so homeboy calls me up from the fleamarket....

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
and ask me if he should buy the cactus flower ost...can you go wrong with a quincy jones ost from 1969???

Comments

• nice one.....awesome sitar soul track on there "I needs to be beed with", nice instros and a proto drum n bass break for folks who buy records for that sorta thing...

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    nice one.....awesome sitar soul track on there "I needs to be beed with", nice instros and a proto drum n bass break for folks who buy records for that sorta thing...

never heard or seen the movie, but i was like buy the danm thing QJ 1969...cant be all wack, although i did a quick search through blaxploitation com and couldnt find any reveiew... weird?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    nice one.....awesome sitar soul track on there "I needs to be beed with", nice instros and a proto drum n bass break for folks who buy records for that sorta thing...

never heard or seen the movie, but i was like buy the danm thing QJ 1969...cant be all wack, although i did a quick search through blaxploitation com and couldnt find any reveiew... weird?

Not a blaxploitation movie, though. I think it's some kind of romantic comedy starring Goldie Hawn.

Not a blaxploitation movie, though. I think it's some kind of romantic comedy starring Goldie Hawn.

yeah im aware thats its not a blaxploitation thing, but blaxploitation.com lists all sorts of ost's, and the fact that the score is by QJ should be enough to include such a movie.. right?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

yeah im aware thats its not a blaxploitation thing, but blaxploitation.com lists all sorts of ost's, and the fact that the score is by QJ should be enough to include such a movie.. right?

Would u include Blow Up/Herbie Hancock just because he's Black making a score?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I consider your posts a blaxploitation film script just begging to made.

Who would score it?

not refering to QJ's skin color, but that he is a legendary music composer/ producer, and has quite a few dopeass ost's listed on blaxploitation.com... so why not the cactus thingy??

im sure they must have blow up included already... they havent?

Who would score it?

Well, I'd have to find someone Black to do it. If I did it myself, that would put the whole project in some undefinable gray area. Or would it be more exploitive? The mind reels.

not refering to QJ's skin color, but that he is a legendary music composer/ producer, and has quite a few dopeass ost's listed on blaxploitation.com... so why not the cactus thingy??

im sure they must have blow up included already... they havent?

No doubt. I think its just not Blaxsploitation or from the era/influence. Gator w/ Burt Reynolds isnt Blax but it is of the "era". Whereas that Goldie Hawn shit is probably st8 Hollywood.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Blaxploitation.com bases their inclusions around the sound of the OST rather than the plot of the movie so, in that case, "Blow Up" is included even though the movie itself doesn't fall into the canon.

If this other flick is missing, it's likely because neither the movie's themes nor the soundtrack qualify as "blaxploitation."

• Blaxploitation.com bases their inclusions around the sound of the OST rather than the plot of the movie so, in that case, "Blow Up" is included even though the movie itself doesn't fall into the canon.

Man that record doesn't even SOUND like Blaxploitation.

The Yardbirds? Hello??

Keep it funky, that schitt is included because there's a sample on it.

Who would score it?

Well, I'd have to find someone Black to do it. If I did it myself, that would put the whole project in some undefinable gray area. Or would it be more exploitive? The mind reels.

As long as one of the songs has a Dee Dee Bridgewater & Cassandra Wilson collabo.

Who would score it?

As long as one of the songs has a Dee Dee Bridgewater & Cassandra Wilson collabo.

Sounds perfect for the "Love Theme". That's for the scene where you get down with Catwoman. Of course, we'd need at least one, possibly up to three chase themes. I'm thinking Quincy Jones "Money Runner"-esque jams.

Also needed: Eastern-influenced theme for the fight scene where you demonstrate your karate skills. Yes, you know karate. You also have a sword.

Who would score it?

Sounds perfect for the "Love Theme". That's for the scene where you get down with Catwoman. Of course, we'd need at least one, possibly up to three chase themes. I'm thinking Quincy Jones "Money Runner"-esque jams.

Also needed: Eastern-influenced theme for the fight scene where you demonstrate your karate skills. Yes, you know karate. You also have a sword.

No karate and no sword......save that for Blade.

Street Fu/Capoeira and Batarangs....w/ Brazillian Funk/Hip Hop fight score.

who is Catwoman? Or better yet Talia....

As far as Chase scenes Id prefer one running scene, one car chase, and one boat chase scene.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    this thread is creepy

this thread is creepy

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts

Ah, OK - I misunderstood. I forgot they covered other genres on that site.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    and ask me if he should buy the cactus flower ost...can you go wrong with a quincy jones ost from 1969???

Yes, it the seller prices it at $50,000 and thinks his ost shrink still sealed collection is worth more than $10 a pop.

Funny because I came across a few Qunicy Jones OST sealed, including the raer "In Cold Blood"