Barry White productions

skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Can anyone recommend some Barry White-produced LPs, apart from his own and various Love UnLtd Orch stuff?From a fan-site I can see he did a whole host of them....I'm especially feelingGloria ScottJay DeeTom Brockfrom his mid-70's production heyday; I'm searching for that mellow, slightly sleazy melodic soul with the BW trademark flourish.Suggestions gratefully received and will be sought out for a listen.Ta

Comments

• West Wing is quite okay too.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Thanks

any view on White Heat, Gene Page, Evan Pace?

None of these names ring a bell at all for me....

Either rare heaters or cheapo bin stuff?

• White Heat I don't remeber as being excitingly good. One good track is what I remember this for.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I like Gene Page a lot, but I also have a world of appreciation for Michael Massers productions no matter how cheezy and balladeer which might not be a popular consensus.

I'm surprised nobodys hyping you on Hot City tho, I used to put that shit on for a long drive cross state lines to space the fuck out w/o falling asleep like a redbull or something, you can find it for a buck and it will probably please you with familiarity.

I like Gene Page a lot, but I also have a world of appreciation for Michael Massers productions no matter how cheezy and balladeer which might not be a popular consensus.

I'm surprised nobodys hyping you on Hot City tho, I used to put that shit on for a long drive cross state lines to space the fuck out w/o falling asleep like a redbull or something, you can find it for a buck and it will probably please you with familiarity.

thanks folks, I will check them out

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    evan pace is mostly ez-folk rock w/ one decent intro, sounds exactly like the family circle shit buckwild used on game's "like father like son".

the white heat album doesn't have the classic BW sound, but for what it is, it's pretty good. you should do research on gene page, he had a sound very much like barry, and i think he worked with more outside people.

peace,x

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    White Heat I don't remeber as being excitingly good. One good track is what I remember this for.

He didnt produce White Heat. He was involved but wasnt behind the boards.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Barry White Presents Mr. Danny Pearson (Unlimited Gold, 1978)

• you should do research on gene page, he had a sound very much like barry

I could be wrong but I thnk that's because Gene Page was his usual arranger/musical director ...

Just for instance, if you listen carefully to the OSTs for Blacula (by Gene Page) and Together Brothers (nominally by Barry White) one right after the other, you will find many similiraties ( to not say he barely recycled some of the same riffs and rhythms)

you should do research on gene page, he had a sound very much like barry

I could be wrong but I thnk that's because Gene Page was his usual arranger/musical director ...

Just for instance, if you listen carefully to the OSTs for Blacula (by Gene Page) and Together Brothers (nominally by Barry White) one right after the other, you will find many similiraties ( to not say he barely recycled some of the same riffs and rhythms)

Hmmm...maybe it's Gene Page as the special ingredient in these productions?!
    There's a particular groove evident on those albums, Gloria Scott, Jay Dee, Love Unltd, Tom Brock that have a certain something that stands them apart from others of the era IMO. Brass stabs, understated bongos, 'far-away' strings, whatever.
    It could well be that these were the musical director's input.
    I had previously put it down to the fact that BW songs are featured and he had produced...

Thanks for the steer, I will check it all out.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Hmmm...maybe it's Gene Page as the special ingredient in these productions?!

Yes, definitely. For instance, this album

"Music To Make Love By" sounds exactly like the Barry White productions from around the same time ('75). It's not produced by Barry, but it's arranged by Gene Page. Solomon even does a vocal version of "Midnight And You", a track that first appeared as an instrumental on "Rhapsody In White" by the Love Unlimited Orchestra.

Another unifying factor is the characteristic sound of the studio musicians that were used on White/Page related recordings. For example, Ed Greene's drumming is pretty distinctive. Just think of the "I'm Gonna Love You Just A Little More" break. You can always spot him on other sessions too (Motown a.o.). David T. Walkers guitar work is very recognizable as well.

this special knowledge from you guys is

• Can anyone recommend some Barry White-produced LPs, apart from his own and various Love UnLtd Orch stuff?
    From a fan-site I can see he did a whole host of them....

I'm especially feeling
    Gloria Scott
    Jay Dee
    Tom Brock

What fan site is this? Link, please?

• Didn't he also produce a bunch of West Coast soul and rock for the Mustang label in the mid-60's??

• Didn't he also produce a bunch of West Coast soul and rock for the Mustang label in the mid-60's??

I don't know about "rock," but he definitely had a huge hand in moving Del-Fi Records into the soul era with the Bronco and Mustang subsidiaries. Del-Fi released a comp a decade ago called Boss Soul: The Genius Of Barry White, featuring tracks by himself, Felice Taylor, Viola Wills and Johnny Wyatt.

• Del-Fi released a comp a decade ago called Boss Soul: The Genius Of Barry White, featuring tracks by himself, Felice Taylor, Viola Wills and Johnny Wyatt.

I had wanted that way back when but never got a chance to buy it. I'll have to add it to the list. Any good?

Can anyone recommend some Barry White-produced LPs, apart from his own and various Love UnLtd Orch stuff?
    From a fan-site I can see he did a whole host of them....

I'm especially feeling
    Gloria Scott
    Jay Dee
    Tom Brock

What fan site is this? Link, please?

http://members.chello.nl/p.klein6/

• Del-Fi released a comp a decade ago called Boss Soul: The Genius Of Barry White, featuring tracks by himself, Felice Taylor, Viola Wills and Johnny Wyatt.

I had wanted that way back when but never got a chance to buy it. I'll have to add it to the list. Any good?

Yes, real good if you're into the 1960's L.A. soul sound, which was just as distinct as Detroit, Chicago or Memphis.

• Yes, real good if you're into the 1960's L.A. soul sound, which was just as distinct as Detroit, Chicago or Memphis.

Very cool, I'm a fan of that era and of course regional sounds. I want to hear it even more. Thanks.

• Jay Dee

Dilla and Barry White would be dope!!

RIP Jay dee

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm checking out this Danny Pearson record and it's pretty good.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I'm checking out this Danny Pearson record and it's pretty good.

I had to dump that fast after listening to it. I ride for Tom Brock stuff really.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Tom Brock = GOAT

I'm not saying this is on the level, but so far only one real clunker ("Let's Go Dancin'")