Records That Sound Nothing Like They Look

13»

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Yes, O.B. McClinton was a black man who recorded for a Stax subsidiary, and that's why his four Stax/Enterprise elpees usually wind up being filed under "soul," even though he was a country singer (and he was always doing C&W versions of R&B songs). Although by country standards, McClinton was damned good (esp. on Live At Randy's Rodeo, pictured above, and Obie From Senatobie).

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

No lie. There should be repercussions for an album that falls so short of its cover potential.

I've run up on this LP here and there and figured it was some kind of loungey, poor-man's-O.C. Smith kinda deal, just based on the way it looked. Like one of those LP's you'd expect to have "Little Green Apples," "Wichita Lineman," and/or "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" on it.

It's not as bad as Mr. Lonely. A less funky Lou Rawls.
    There are some real lame-o bullshit that I could throw in the mix here.
    This one is just total deception, no biker psych garage raer here:

And there's a really awful record that is by Alshire or Somerset or something called Underground Psychedelic Sounds or something, but it is FUCKIN BAD PRE ROCKABILLY BILL JUSTIS BULLSHIT! Holy fukk, I'm still sour about that one.

And there's a really awful record that is by Alshire or Somerset or something called Underground Psychedelic Sounds or something, but it is FUCKIN BAD PRE ROCKABILLY BILL JUSTIS BULLSHIT! Holy fukk, I'm still sour about that one.

I think I know what you're talking about. I forget the band name, but the title is something like Guitar Underground on the Premier label? Love that record, even though the music doesn't match the visuals. But then again, I'm also a fan of 1950's rock & roll, so I can relate.

I think this originally came out on Crown as Twangy Guitars by Bill Boyd, and then it was passed from one budget label to another like a joint, rereleased under a different name and title each time.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

I think I know what you're talking about. I forget the band name, but the title is something like Guitar Underground on the Premier label? Love that record, even though the music doesn't match the visuals. But then again, I'm also a fan of 1950's rock & roll, so I can relate.

I think this originally came out on Crown as Twangy Guitars by Bill Boyd, and then it was passed from one budget label to another like a joint, rereleased under a different name and title each time.

Yeah, that shit. Song titles like "Psychedelic Snow?" Ridiculous. I was tempted to snap the record in half.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Yeah, that shit. Song titles like "Psychedelic Snow?" Ridiculous. I was tempted to snap the record in half.

The funny thing about that album is, the reason it sounds like an
    early 60's Ventures-lite group instead of the promised psychedelia
    is because it WAS an album released in the early 60's, in fact it
    was released 3 times, each subsequent pressing made to look more "up
    to date" with the current sounds, including changing the song titles!

The funny thing about that album is, the reason it sounds like an
    early 60's Ventures-lite group instead of the promised psychedelia
    is because it WAS an album released in the early 60's, in fact it
    was released 3 times, each subsequent pressing made to look more "up
    to date" with the current sounds, including changing the song titles!

Right! Like I just said up there!

I think I've seen at least six versions, myself. And I accidentally bought three of them myself. The second and third time I just laughed at the deception (it didn't cost much), but after that, if I saw an album that even LOOKED like it could be the same record, I tried to hear it before I laid my money down...

• Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Disco Heat.

these dudes look so fu**ing cool!

whats the record like??

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    file under "looks like a turd but contains ":

file under "looks like a keeper but is ":

but what the hell do it SOUND like?

• there's an mp3 on the rehash site

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Disco Heat.

these dudes look so fu**ing cool!

whats the record like??

lolz, yeah that was the first record i thought about reading this post, and i have no idear why these two old dudes were put on the cover of this... its cosmic disco(funk), synth and rhodesy stuff, pretty cool actually!!

....also, this one is a prime example of something that just does not sound anything near how it looks:

....also, this one is a prime example of something that just does not sound anything near how it looks:

So we see how it looks. What does it sound like?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

i think the cover fits perfectly... look at those people and their dresses. the music is fancy dance music. the bands name, the weird cover. i actually do think that it looks like a psychedelic dance lp.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    the subtitle is: the dance platter for hot hours... so there you go

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Who's been deceived by this guy:

I got a woody the first time I found it.

Oh hell yeah. I remember my first time too. Now it seems like I see this every weekend.

Who's been deceived by this guy:

I got a woody the first time I found it.

Oh hell yeah. I remember my first time too. Now it seems like I see this every weekend.

And considering this record was distributed by a major label, that is one ghetto-looking label design...

i think the cover fits perfectly... look at those people and their dresses. the music is fancy dance music. the bands name, the weird cover. i actually do think that it looks like a psychedelic dance lp.

J*n sometimes i agree with you and sometimes i dont

only copped this cause i glanced at the titles and they seemed real strange....

the cover looks to me like a schlager fest

still (dont get me wrong) do luuuv that cover!!!

J*n sometimes i agree with you and sometimes i dont

only copped this cause i glanced at the titles and they seemed real strange....

the cover looks to me like a schlager fest

I thought the same thing. Those people look way too conservative to be associated with anything psych-y.

its pretty much just off the chain, very loose off beat (funky) instrumentation, plastic organ fenderbass fuzzguitar, and the vocals are waaay out... really weird.
    in other words: AWESOME record!!!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

its pretty much just off the chain, very loose off beat (funky) instrumentation, plastic organ fenderbass fuzzguitar, and the vocals are waaay out... really weird.
    in other words: AWESOME record!!!

don't tell anyone. people tend to hate that record!
    well, maritim has some pretty outstanding records with dance in the title. like the electric sound for dancng by hairy chapter. i didn't know the record before you talked about it. but the bands name and the strange looks on the peoples faces would have made me think that there must be something good hapening inside...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

but what the hell do it SOUND like?

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Yes, O.B. McClinton was a black man who recorded for a Stax subsidiary, and that's why his four Stax/Enterprise elpees usually wind up being filed under "soul," even though he was a country singer (and he was always doing C&W versions of R&B songs). Although by country standards, McClinton was damned good (esp. on Live At Randy's Rodeo, pictured above, and Obie From Senatobie).

I remember that one from my early days... also this one on Enterprise (when I still thought everything on Stax-related labels was soul).

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Band named after an adjective made into a plural noun? Check. Album title that sounds like a heavy political statement? Check. Album art that looks one step removed from the Black Power fist? Check.

You look at the cover, and it's like "HEY, THAT LOOKS LIKE SOME RIGHTEOUS SHIT!" And then you listen to it, and it sounds like...righteous shit.

• This one got me:

isn't even worthy of a stick. straight doodoo.