Records That Sound Nothing Like They Look

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Soul On Ice, ca. 4/3/05:
I would love to start a thread about 45's people bought where the title was like, "Funky Funking MotherFunker," on a usually good label, say, Sussex, and the artist's name was like, "Willie McSoul," and you get it home, hands shaking as you put it on the turntable, and it turns out to be bluegrass with kazoos!!
Well, this is the thread!- I had mighty high hopes for "Mr. Penguin" by Lunar Funk on Bell...funk, it is...good, it is not. (Although I understand the followup, "Slip The Drummer One," is really good, judging by the needle swipe I heard at a friend's house.)- The Candymen's two albums on ABC...five mod-dressing guys on the cover, you expect it to be a lost Southern garage-rock classic...turns out its' limp pop-psych, and it's not even good for what it is! Add on...

Comments

• ELECTRIC BLACK MAN

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Did I write that? It's pretty good!

B/W we already have dispute, cause I like those Candymen
    records ... I feel what you are saying, you hope they'll
    sound like the Gants or something, but they're nowhere near
    as bad as you make them out to be, IMHO.

• Did I write that? It's pretty good!

Here it is three years later and I was laffing my ass off at the "funky McFucker/bluegrass kazoo" bit, so you must have been doing something right. It's from a thread on dollarbin 45's...

• funny

• a fine album, I like it...but not even close to the psychedelic mind fuck the cover promises

• B/W we already have dispute, cause I like those Candymen
    records ... I feel what you are saying, you hope they'll
    sound like the Gants or something, but they're nowhere near
    as bad as you make them out to be, IMHO.

Maybe I need to hear them again. Understand, I'm a huge fan of Garage-Lite and pop-psych bands like the Cryan Shames, the Buckinghams and the Robbs, so I know that not all of this stuff is gonna sound all hard and punkish. But for some reason, the Candymen just left me stone cold.

• a fine album, I like it...but not even close to the psychedelic mind fuck the cover promises

While we're on the topic of psychedelic covers where the print is unreadable...I'm still wondering what the deal is with that album by the band Touch, on the Coliseum label...

• ELECTRIC BLACK MAN

OVER 1 MILLION PUBIS MONDS BRUNT AND COUNTING!

• I'm still wondering what the deal is with that album by the band Touch, on the Coliseum label...

These guys?

This album is not too bad, they're like a cross between King Crimson, SRC, and early Fleetwood Mac. They get intensely heavy in some parts, and within the same song they'll start adding a bit of folk melodies with pianos and whatnot. If you're familiar with Gypsy's In The Garden[/b] album, it's a bit like that. Melodic heaviness, I guess would be a good way of describing it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    does anything top "groove funk soul" by joe Castro?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

a fine album, I like it...but not even close to the psychedelic mind fuck the cover promises

yes, this album was a grave disappointment to me, no doubt because of the cover.

• damn, i like 'mr penguin'.

heres a classic "no it aint":

• I'm still wondering what the deal is with that album by the band Touch, on the Coliseum label...

These guys?

This album is not too bad, they're like a cross between King Crimson, SRC, and early Fleetwood Mac. They get intensely heavy in some parts, and within the same song they'll start adding a bit of folk melodies with pianos and whatnot. If you're familiar with Gypsy's In The Garden[/b] album, it's a bit like that. Melodic heaviness, I guess would be a good way of describing it.

Oh, thanks, but I actually have the album. I guess when I asked what the deal was, I meant why do people think this LP is so hot. I was kinda underwhelmed myself.

• I guess when I asked what the deal was, I meant why do people think this LP is so hot. I was kinda underwhelmed myself.

Not "hot" to me either, in fact I was kinda about it too, but I gave it a few listens in order to find something that was decent. Not mindblowing in any way, but decent enough. I've used it a few times in my mixes.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I bought an album called "Country Funk" that was neither.

• I bought an album called "Country Funk" that was neither.

On that same tip...a single called "C&W Meets R&B" by Urel Albert. Turns out it's a bunch of lame impressions of country stars singing AM Gold hits of the day (early seventies). Were they THAT out of touch in Nashville (or wherever) to think that R&B is a euphemism for Top 40 K-Tel pop?

• I actually like this record too, but by today's standards, this really shouldn't be colored "funky."

I think it's kind of up to the buyer to be able to make the
    distinction between what "funky" means pre-and-post "Cold Sweat"
    ... I mean, there are a ton of jazz records from the late 50's
    and early-mid 60's that have song titles like "Gettin' Funky" -
    if you buy a Milt Jackson LP from 1961 looking for breakbeat raer,
    you really have nobody to blame but yo' own damn self.

• I think it's kind of up to the buyer to be able to make the
    distinction between what "funky" means pre-and-post "Cold Sweat"
    ... I mean, there are a ton of jazz records from the late 50's
    and early-mid 60's that have song titles like "Gettin' Funky" -
    if you buy a Milt Jackson LP from 1961 looking for breakbeat raer,
    you really have nobody to blame but yo' own damn self.

And there were a surprising amount of country and surf records from the sixties that used "soul" as a catchphrase. Even though its' fairly well-known that country and older soul had a lot in common, I've seen that word used in the titles and liner notes of some of the most "mayonnaise" country records you've ever heard.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

- I had mighty high hopes for "Mr. Penguin" by Lunar Funk on Bell...funk, it is...good, it is not. (Although I understand the followup, "Slip The Drummer One," is really good, judging by the needle swipe I heard at a friend's house.)

My 45 has Mr Penguin backed with Slip the drummer one. I like the latter. The former, yeah, kinda tepid.

• - I had mighty high hopes for "Mr. Penguin" by Lunar Funk on Bell...funk, it is...good, it is not. (Although I understand the followup, "Slip The Drummer One," is really good, judging by the needle swipe I heard at a friend's house.)

My 45 has Mr Penguin backed with Slip the drummer one. I like the latter. The former, yeah, kinda tepid.

Your 45 must be a reissue on Flashback (which was Bell/Arista's "oldies" label).

The copy I (used to) have is on Bell. IIRC, the B-side was "Mr. Penguin, Pt. 2."

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

- I had mighty high hopes for "Mr. Penguin" by Lunar Funk on Bell...funk, it is...good, it is not. (Although I understand the followup, "Slip The Drummer One," is really good, judging by the needle swipe I heard at a friend's house.)

Your 45 must be a reissue on Flashback (which was Bell/Arista's "oldies" label).

The copy I (used to) have is on Bell. IIRC, the B-side was "Mr. Penguin, Pt. 2."

There's a part 2? Don't really think I need to heart that... Gimmick funk can really go either way. I have a soft spot for The Goat, though.

• Gimmick funk can really go either way. I have a soft spot for The Goat, though.

If it's the same record I'm thinking of (Freddy & the Kinfolk?), those nanny-goat noises get on my last good nerves.

What's up with "The Penguin" by Don Julian & the Larks?

Goes for crazy money, but what does it sound like?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

funny

^ (edit cover)

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I bought an album called "Country Funk" that was neither.

Oh, that private press shit-fest? The one with the whiteys in the tree on the cover? Not even worth the dollar I spent on it.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

ELECTRIC BLACK MAN

w-o-r-d.