drum-off: ?uestlove vs. Travis Barker

Comments

• Now it gonna turn into "My favorite drummer" thread.........

My bad.... don't want to start too many music-related threads on soulstrut at once.

Please continue bickering about nothing.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I don't idolize questlove or Travis Barker like the rest of the world seems to, but they are good drummers at a time when there aren't many. They were tearing it up in that video. It was fun to watch.

The two videos posted in response are weak and just some technical show-off crap.

Ain't got nothin' on this though.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i know this dude personally, we went to h.s. together and hes a real good guy, session player in LA now -

an example of a real musical drum solo that relies on subtlety and nuance. would rather watch this

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i know this dude personally, we went to h.s. together and hes a real good guy, session player in LA now -

an example of a real musical drum solo that relies on subtlety and nuance. would rather watch this

Good stuff. I'd like to hear him minus the corny big band, and with a real solid group.

• Thomas Pridgen is pretty bad ass

• i thought this was fun and enjoyed it. don't really understand all the hate, i've seen way more offensive drum solos. like that one somebody posted in here of the dudes with 1000 toms and 4000 cymbals. wtf.

overkill

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i think primarily i just dont like the method of playing drums like yr trying to lay down railroad ties

• I love Purdie's playing. Just like he says in his video, melody is what it's all about. That's what I liked in the Barker and ?uestlove video. They were trying out several rhythms.

I can appreciate the technical prowess of those other drummer videos, but it's like listening to Joe Satriani.

Purdie has such a great tone on the kit, too -- crisp and rich.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    here's a good drummer. seen him at a workshop. interesting for people that can play the drums?

yes please:
    Good solo

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I love Purdie's playing. Just like he says in his video, melody is what it's all about. That's what I liked in the Barker and ?uestlove video. They were trying out several rhythms.

I can appreciate the technical prowess of those other drummer videos, but it's like listening to Joe Satriani.

Purdie has such a great tone on the kit, too -- crisp and rich.

Please don't put Purdies name in association with this paris hilton bullshit.

Thomas Pridgen is pretty bad ass

He's definitelt tearing shit up, but I still prefer Jon Theodore.

- spidey

• This right here...this is the shit.

• Thomas Pridgen is pretty bad ass

He's definitelt tearing shit up, but I still prefer Jon Theodore.

- spidey

I hear ya. Theodore is not only a great drummer but a good dude from my encounters.
    I guess he's featured on many of the tracks coming out on the Zach de la Rocha album...yes it really is coming out...i think

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i dont think the one i posted or the one w/ animal were about technical prowess primarily

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    How that guy got wrapped up in a band like Blink 182 I'll never know...

yeah, he could've made some money if he didnt....

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    This right here...this is the shit.

agreed

• That said, I think the jazz video that deej posted is my favorite. The bonham and Purdie videos are also cooler than the bozzio/wackerman video. I would much rather hear someone with style solo. The ? and Blink 182 would be fun to see live, but the ideas they explore are pretty generic and don't do much for me.

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=WURSJ4ZDYKM

Purdie and Bozzio took everything from Tommy Lee, Tacoma 1987. ASK ANYONE.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    He's definitely impressive, but for the most part to me unlistenable.

- spidey

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    i thought this was fun and enjoyed it. don't really understand all the hate,

Music isn't about 'fun' and 'enjoyment', its about being able to pwn other people on the internet, with your encyclopedic knowledge and endless opinions on everything.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the one i posted is my second favorite. animal > all

• HamHam 872 Posts
    Terry Bozzio is great on the Frank Zappa - Baby Snakes DVD. but that whole solo drummer 999999 toms thing doesn't do much for me.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    the one i posted is my second favorite. animal > all

"Animal was my favourite drummer. I couldn't get this off my mind last summer."

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    I play drums and bass, the latter for 20 years. I like great drumming, musical drumming, where there is chordal support from the rest of the band (like all the other soloists get) but when it's just the drums on their own I zone out.

Honestly, all drum solos bore me. Yeah, I said it. I am already over it. Trying to stop people being able to count to 4 isn't big or clever.

Closely followed by 99.999% of bass solos too (I like hearing the cutlery rattle in the background though. That has always inspired me.) These instruments are not designed to do that job - it is not by accident they present a physical hurdle to speedy noodling...

Sheesh, if you want to be in the spotlight, don't play bass or drums. I am just in it for the groove.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,898 Posts
    BTW ?uest and Barker can play.

• I like great drumming, musical drumming, where there is chordal support from the rest of the band (like all the other soloists get) but when it's just the drums on their own I zone out.

I could say the same about turntablizm. Done musically with other beats or instrumentation I can dig it but 20mins of wickiwickiwak does my head in.

But back to drums Purdie for me is unfuckwithable and i could listen to him play solos all day because it does have space and groove. I have been lucky enough to have heard him play one of the kits I made at NAMM many years ago and he just played it so sweetly. As a drum maker it was such a buzz to hear something I have made being played so well. There were many other big name cats at NAMM who played our kit faster and harder and who had more proficient chops but none could make it sing like Bernard.

I remember him saying "When you play you should make love to your kit"

• technical prowess

• Barker cant play...those rolls he does suck and if you cant roll worth a shit, ya cant play drums worth a shit, its like he is using rolling pins...dude has no style at all.

At least ?uestlove can find a pocket...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dudes actually calling Ahmir a "mediocre drummer" need to get off that shit and recognize that dude is an amazingly talented drummer.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I play drums and bass, the latter for 20 years. I like great drumming, musical drumming, where there is chordal support from the rest of the band (like all the other soloists get) but when it's just the drums on their own I zone out.

Honestly, all drum solos bore me. Yeah, I said it. I am already over it. Trying to stop people being able to count to 4 isn't big or clever.

Closely followed by 99.999% of bass solos too (I like hearing the cutlery rattle in the background though. That has always inspired me.) These instruments are not designed to do that job - it is not by accident they present a physical hurdle to speedy noodling...

Sheesh, if you want to be in the spotlight, don't play bass or drums. I am just in it for the groove.

this is like the most wrong thing ever posted
    lol @ 'drum solos = turntablism'