Castle of Cagliostro, which is neglected...

I love Phil Hartman (RIP), but his ad-libs essentially ruined Jiji for me.

I read that either Spielberg or Lucas was heavily influenced by Castle of Cagliostro in terms of thinking of narrative storytelling. It's not the most advanced animation but good god, it's a fun film.

And dude - thank you - I was trying to figure out who the fuck was voicing the cat...it sounded so familiar and now I realize: ah, Hartman. And yeah, the cat was way too sarcastic.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The Castle of Cagliostro

best chase scene EVER.

I don't know if there's anything in there I wouldn't ride for:

Howl's Moving Castle is crap.

What are the older Disney movies I should be checking? I remember that Spriited Away struck me as everything a Disney movie ought to be but isn't. Did Miyazaki make Castle in the Sky too? I seem to remember that not being as good as his other stuff. Slow burners are making my memories foggy.

Castle in the Sky is great! C'mon, clown-painted pirates, riding on mechanical insects, hijacking a zeppelin? AWESOME.

I don't know if there's anything in there I wouldn't ride for:

Howl's Moving Castle is crap.

Disagree. I really enjoyed it even though it did feel too much like a sequel to "Spirited Away."

what did you eat and where?

Teriyaki chicken. That my wife cooked.

• well, personally i really like the old b&w steamboat willie joints and all those old skeleton cartoons. they used to play them shits at straw hat pizza all day long. jungle book is another animated favorite but i am more talking about the live action/animated joints a la mary poppins and petes dragon. bedknobs and broomsticks those escape to with mountain joints (which had litle to no animation). music, animation, dancing, stories, mise en scene. this was disney's heyday if you ask me. also, there's little that can touch the first segment of fantasia. talk about trippin balls!

The Castle of Cagliostro

best chase scene EVER.

Ever play the laserdisc arcade game Cliffhanger? You would dig that shit. In the same vein as Space Ace/Dragon's Lair.

This is the whole game played out an recorded. Good shit.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    The Castle of Cagliostro

best chase scene EVER.

Ever play the laserdisc arcade game Cliffhanger? You would dig that shit. In the same vein as Space Ace/Dragon's Lair.

i was unaware of this.

The Castle of Cagliostro

best chase scene EVER.

i was unaware of this.

I don't think it was successful. I remember it being extremely difficult and having either 2 joysticks and 2 buttons (right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot) or 4 buttons with the same set up. Headz were NOT ready. The other laserdisc games all had just a single joystick and R&L buttons...

I bet you could find this ROM on the internet somewhere.

Yeah, I'm not trying to hate on it in an absolute sense. But I saw Spirited Away first, then started going through his back catalogue. Spirited Away was so...out there in such awesome ways, so imaginative in its details, "rich in texture" (kidding)...and I didn't think Castle in the Sky was as constantly surprising.

I seem to remember being blown away by some scene in Spirited Away where a girl is walking away from some city into the woods and there's this lamplight or something that turns into some weird creature that guides her way? Anyone know what I'm talking about? I'm going to have to rent this again.

PS Good luck feeling better dude...at least it's a good excuse to watch some cartoons.

To each their own. I wouldn't say Laputa is my favorite of his - that'd probably be a tie between Spirited Away and Nausica (the latter straight up blew my mind - so epic) but it holds it down.

And yeah, the walking lamppost is exactly what makes Miyazaki that dude. That's when they go visit the twin witch sister in the woods, after taking the train out there.

that'd probably be a tie between Spirited Away and Nausica (the latter straight up blew my mind - so epic) but it holds it down.

So I've been co-running this film series every Sunday night for the last month. So far we've watched Brazil, The Squid and the Whale, Pumpkin, and 8 1/2.

Part of the goal is to show top-quality films that, over the course of the series, will appeal to a broad audience. Maybe I should consider Nausica...what else might contend for absolutely the most mind-blowing anime feature?

Plaese to see the Satoshi Kon Appreciation thread.

• old animation is where its at for the mindbending shit. look for len lye, oskar fischinger, winsor mckay to name a few of the real eye openers.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    The Cat Returns is great. I liked it better than Kikis, it has that Totoro/Spirited Away other world eerie-ness to it.

All these movies are S

The Cat Returns is great. I liked it better than Kikis, it has that Totoro/Spirited Away other world eerie-ness to it.

All these movies are S

Not to mention, it's funny as hell.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Yeah the cats stalking her are too funny, the kingdom and its court crack me up harder than any cute animated feature I ever saw. Is that one just Ghibli?

Yeah the cats stalking her are too funny, the kingdom and its court crack me up harder than any cute animated feature I ever saw. Is that one just Ghibli?

It's a Ghibli production. Produced in Japan, but the Asian Japanese Ghibli studio of Japan. I'm not sure I understand the question.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    haha, was wondering of Miyazaki's hand in it. I never saw his name on the box.
    I think I'm only aware of the Ghibli movies hes written and Cat Returns is the first one I enjoyed a LOT on par with Spirited Away, so Im surprised to find out it wasn't his.

• Pompoko is also pretty fun.

Here, a tanuki uses his giant nut sack to assault his opponent.

• Sorry, Pom Poko is a Ghibli film, but not a Hayao Miyazaki directed or written work.
    Of those, my faves are Nausicaa & Cagliostro (so good).

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    we resorted to busting out some movies to keep the lil one occupied.

My 3 1/2 year old and I love to watch us some Miyazaki, she's become quite
    the little authority on his work.

• ericeric 155 Posts
    ghibli studio is best in 2d animation movie's,disney are copy cat's with a lack of imagination to me(except for the early one's,but they've lost it know).

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Totoro is my favourite by a long way.

But I celebrate Miyazakis' entire catalogue. I would recommend that you watch the movies in thier original language though. As the subtleties of some of the more obscure characters can just get lost in translation. For instance Billy Crystal ruins Howls' for me.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Pompoko is also pretty fun.

Here, a tanuki uses his giant nut sack to assault his opponent.

Yeah we watched this recently and, while it was a bit uneven, there were many truly inspired moments in there (the moment where me and my other half realised that the furry sacks were, in fact, their balls made the film worth watching by itself) I'm biased though as I think Takahata's Grave Of The Fireflies is one of the great animated films of all time.

As for Miyazaki himself, would definitely recommend Porco Rosso - so beautifully animated and a storyline that surprises you by it's depth as it develops.

Personal favourites would have to be My Neighbour Totoro (the first Miyazaki film I saw), Spirited Away and Nausica?? (I just love the way this film unfolds slowly into such an epic story(. I will ride for Laputa though, for all the giant robots alone.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Yeah we watched this recently and, while it was a bit uneven, there were many truly inspired moments in there (the moment where me and my other half realised that the furry sacks were, in fact, their balls made the film worth watching by itself)

It's worth noting to Western viewers that prominent testicles are an integral part of the Tanuki folklore, and they are shown and referred to throughout the movie, and also used frequently in their shapeshifting. This remains unchanged in the DVD release, though the English dub (but not the subtitles) refers to them as "pouches". Also, in the English dub, the animals are never referred to as tanuki, but incorrectly as raccoons.

. I would recommend that you watch the movies in thier original language though. As the subtleties of some of the more obscure characters can just get lost in translation. For instance Billy Crystal ruins Howls' for me.

This goes for pretty much any film. I've seen some decent dubbing jobs but on the whole, stick with the OG and read the subtitles.

. I would recommend that you watch the movies in thier original language though. As the subtleties of some of the more obscure characters can just get lost in translation. For instance Billy Crystal ruins Howls' for me.

This goes for pretty much any film. I've seen some decent dubbing jobs but on the whole, stick with the OG and read the subtitles.

I take that one step further and suggest that if you can find them and deal with all the extra reading, that you get the fansubs instead. They're generally more meticulous in translation and often provide superscript that explains subtle contextual clues and what not...

Where does one get fansubs?